AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Would have given us about .05% chance of winning when Reylo was in that jam…good to see this team with resiliency and heart.

The pitching staff (minus Keuchle) is legit. Once we can actually consistently play baseball in weather above 65 degrees the offense will pick up and we will cruise back to 1st place.

27 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Interesting how every other division is beating up on the AL Central while the Sox are 3-9 against the division and 10-4 against everyone else.

Wild. Also...that is going to change. Sox will feast on central for the rest of the year.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For sure. Game threads are a dumpster fire where everybody sucks and there's no chance of winning. It's Eeyore City in there.

To be fair, this team has a handful of players that truly do suck.  No one is saying Anderson or Robert or Cease suck. Keuchel, Pollock and Harrison suck :)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, fathom said:

To be fair, this team has a handful of players that truly do suck.  No one is saying Anderson or Robert or Cease suck. Keuchel, Pollock and Harrison suck :)

Sure they do. But it's not like we're half way through the season. There's a lot of terrible baseball for stretches at any point in the season from tons of players. Some actually do recover and have great 2nd halves just as some good 1st halves go sour in the 2nd half. Gotta take it all in stride.

Sorry I doubted the team. My bad.

They are probably going to earn my respect pretty soon. Love me some Abreu and Liam and Engel. And Cease.

Boston 0-6 in extra innings; Chisox 1-2. Sox playing well and beating teams outside the Central Division. Nice win. Congrats to the team and LaRussa. Yes the hitters stunk but a few of them got hits late when it mattered a lot.

-- I just watched the highlights. Jose may be old but he's not a bad baserunner. I implore you to watch the replay of him scoring on the single to center. Perfect form taking off immediately and rounding third perfectly. A good throw might have gotten him but he was not running that slow, either. Cheers to Jose who is not finished yet. He'll have his doubters the rest of his career but he's still OK in my book. That double was a nice piece of hitting, stroking it to RC.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

For sure. Game threads are a dumpster fire where everybody sucks and there's no chance of winning. It's Eeyore City in there.

Sometimes there's reverse jinx involved in gamethread posts too. As much as we know it's dumb some of us fans may rip a player so the reverse jinx will hit and he'll get a key hit or key pitch on the mound. I need to stop that though.

2 hours ago, wegner said:

Haha, I read the scoring plays that showed Abreu hit scores Pollock in the 10th and I thought AJ finally did something....I had completely forgotten about the phantom runner.

Watching the highlights just now I was amazed to see Pollock scoring that run. Then it hit me also he was the phantom runner. I thought the same thing. He's been such an awful acquisition I wondered for a sec what he did to get on base.

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Watching the highlights just now I was amazed to see Pollock scoring that run. Then it hit me also he was the phantom runner. I thought the same thing. He's been such an awful acquisition I wondered for a sec what he did to get on base.

And the answer was make the last out in the 9th 🤣🤣

Do they give those phantom runners an actual run scored in their stats?

6 hours ago, wegner said:

Haha, I read the scoring plays that showed Abreu hit scores Pollock in the 10th and I thought AJ finally did something....I had completely forgotten about the phantom runner.

And he was on second because he made the last out in the top of the 9 th.!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Would have given us about .05% chance of winning when Reylo was in that jam…good to see this team with resiliency and heart.

The pitching staff (minus Keuchle) is legit. Once we can actually consistently play baseball in weather above 65 degrees the offense will pick up and we will cruise back to 1st place.

Minnesota is for real this season, so it will take more work than last season to win the division.

12 hours ago, greg775 said:

Sometimes there's reverse jinx involved in gamethread posts too. As much as we know it's dumb some of us fans may rip a player so the reverse jinx will hit and he'll get a key hit or key pitch on the mound. I need to stop that though.

From my perspective the front office and injuries are truly responsible for the state of the team. I'm sure many others feel this way. However , I have to believe the players have enough talent to overcome the front office and I have to believe that miserable starts to the season can turn around. It does me no good whatsoever to think the front office AND the players suck.

