Time to Sacrifice Dallas

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I totally can respect that point of view, but I’m not sure a random AAA arm would be any worse at this point than Dallas.

I’d still like to find a way to shake things up though even if it’s not sacrificing Dallas.  The positional guys aren’t delivering, but just not sure what you can do there.  I hate blaming the hitting coach, but perhaps that’s what it needs to come to at some point.  In reality, a new manager with a little life to him would probably reinvigorate the team, but Jerry will never let it happen.

Bevington had more life than Lamont.  Just sayin'.

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This team is a mess and needs a fucking wake-up call.  Given the GM & manager are likely off-limits, I think it’s time for Dallas to be DFAed.  He’s an automatic loss at this point and would make a perfect sacrifice given his veteran status.  Also, with an off-day this coming Thursday, we can skip his next start and buy us a bit more time for Cueto to be ready.

What do you guys think?  Is now the time to cut bait on Keuchel?  If not now, how much rope do you give him?  Either way, something big has to happen to snap this team out of its funk.

I honestly believe the players feel exactly the same as the fans during a Dallas start. His release wouldn’t be done to “shake up the team,” as much as removing waste and eliminating the feeling of an automatic loss before the 1st pitch. I don’t care who the body is replacing him, as long as it’s not another pitcher with a terrible attitude and an inability to locate a 89 mph fastball

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

Until Lynn and Cueto pitch and show they're healthy and effective I would not DFA him. I would send him to the pen based on performance and send a message to the team that if you don't perform you lose your job. Hell, use an "opener" in his spot until the other guys are ready. Every game he pitches is a bullpen day anyway, so just make it official. 

• Like 2

Whilst Keuchal has undoubtedly been poor this season, he has had very little offensive support across his 4 games 10 runs in 4 games to be precise, and 5 of them came in the 9th yesterday. In two of his losses the team mustered a grand total of 1 run in support. He is definitely a 5th or 6th starter but we knew that already, but the biggest problem is the absolutely pathetic offense that is doing nothing to help out the starting pitching no matter how weak that pitching has been.

2 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Whilst Keuchal has undoubtedly been poor this season, he has had very little offensive support across his 4 games 10 runs in 4 games to be precise, and 5 of them came in the 9th yesterday. In two of his losses the team mustered a grand total of 1 run in support. He is definitely a 5th or 6th starter but we knew that already, but the biggest problem is the absolutely pathetic offense that is doing nothing to help out the starting pitching no matter how weak that pitching has been.

He has an 8.40 era. I don’t think it’s run support that is hurting him. 

1 hour ago, T R U said:

He has an 8.40 era. I don’t think it’s run support that is hurting him. 

Most of that is caused by the one game, in the others he has allowed 3, 4 and 0 runs. I'm not saying he is good, or that he should necessarily stay on the team, just that when your 5th starter is giving up 3 or 4 runs and getting no run support he will lose, and last night was not his fault as the pen once again coughed up runs and they cost us. 

7 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Most of that is caused by the one game, in the others he has allowed 3, 4 and 0 runs. I'm not saying he is good, or that he should necessarily stay on the team, just that when your 5th starter is giving up 3 or 4 runs and getting no run support he will lose, and last night was not his fault as the pen once again coughed up runs and they cost us. 

Dallas would probably agree it wasn’t his fault. 

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

It's not like he's Jose Quintana, having his 0 ER or 1 ER starts spoiled by a lousy offense. Dude is bad in his own right and would need the offense to put up 6 runs through the first two innings for anyone to confidence that we'll be able to hold on.

4 hours ago, Chimpton said:

You're giving him too much credit.. hes allowed 36 base runners in 15 IP. Even if you take out "that one game" hes still walked 10 batters! the last 2 starts in 9 IP.

That leads to long defensive innings, and could effect the offense.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShoeLessRob said:

As terrible as he is, he is nowhere near the the top 10 reasons this team is playing so poorly. Sad. 

..but as soon as the offense performs to even 50% of its capabilities, he will be one of the top 5 reasons this team is losing.

One thing to remember is that at the end of May, the 13 pitcher limit resumes.

