Casual Fans

Texsox

19 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Excitement is always going to be in the eye of the beholder, though.

I thought 1977 and especially 1990 were super exciting.   Neither ended in playoff appearances.

Good call. 1972 was also a great season. Don't know if you're old enough to remember it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zisk said:

Good call. 1972 was also a great season. Don't know if you're old enough to remember it.

No, just 2.  One of the things that got me really excited back then was this movie…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_in_a_Million:_The_Ron_LeFlore_Story

Of course, he would later play for the Sox in that amazing 1983 season.  Most of that movie was actually filmed in Clinton, Iowa, in their WW IIish minor league stadium.

https://www.davehoekstra.com/2021/08/10/iowas-real-field-of-dreams/

First baseball card and autograph was Claudell Washington, 1979.  First game was actually Cubs/Cards at Wrigley mid-1979.  Distinctly remember Gary Templeton.

7 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

Can anyone remember the last time TLR made a move where you were like "GOAT status omg!!!!"

I don't know about that statement being pertinent to 2022. Look, many (most?) managers yank many (most?) of their starters in the sixth inning and play revolving relievers the rest of the way. I think managers at that point of the game aren't as important as GMs who stocked the team with good or bad relievers. It's Hahn's fault more than TLR if the bullpen implodes in a game IMO.

Again, regarding the lousy lineup that one game vs. Cleveland. Managers rest players a ton nowadays and it's frustrating but it's not a Tony disease. Most all of 'em do it. The players seem to like playing for him. That's a plus right there. I'm not a pollyanna. I thought it was ridiculous Leury batting third two games in a row but TLR did give a reason at least. He had his reason.

Peace out.

Edited by greg775

Since my distaste of playing baseball in less than 40° was brought up, any suggestions on getting northern teams to give up some early April home dates? Perhaps more home dates to dome and southern teams? Revenue sharing? Neutral site games? 

8 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Since my distaste of playing baseball in less than 40° was brought up, any suggestions on getting northern teams to give up some early April home dates? Perhaps more home dates to dome and southern teams? Revenue sharing? Neutral site games? 

There aren't enough southern or Dome teams.

Would have to use some minor league parks like Charlotte...which would impact the AAA and AA schedules.

Playing in Mexico, Puerto Rico...would at least promote the sport but logistics and safety/security issues.  Maybe Cuba or the Dominican, but those would be much more complicated.

You still have the fairness issue with those teams giving up too much summer time revenue for April/May and September games.

31 minutes ago, Texsox said:

It's not that the northern teams don't want to give up April home dates, it's that the southern/indoor teams don't want to have more. Even in warm weather, April/May attendance is worse because kids are still in school.

5 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

It's not that the northern teams don't want to give up April home dates, it's that the southern/indoor teams don't want to have more. Even in warm weather, April/May attendance is worse because kids are still in school.

I'm saying northern teams play six to eight less home games. 

I confess I watched maybe 6-7 innings of the Tribe series. Look baseball even for hardcore fans is something you sorta flow in and out of during the season. I got so pissed watching Tim and the other guys why would I even keep watching that shit? Turn it on maybe if they stage a comeback or something.  There's 162 of these damn things and it's April it's OK to check out for a while.

Hell, the team is!

3 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I confess I watched maybe 6-7 innings of the Tribe series. Look baseball even for hardcore fans is something you sorta flow in and out of during the season. I got so pissed watching Tim and the other guys why would I even keep watching that shit? Turn it on maybe if they stage a comeback or something.  There's 162 of these damn things and it's April it's OK to check out for a while.

Hell, the team is!

Apparently SoxTalk needs to install a feature that tracks how much game time we take in during the season so everyone can criticize each other as fans.

Edited by caulfield12

How many White Sox fans in the world will watch every inning of a VV Saturday afternoon start?

Minnesota won Thursday with a sac fly, it's almost a given another division rival will continue the momentum sweep on road unless Giolito can somehow stop the bleeding on Sunday.

Edited by caulfield12

On 4/22/2022 at 10:30 AM, pettie4sox said:

I'm telling yall TLR sucks and is the reason the Sox got swept.  A manager's job is to put the team in the best position to win.  He does the complete opposite.  Can anyone remember the last time TLR made a move where you were like "GOAT status omg!!!!"  you would legit have to look back over a decade ago when he was managing the Cards and still had all his faculties.

