Menechino is movable

brijames1957

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

His style works for the early 80's Cardinals but not for a beer league softball team that doesn't have the young athletic fellas.

I mean, it even works for the juiced ball league when the ball could just launch itself.

Now...no.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

His style works for the early 80's Cardinals but not for a beer league softball team that doesn't have the young athletic fellas.

His style definitely doesn't work for a team that is the worst I can remember at situational hitting.

4 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

1334 by the 1941 St. Louis Browns

852 plus however many last night

274 for next 39 at this pace of 7+.

1139.  About 200 off.  Was that 154 games though?  So not really all THAT close in reality.

Just feels like that because of all the frustration building up.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

1139.  About 200 off.  Was that 154 games though?  So not really all THAT close in reality.

It feels like the Sox have been bad at getting in RISP for the last 15 years. This year is just extra bad because the bar was set so high. This team is toast. 

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Considering the era its close enough

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

It’s simply amazing that whatever he teaches results in a singles offense wherever he goes.  Like what in the entire fuck 

Those Marlins teams were usually god awful on offense but they were also consistently last in the league in home runs. The only year where they weren't in the bottom 3rd in homers was when Stanton hit 59 homers in 2017. Even with Stanton hitting almost 60 homers they were still 9th in the NL in homers that year at 194. That was also when MLB started juicing the baseball. But you know what Frank's teams were usually top 5 in? Batting average. During his 6 year tenure with the Marlins they were top 5 in BA 4 times. They were top 5 in runs scored just once and that was the season Stanton hit 59 homers. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I believe Menechino will be fired.  I think they are saving him to be the scapegoat so they don’t have to make broader institutional change.

Very possible. Remember TLR went through six hitting coaches when he managed the A's. 

2022 team stats correlations to runs scored and Sox ranks:

GB%: -0.49 / 4th

O-Swing: -0.30 / 1st

K: -0.23 / 24th most (9th fewest)

1B: 0.22 / 1st

BB: 0.58 / 29th

ISO: 0.82 / 29th

So the worst things to rank highly in are ground ball rate and out of zone swing percentage and the Sox are 4th and 1st in those stats.

Strikeout rate and number of singles have minimal impact on scoring runs and the Sox do very well at both of those.

Walk rate and Isolated power (SLG-AVG) have HUGE impacts on scoring runs and the Sox are only better than Detroit in both.

This team is emphasizing (and even admitting to emphasizing) things that don't translate into scoring runs.

There is causation here too. Swinging at more pitches outside of the zone leads to fewer walks and more ground balls. More ground balls lead to more singles and fewer extra base hits.

As someone who's statistically inclined it's horribly frustrating to see the problem so clearly and have the team completely ignore it.

I know there there was a graph showing that the Sox have the fewest analytics employees in MLB, but even they have to be aware of this data, don't they?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I know there there was a graph showing that the Sox have the fewest analytics employees in MLB, but even they have to be aware of this data, don't they?

I'm not sure which is worse.

Option 1: no - the team (analytics department) isn't aware of these horrible and disturbingly inept offensive numbers
Option 2: yes - the team is aware but isn't acting on it.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I would like to know more about who these analysts are, are they buddy hires like Duncan or do they actually have analytical experience? On paper we have 5 but in actuality that number could be 0

5 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I believe Menechino will be fired.  I think they are saving him to be the scapegoat so they don’t have to make broader institutional change.

I just.....can't wrap my head around how this org can go into 2023 with LaRussa in the dugout.  I am still in the "believe it when I see it camp" for sure, but holy fuck, there is no way they're THAT incompetent.  

The unwavering confidence in this approach in the face of data, results, etc is pretty incredible.

It’s like, here’s my pizza delivery business. Our policy is to punch every customer in the face before we hand them the pizza. We have hundreds of lawsuits and the business keeps decreasing, but we must not be punching the customers hard enough.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I just.....can't wrap my head around how this org can go into 2023 with LaRussa in the dugout.  I am still in the "believe it when I see it camp" for sure, but holy fuck, there is no way they're THAT incompetent.  

Would just show Jerry doesn’t care about winning, he cares about doing things his way.  It’s sad what this organization is these days.