Sometimes fans just have to be cheerleaders . I see no point in thinking winning is impossible on a daily basis , predicting bad outcomes or that the season is lost because of bad early results. We all know the season is a grind.  I do not wish to ride some emotional roller coaster of living and dying based on every failed situation in every game and dwelling on who is performing well and who isn't. My Sox fandom relies on rooting for the players to succeed in the games and when they do not it's on to the next batter , pitcher and game and continuing to believe in them. What is the point of always thinking the worst ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

From my perspective the front office and injuries are truly responsible for the state of the team. I'm sure many others feel this way. However , I have to believe the players have enough talent to overcome the front office and I have to believe that miserable starts to the season can turn around. It does me no good whatsoever to think the front office AND the players suck.

Sometimes fans just have to be cheerleaders . I see no point in thinking winning is impossible on a daily basis , predicting bad outcomes or that the season is lost because of bad early results. We all know the season is a grind.  I do not wish to ride some emotional roller coaster of living and dying based on every failed situation in every game and dwelling on who is performing well and who isn't. My Sox fandom relies on rooting for the players to succeed in the games and when they do not it's on to the next batter , pitcher and game and continuing to believe in them. What is the point of always thinking the worst ?

If the players have enough talent to overcome the front office, didn't the front office evaluate them correctly?

• Like 2

Just now, ptatc said:

If the players have enough talent to overcome the front office, didn't the front office evaluate them correctly?

The front office did nothing to improve the team except for maybe relief pitching. And since it is a long season some of the players now on the team may not be on the team later and replacement players may do better. The front office may also do better fixing their mistakes later in the season. Try not to think in the moment . There will be some luck involved regarding the future of the team's performance.

15 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The front office did nothing to improve the team except for maybe relief pitching. And since it is a long season some of the players now on the team may not be on the team later and replacement players may do better. The front office may also do better fixing their mistakes later in the season. Try not to think in the moment . There will be some luck involved regarding the future of the team's performance.

I'm probably one of the few long term thinkers/planners in the entire site.

The point remains that if the team succeeds in the long term for the season, regardless if what fans think prior to or early in the season, the front office will have succeeded.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

TO be honest, I think this is a better team on paper than it is last year.  The one area I am concerned about is depth.  But the injuries that the White Sox have had to overcome in the first half are pretty extreme.  And I am not sure many teams would have had the depth to overcome them.  Having said that, if this is the real Velezquez that we are seeing, the Front Office did their job in finding a good starting pitcher.  

I honestly think a lot of the complaints of the White Sox can be applied to the Red Sox.  They got lucky and made some good acquisitions at the Trade deadline last year.  HOwever they did nothing to fill the holes that those acquisitions left and they did nothing to improve their bullpen and it's now a disaster.  The Red Sox are going to finish way under .500 this year because they don't have the talent to be a playoff team.

9 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

TO be honest, I think this is a better team on paper than it is last year.  The one area I am concerned about is depth.  But the injuries that the White Sox have had to overcome in the first half are pretty extreme.  And I am not sure many teams would have had the depth to overcome them.  Having said that, if this is the real Velezquez that we are seeing, the Front Office did their job in finding a good starting pitcher.  

I honestly think a lot of the complaints of the White Sox can be applied to the Red Sox.  They got lucky and made some good acquisitions at the Trade deadline last year.  HOwever they did nothing to fill the holes that those acquisitions left and they did nothing to improve their bullpen and it's now a disaster.  The Red Sox are going to finish way under .500 this year because they don't have the talent to be a playoff team.

You're not concerned that the Sox did nothing in the off season to address the lack of LH hitting while the Sox continue to look just like they have since after the ASB last year ? A good Moncada would help but that would still be the same cast of LH or switch hitters from last year.

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're not concerned that the Sox did nothing in the off season to address the lack of LH hitting while the Sox continue to look just like they have since after the ASB last year ? A good Moncada would help but that would still be the same cast of LH or switch hitters from last year.

Of course I'm concerned. I said so early on about pitching. 

The front office however deemed it not so much. We'll see if they are correct. 

55 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

Curious to know why you think they improved so much? 

12 hours ago, ptatc said:

My biggest fear is that the Sox will go out and win the World Series and fool the world into thinking the front office built a World Series-winning team.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

My biggest fear is that the Sox will go out and win the World Series and fool the world into thinking the front office built a World Series-winning team.

Your biggest fear is that the Sox win the World Series and you can still find something to be upset about?  Umm, sure.  Love to have that problem.

• Like 1