Neither TLR nor Donovan are good at putting their teams in the best possible position to win.

Edited by GradMc

In my experience “casual fans” often have a more realistic — and accurate — conception of the team’s performance than diehards, especially in baseball’s marathon season.  They check in on the team in 10-20-game chunks and get a good sense of long term trends rather than living and dying by every game, which is not really even helpful in a 162-game season.  It’s what makes die-hards capable of viciously debating “blowing things up” after an injured team wins *only* 3 of its first 4 series of the season.  Casual fans look at a spectacle like that and think — “wow, this seems kind of crazy.”  And they’re right.

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Apparently SoxTalk needs to install a feature that tracks how much game time we take in during the season so everyone can criticize each other as fans.

I've signed up for the implant through the Sxxtalk link I was emailed to track such things.  That's you guys right?  The procedure is scheduled for next Tuesday so I hope so.

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

I've signed up for the implant through the Sxxtalk link I was emailed to track such things.  That's you guys right?  The procedure is scheduled for next Tuesday so I hope so.

At least now the advertising is gone.  And they were totally able to bypass the Shanghai port Covid logjam by electronic means.

No doubt Sox talk has some of the most knowledgeable fans around and I dont post a lot as I'm a casual fan who loves my teams. Currently I have much more to worry about such as my girlfriend being very ill and possibly losing a big account at work and a VIP business decision to make soon.

That being said, now I',m older I don't let Sox victories or defeats effect my moods very much

On 4/22/2022 at 11:16 AM, zisk said:

I do and lordy what a season. We hung out regularly to watch the great Dick Allen.

Only Konerko's Series Grand Slam topped the walk-off homer Allen hit off Sparky Lyle to sweep the Yankees in a doubleheader.

Edited by GradMc

I'm not a casual fan but I live out of state, I make trips to Chicago to watch Sox in person, have MLB.TV subscription and went to Houston to watch them lose to Astros in the playoffs.

I've watched one game this year, I just can't get excited for it.  I hate to be Debbie Downer but I don't think Sox win anything with TLR at the helm.  He was such a terrible choice for a manager, it might have worked for a bit last year but this team is just a drag ever since ASB last year. 

1 minute ago, justBLAZE said:

I'm not a casual fan but I live out of state, I make trips to Chicago to watch Sox in person, have MLB.TV subscription and went to Houston to watch them lose to Astros in the playoffs.

I've watched one game this year, I just can't get excited for it.  I hate to be Debbie Downer but I don't think Sox win anything with TLR at the helm.  He was such a terrible choice for a manager, it might have worked for a bit last year but this team is just a drag ever since ASB last year. 

So with a 6-2 start you still couldn’t get up to watch this team? That convinced? It’s obviously been a week from hell and injuries since the lockout ended are absolutely insane. But this team is still plenty talented to win this division handily even in spite of TLR. I hate Tony with a passion and agree he was an awful hire, and I’ve felt that since day 1. But assuming this team can shake this malaise in the next couple weeks, we should be fine even if the Sox don’t do the right thing and move on from LaRussa asap. 

My 'casuality' is in some ways affected by the team's performance. If the Sox have won their last game, I'll watch other games that are on while the Sox aren't playing. I'll watch MLB Quick Pitch the next morning. If the Sox have lost their last game, I avoid anything baseball on TV until the next game. As a losing streak grows, I get to the point where I don't turn the game on until right at first pitch. I'm getting to the point where I might wait until the 3rd inning just to see if the game is even worth turning on.

I don't consider myself a casual fan. 

I've been a fan since 1994 when I moved to the US and learned about baseball. 

I pay for mlb package bc I want to watch the games. 

I catch a game a year when they come to Tampa and I've flown to Chicago and specifically timed it to watch a games.

I own a lot of Sox clothing. 

I've just never understood letting something you dont have anything to do with consume you and alter your mood. It's a game. I'm very happy when they win. When they lose I get upset for about 10 minutes and then remember my life doesn't change win or lose. The Sox never go to bed upset about something that happened to me lol