White Sox Intl Review

bmags

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2021-22-international-reviews-chicago-white-sox/

One new guy I think, and a late last period signing Badler included since he had so much free time because the white Sox signed an incredibly teeny class again.

Which is a good strategy because they get less draft picks than every team in their division.

Which is ok because they don’t have a budget.

This got a lot of shit, but was spot on

On 1/18/2022 at 11:00 AM, bmags said:

Never said anything about worst, in fact I said this:

I am pointing out that our classes have rarely been much different in volume than what was initially reported from Badler. Right now it's at 3. So if it's 4 or 5, that still leaves this as a very small class. My issue with this is it would make more sense with the way Shirley is drafting by going after 2-3 key draft targets to bring in volume with intl, instead they are both going after smaller classes.

I have no doubt that some additional transactions will occur (as with Bailey, Guzman, Rodriguez), but with an additional six months I don't understand why we are being so conservative with our budgets.

Here is the write-up on the 2021 class signee:

The White Sox technically signed Venezuelan righthander Marcelo Valladares later in 2021, so they were able to fit him into their bonus pool from the previous signing period, but he will make his pro debut this year. He has a lot of good projection indicators, with a lanky 6-foot-4 frame, good arm action and ample room to grow a fastball that has touched 93 mph and could eventually be in the upper 90s. Valladares generates downhill angle from his high three-quarters slot with a repeatable delivery that helps him throw strikes, with solid feel for a breaking ball and changeup in a potential starter profile.

Not sure of age, probably will find out for DSL.

16 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I didn’t have Rodriguez or Mendez. They have money left though which is obviously an issue. They planned on signing RHP Angel Cruz for a fairly significant amount but he failed a drug test. Not sure if that’s why. 

This may well be why we didn't have the big signing day right away.  This happened a couple of years ago too right?  Someone's kid it seems like?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen him in a while but just in case @GenericUserName would love if you could share your thoughts.

I wonder if this guy was gonna be signed by us in 2019 and then that agreement collapsed with the Govt?

In this thread since we've signed obviously Yolbert, Colas, Yoelkis and Vera. now Chappeli. (not really drawing lines to what happend in 2019, we sign a lot of cubans in general).

For anyone wondering why I posted that thread, Generic had this post:

On 4/3/2019 at 11:53 AM, GenericUserName said:

Prieto is my top available guy with Loidel Chapelli being close behind. Both of those guys have hit in every international tournament and Prieto has hit in the CNS. Cespedes is probably going to get a lot of coverage because of his name, but I think he is massively overrated when compared to Prieto.

To me that doesn't seem likely considering this agreement probably came about after we could have been agreeing to deals, but it might be a nice coincidence especially considering it seems like the Sox like older international guys more than other teams.

I’m writing him up now. Solid signing this late in the game. He defected with 12 others from Mexico last year. Sox had like $850K still because of their failed deal with RHP Angel Cruz. 

Also, the Sox offered Luis Danys Morales $2.5 million for next period. He’s taking over $3 million from Oakland instead. I’d heard that Sox were confident they could acquire more money in January but the player settled on Oakland. It’s significant because $2.5 million is all the White Sox have available in the next period due to pre deals. I’m wondering if some of the others who defected with Chapelli are coming as well in January. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bmags said:

For anyone wondering why I posted that thread, Generic had this post:

Prieto is dominating the minors so far this year. Really wish we could have gotten him. Only cost $650k. I imagine we didn't have enough money at the time.