GT 5/13: Yankees @ SOX, 7:10 pm CT, NBCSC

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

They weren't good enough last year either, and with the roster inflexibility/lack of surplus value on contracts, it's hard to see how they ever will get there. 

If they're going to continue prioritizing relievers and utility infielders over impact players, then I would agree it will be hard to get there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

“Price range.” The money will be spent, remember? We all talked about the luxury tax and how they still had some money left. They must really just want a middling team they are disguising as one that is competing for multiple championships. Talk about misinformation.

B….b…but they have spent the money! Foolishly. Next offseason we’ll go through the same motions again

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They weren't good enough last year either, and with the roster inflexibility/lack of surplus value on contracts, it's hard to see how they ever will get there. 

I hate to break it to you, Rodon wouldn't help this team much either. 

Rodon has been arguably the best pitcher in baseball so far this year. Of course he would be making a massive difference on this team.

1 minute ago, The Beast said:

Sure. Blame is on him. But the blame is also on the players and their shitty performance and on the octogenarian who wants to take money to his grave. Asshole.

The payroll is plenty high enough to contend this year.  They just spent it on players that can’t compete against good teams.

• Like 1

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

Rodon has been arguably the best pitcher in baseball so far this year. Of course he would be making a massive difference on this team.

He was the only one who shut down the Yanks last year on the Sox 

1 minute ago, Sarava said:

If they're going to continue prioritizing relievers and utility infielders over impact players, then I would agree it will be hard to get there.

Hahn has been overvaluing relievers long before Tony got here, too. That's just what the Sox do organizationally.

Just now, Sarava said:

I still want to understand the rationale of stocking up on bullpen arms. A shorter game? Not when the starters struggle and can’t get a quality start, then relievers are hung out to dry. I’m still wondering why there’s a glut of 1B/OF types out there.

Just now, Sarava said:

They will light money on fire on the Eatons, Garcias, Harrisons and such rather than commit money medium to long term for a true impact player. 

• Like 2

Just now, White Sox Park said:

There is that quote where Reinsdorf said it's better to be a 2nd place team..

Something about dangling the carrot, right? 

And so many White Sox fans are right there alongside Reinsdorf, as if its their money on the line. “Rodon isn’t worth the QO risk or a Two year deal.” 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

Something about dangling the carrot, right? 

And so many White Sox fans are right there alongside Reinsdorf, as if its their money on the line. “Rodon isn’t worth the QO risk or a Two year deal.” 

Not bringing back Rodon is fine if they actually spent that money wisely. They didn't. 

Kopech has been nearly as good as Rodon. 

Blame the Keuchel contract. That's where Rodon's money went. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

The payroll is plenty high enough to contend this year.  They just spent it on players that can’t compete against good teams.

Exactly. They also didn’t get enough of a balanced roster to contend against good teams.

2 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

B….b…but they have spent the money! Foolishly. Next offseason we’ll go through the same motions again

Exactly. And the moves won’t make sense.

2 minutes ago, White Sox Park said:

There is that quote where Reinsdorf said it's better to be a 2nd place team..

Yep and the same fans show up to see the middling team year after year. Fuck him.

Just now, fathom said:

Sure doesn’t sound like it

Because the old man wants to roll around in his grave in his money.

• Like 1

We are not contenders right now.

BUT its 162

We look like a minor league team compared to Yankees.

I never want to see another line up with Josh Harrison and leury Garcia and butch Mcguire....BUT it was be forced down my throat 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

BUT its 162

I never want to see another line up with Josh Harrison and leury Garcia and butch Mcguire....BUT it was be forced down my throat 

Exactly what I was thinking. It’s the Kane County Cougars versus the Yankees.

Maybe the septuagenarian needs to understand who he is putting in the lineup… 

its crazy the difference in the competitive level of the at bats.

the yankess make you battle them and throw strikes - work your ass off

we just get up their and flail away -its been that way for a long time and its never going to work.

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

BUT its 162

But we suffered through the rebuild to build this "Championship Core!" LOL  This is our window to contend for "multiple championships"  LOL!  And if you believe that, Jerry's  got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

3 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I'm gonna say it's easier to win with a bad offense if you have a top 3 pitcher in the sport taking starts that are currently going to Keuchel and VV. But that's just me.

I'm gonna say that they were never going to spend $22M on Rodon with Keuchel taking up 18M in payroll. Keuchel was going to start for 2-3 months. 

It's the opposite of what a good team would do.