Eloy Out 6-8 Weeks

Chick Mercedes

42 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I wish Eloy a speedy recovery and success. However at this point, he is a bust until further notice. He is stuffing to stay healthy and has been inconsistent since his rookie year.

Can't argue with this. But he's a bust IMO only cause of injury. If he coulda stayed healthy somehow with those physical tools I think he'd have been a terror at the plate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Can't argue with this. But he's a bust IMO only cause of injury. If he coulda stayed healthy somehow with those physical tools I think he'd have been a terror at the plate. 

Somebody needs to emphasize pulling the ball in the air with him. If he had an approach like Marcus Semien did last year with Toronto, he'd easily hit 50+ home runs with his physical tools. 

The injuries definitely hurt him, but his results with the Sox were never ideal even before the injuries these past 2 years. 

• Like 2

Feel terrible about thus. Eloy is my favorite player on this team and also I think his bat was critical to any chance the Sox have  to go deep in the playoffs.

Set aside the numbers, the guy  has been a clutch hitter.

So Eloy was busting it down the line. He did that on Opening day and was safe on an otherwise GIDP which then allowed the winning run (Robert) to score. We have have seen countless MLB players, including  guys on our current roster, who hit first base awkwardly and sustain hamstring and other injuries.

Going all out to make a play  is not always the best idea. I saw Vaughn coast in LF  today and allow a bloop to drop instead of charging t and diving to try and catch it. I was not mad about that at all. In fact,, I thought Vaughn showed good judgment. He looks like he has learned  a  valuable lesson about self-preservation vs making one play. Eloy hasn't or maybe he has now.

Having said all that, players should practice how they hit first base according to their stride to avoid that common injury.

Maybe make first base flatter or let the runner run past it and have a video ( like they have at horse tracks)  to see if a runner got past the base in time.

Absent some physical changes at first base, this kind of injury will continue to be part of the game.

Edited by tray

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Missing that much time...he likely wouldn't be able to re-establish any kind of hitting rhythm or consistency just like last year in the 2nd half.

Eloy hit like crap for about a week and then got extremely hot. Then he disappeared for most of September. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Missing that much time...he likely wouldn't be able to re-establish any kind of hitting rhythm or consistency just like last year in the 2nd half.

We don't know that. It is a different kind of injury.

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Feel terrible about thus. Eloy is my favorite player on this team and also I think his bat was critical to any chance the Sox have  to go deep in the playoffs.

So Eloy was busting it down the line. He did that on Opening day and was safe on an otherwise GIDP which then allowed the winning run (Robert) to score. We have have seen countless MLB players, including  guys on our current roster, who hit first base awkwardly and sustain hamstring and other injuries.

Going all out to make a play  is not always the best idea. I saw Vaughn coast in LF  today and allow a bloop to drop instead of charging t and diving to try and catch it. I was not mad about that at all. In fact,, I thought Vaughn showed good judgment. He looks like he has learned  a  valuable lesson about self-preservation vs making one play. Eloy hasn't or maybe he has now.

Having said all that, players should practice how they hit first base according to their stride to avoid that common injury.

Maybe make first base flatter or let the runner run past it and have a video ( like they have at horse tracks)  to see if a runner got past the base in time.

Absent some physical changes at first base, this kind of injury will continue to be part of the game.

They'd probably suffer another injury or two just practicing it...

• Like 1

Just now, tray said:

We don't know that. It is a different kind of injury.

Well, obviously Luis Robert seemed to shake his injury off...considering the initial reactions of he might never be the same player again.

Haven't seen the sprint speeds yet this year, he might be running at 90-95% compared to last year.  

10 minutes ago, tray said:

There would be a problem making first base flatter:  the first baseman has to be able to find it by feel.

As to coasting to the ball:  it's about playing smart and knowing the game score and situation.  If you're losing 7-0 you should never dive.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Sorry, out of town. From all I've read its looking like a 6-8 week type injury.

No worries - you know I like joking around with you man. Hope you’re having a good time brother and thanks as always.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I just watched the play.  Fuck.  Blew a hamstring running to 1st.  Can't even blame oafishly playing the field either.  

Another point about the flatness of 1B...I had the worst case of plantar fasciitis from landing with all my weight on the heel and not the front part of the foot like they always teach you to do.   Almost the exact opposite (Eloy mistimed his steps and ended up clipping the back of the bag awkwardly), because I lunged forward with my foot instead of running right through the bag.

8 hours ago, gogosox1959 said:

MLBTR update:

Michael Conforto Undergoes Season-Ending Shoulder Surgery

By  |  at 

Michael Conforto underwent surgery on his right shoulder earlier this week, the New York Post’s Jon Heyman reports (via Twitter).  Conforto will be sidelined for the entire 2022 season but is expected to be ready for Spring Training

Wow. This guy must be depressed. Turned down a $100M+ extension offer recently and now will be lucky to earn even half of that over the rest of his career. Greed got the best of him.

25 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Wow. This guy must be depressed. Turned down a $100M+ extension offer recently and now will be lucky to earn even half of that over the rest of his career. Greed got the best of him.

All that energy we spent pining for him. This is the reason no one was signing him. 

• Fire 1

Eloy not busting it down the line cost the Sox an out on Friday night. It also potentially cost them the game, but the way way they are hitting, probably not. Now he does the right thing and bam. He is another guy you can count on to get hurt every season. TA should be having some leg issues soon.

• Like 1

Sox kind of have to find a bat now right? AV now takes over LF where he should have been to begin with. Pollock RF and Sheets now primary DH. Jimmy mentioned on Twitter that Sox should sign Justin Upton. I believe he would only cost the league min. Guess you could give Adolfo a shot now as well, though he certainly hasn’t earned it in his SSS in AAA. In the interim, I suppose Engel is in the OF and AV Dhing against LHP. But hitting lefties still definitely isn’t this teams problem. 

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox kind of have to find a bat now right? AV now takes over LF where he should have been to begin with. Pollock RF and Sheets now primary DH. Jimmy mentioned on Twitter that Sox should sign Justin Upton. I believe he would only cost the league min. Guess you could give Adolfo a shot now as well, though he certainly hasn’t earned it in his SSS in AAA. In the interim, I suppose Engel is in the OF and AV Dhing against LHP. But hitting lefties still definitely isn’t this teams problem. 

Yeah might as well grab him at league minimum. Had a decent spring if I recall.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• Heads22 changed the title to Eloy Out 6-8 Weeks