If everybody is healthy at that point (I know that's unlikely) and Cueto is up, you have exactly 13 pitchers with no options (or obviously not getting optioned):

Cease, Giolito, Kopech, Lynn, Cueto

Hendriks, Graveman, Bummer, Kelly, Lopez, Ruiz, Velasquez, Keuchel

So, keeping Keuchel means optioning Banks (1.29 ERA in 14 IP), Foster (0.90 ERA in 10 IP) and Burr. Now, maybe Banks and Foster regress by then so you don't mind optioning them, but if those guys continue to be very good, can you really justify sending them both to Charlotte and keeping Keuchel?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If everybody is healthy at that point (I know that's unlikely) and Cueto is up, you have exactly 13 pitchers with no options (or obviously not getting optioned):

So, keeping Keuchel means optioning Banks (1.29 ERA in 14 IP), Foster (0.90 ERA in 10 IP) and Burr. Now, maybe Banks and Foster regress by then so you don't mind optioning them, but if those guys continue to be very good, can you really justify sending them both to Charlotte and keeping Keuchel?

So basically has one more start to show something or else he’s likely out?  Seems to make some sense.

I'm trying to think of contracts the Sox jettisoned due to poor performance.  Obviously there's John Danks.  I'm drawing a blank on the utility guy we signed I think who had been on the Rays and just sucked so they dfa'd him early in the season.  Any help who I'm thinking of?

20 minutes ago, wegner said:

I'm trying to think of contracts the Sox jettisoned due to poor performance.  Obviously there's John Danks.  I'm drawing a blank on the utility guy we signed I think who had been on the Rays and just sucked so they dfa'd him early in the season.  Any help who I'm thinking of?

Keppinger. 

Keuchel is worth DFAing just so they don't risk his option vesting if he turns it around or they need him to eat innings due to injury. 

Have Lambert or some other schmuck get lit up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Keppinger. 

Keuchel is worth DFAing just so they don't risk his option vesting if he turns it around or they need him to eat innings due to injury. 

Have Lambert or some other schmuck get lit up. 

Yes Keppinger....thanks Jack.

36 minutes ago, wegner said:

One other guy they dumped was Kelvin Herrera, but that was in the shorter 2020 so they ate less money.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Not so fast about keeping Cueto in the rotation when Lynn comes back. Give VV more rope. I'm telling you guys, the stuff is there. If he can pitch to around a 4.00 ERA or better for the rest of the month I'd ride with him over Cueto. More upside. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

I had some hope that his stuff (or at least his command) would regress a bit to the back of his baseball card -- hasn't happened. As @Jack Parkman noted Dallas was probably a sticky stuff guy. 

If they move him to the pen right now, who gets his next start? That's my only question. I wouldn't cut him it's not quite that time yet. Could be very soon.

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Not so fast about keeping cueto in the rotation when Lynn comes back. Give VV more rope. I'm telling you guys, the stuff is there. If he can pitch to around a 4.00 ERA or better for the rest of the month I'd ride with him over Cueto. More upside. 

I agree VV has a chance to keep his spot. I was just pointing out the logjam we're about to have.

Can you imagine if Tanner Banks, finally in the majors after 700+ minor league innings, gets sent back down with a sub 2 ERA so they can keep Dallas Keuchel and his 9+ ERA?

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I had some hope that his stuff (or at least his command) would regress a bit to the back of his baseball card -- hasn't happened. As @Jack Parkman noted Dallas was probably a sticky stuff guy. 

If they move him to the pen right now, who gets his next start? That's my only question. I wouldn't cut him it's not quite that time yet. Could be very soon.

Lopez 2 innings, Ruiz 2 innings, Banks 2 innings. Better than sending Keuchel out there at this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I agree VV has a chance to keep his spot. I was just pointing out the logjam we're about to have.

Can you imagine if Tanner Banks, finally in the majors after 700+ minor league innings, gets sent back down with a sub 2 ERA so they can keep Dallas Keuchel and his 9+ ERA?

Lynn won't be back until next month anyway, so we have 3 starts to figure it out. I think DK gets DFA if/when Cueto gets called up. If they choose to release Cueto, then we have a problem. 

Also, because of what happened Lynn is probably going to be on a pitch count his first few starts. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

One other guy they dumped was Kelvin Herrera, but that was in the shorter 2020 so they ate less money.

Pretty sure Linebrink too.

MacDougal.

Did Emilio Bonifacio have a guaranteed deal?

Paulino or Holland?

Some other names that come to mind...

Edited by caulfield12