Menechino is movable

brijames1957

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I wonder if he actually listened to his coaches, unlike last year.

Curious who initiated the meeting.  Was TLR ripping the coaches for the poor hitting?  Ignoring their input and deflecting blame?

Firing a hitting coach now, especially a guy the players like, is the sacrificial lamb move. Had to do something. This was cheap, but nothing will change, and a new voice isn't going to suddenly make them all hit .300 with 40 homers and  100 walks. If they want to shake things up, it will take a trade of a popular guy, or LaRussa and/or Hahn being shown the door.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Firing a hitting coach now, especially a guy the players like, is the sacrificial lamb move. Had to do something. This was cheap, but nothing will change, and a new voice isn't going to suddenly make them all hit .300 with 40 homers and  100 walks. If they want to shake things up, it will take a trade of a popular guy, or LaRussa and/or Hahn being shown the door.

I think this team is in a bad headspace. Chirping at media is a symptom. And they are in a bad approach to the game. Walks at the bottom of the league, yet don’t hit. Manager has crazy lineups. No accountability. Jerry Reinsdorf is enabling it all, and the dysfunction will continue with or without the hitting coach. There has to be competent leadership that know what to do, and that’s not going to get fixed apparently 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The hitters are well aware they're underperforming.  They don't need someone fired to wake them up or to light a fire under them.  They just need to put together more quality at bats and that's 100% on them.  Now back to your regularly scheduled meatball thread.

Why have coaches at all?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Hahn didn't want LaRussa, and Tony didn't ask Jerry for the job, no Sir this one falls on JR, unfortunatly we can't get rid of JR.

I still have no idea if hitting coaches matter that much and how much they do. Do they look at tape of opposing pitchers the night before and come up with overall and individualized game plans, or is that advance scouting dept? Even if hitting coaches just go over tape of their own players and  try to identify things they can adjust to improve, that itself seems like too much workload for one person.  Are modern day hitting coaches just the delivery boy for scouting/analytics? If so, players liking them is the most important thing and there are issues elsewhere, but at the end of the day there are good and bad hitters on every team so the vast majority of success clearly depends on the individual. If I was making 10+ million a year to hit a baseball , I would definitely just hire my own personal video guy and or coach if I felt I needed more help than I was getting.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Sacrificing lambs worked

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The hitters are well aware they're underperforming.  They don't need someone fired to wake them up or to light a fire under them.  They just need to put together more quality at bats and that's 100% on them.  Now back to your regularly scheduled meatball thread.

We agree on something. 😁

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

"They just need to put together more quality at bats and that's 100% on them". Yeah you have a great point, Reinsdorf can save a lot of money and have no coaches, especially a hitting coach. Hell, who needs a hitting coach? Not our Sox...they should just let all the players take turns being the hitting coach. We can start today with Leury Garcia and tomorrow we can assign Grandal. Yep, that will do it. 

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

That's may not be the best focus this year with the new ball flying less.

Other teams manage to hit plenty of HR's . The Astros had 5 in one inning the other day and the Yankees have 3 guys with 10+ HR's.

4 of the 5 during that  5 HR inning were pulled. Kyle Tucker hit 2 in the game and both were pulled. JD Martinez hit a HR and it was pulled. 2 HR's that game weren't pulled Big Yordan Alvarez hit one oppo and Rafael Devers hit one just to the right side of CF.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I think this team is in a bad headspace. Chirping at media is a symptom. And they are in a bad approach to the game. Walks at the bottom of the league, yet don’t hit. Manager has crazy lineups. No accountability. Jerry Reinsdorf is enabling it all, and the dysfunction will continue with or without the hitting coach. There has to be competent leadership that know what to do, and that’s not going to get fixed apparently 

This makes me wonder whether the constantly changing lineups is directly affecting the hitting negatively.  Other than TA, the players haven't really had consistent "roles" day in and day out, and have had different players hitting in front of and behind them in the order, which I would think leads to inconsistent approaches/gameplans day in and day out, which I could easily see as negatively affecting their hitting.     

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, almagest said:

No hitting coach is preaching to swing at garbage out of the zone and never take a walk. There is no coaching or approach on earth that would help players doing this. This is all on the players.

Counterpoint:

Coaches have a job help players to have a strategy at the plate.
Constantly swinging at garbage outside of the size and never taking a walk to me says that there is no strategy (or, at best, insufficient strategy)... especially when these tendencies become persistent patterns.

Ergo, I would argue that this current widespread slump is on the coaches just as much as it is on the players.

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Counterpoint:

Coaches have a job help players to have a strategy at the plate.
Constantly swinging at garbage outside of the size and never taking a walk to me says that there is no strategy (or, at best, insufficient strategy)... especially when these tendencies become persistent patterns.

Ergo, I would argue that this current widespread slump is on the coaches just as much as it is on the players.

Coaches don't get in the box to hit, players do. You don't think every single player in this lineup knows how they're going to be pitched? Of COURSE they do. It's on them to not swing at garbage. There's nothing a coach can do or say short of benching the entire roster to stop all of them from swinging at trash.