Menechino is movable

brijames1957

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dumb question. Does batting practice help teams snap out of slumps? Because this team looks like they are just taking batting practice. They look like they have shit approaches to the plate. They look injured.

They look nothing like they did last year.

Honestly I’m off the fire Menechino thing. If he ends up being the scapegoat, fine, whatever. I’ll take a pulse over nothing. But with the way they seemed to turn a corner offensively the past couple weeks, this recent dud is 100% on the players IMO.

6 hours ago, Snopek said:

Honestly I’m off the fire Menechino thing. If he ends up being the scapegoat, fine, whatever. I’ll take a pulse over nothing. But with the way they seemed to turn a corner offensively the past couple weeks, this recent dud is 100% on the players IMO.

Menechino should have always been fired regardless of a short hot streak.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Snopek said:

That recent hot streak was basically all singles pounded into the ground or blooped the other way that started getting around the defense. It was the part of the season where the bad gambling bets actually turn into wins for a little while so you decide to keep gambling longer before you lose your entire house.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 7:25 AM, zisk said:

Although the Sox stink on offence any way you look at it. Why does Larussa insist on benching any player who has a decent game?

Moncada riding the pines after Saturday nights homer is just the latest example. TLR has probably lowered our runs output 10%

all by himself by doing this. And every time he sits a hot bat, he always replaces him with Nate Harrison.

God I miss Jim Fregosi.

You mean Jeff Torberg...best White Sox manager I witnessed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Sox had the 7th best wRC+ in June at 115.  This was a significant improvement vs. what we saw from March to May, where we ranked 25th overall with an 88 wRC+.  However, below are our splits in June (left of pipe) and from March to May (right of pipe).

• BB rate: 6.5% (28th) | 6.4% (30th)
  • K rate: 22.2% (17th) | 19.8% (5th)
  • ISO: .128 (26th) | .124 (26th)
  • HRs: 20 (27th) | 41 (23rd)
  • BABIP: .351 (1st) | .275 (25th)
  • GB rate: 45.6% (4th) | 45.9% (5th)
  • LD rate: 20.1% (18th) | 18.3% (29th)
  • Oppo rate: 27.1% (6th) | 26.6% (4th)
  • Hard rate: 28.9% (23rd) | 26.6% (28th)

As you can see above, most of these metrics remain directionally same.  Yes, our line drive rate improved to middle of the pack, but our hard hit rate rank didn’t change all that much and our ISO was nearly identical.  The reality is the bulk of our improvement is likely due to batted ball regression.

The sad reality is we remained the groundball, opposite field heavy team that only hit 20 HRs in the month of June.  The Yankees for reference hit 58 HRs this past month.  We can’t expect to win this division when we play half our games in a HR heavy ballpark and rank in the bottom in key power indicators.  

A team wide change in approach is desperately required and Frank Menechino should be fired immediately in hopes of salvaging this season.  We can’t afford to wait any longer with injuries and Tony also key factors holding us back.  A change at hitting coach is needed and needed now.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have no clue why Steverson was ever fired. 2019 was such a promising year. 

Steverson was fired because, in 2019, the combination of Leury Garcia, Yolmer Sanchez, Adam Engel, Yonder Alonso, Ryan Cordell, John Jay, Ryan Goins, Charlie Tilson, and Jose Rondon combined for 2,577 plate appearances, which dragged the team hitting stats down in a way that no hitting coach could overcome.

If they had looked instead at these guys, they might have kept him:

Player / ISO in 2019 / Career ISO / Difference

Jimenez / .246 / .231 / +.015

Moncada / .233 / .173 / +.060

Abreu / .219 / .222 / -.003

Castillo / .209 / .171 / +.038

McCann / .187 / .139 / +.048

Anderson / .173 / .159 / +.014

=====

So there was essentially no impact on Jose Abreu and slight impact on Eloy and TA, but Moncada, Castillo and McCann (all on different teams now) had substantially higher ISO in 2019 than their career totals. Firing Steverson and replacing him with a guy known for high contact and low ISO screams one or both of two things: 1) the Sox as an organization have no clue what metrics drive hitting success or 2) a decision-maker in the organization had a personal connection with Menechino and insisted that he be brought in and Steverson fired. The timing of Menechino getting hired a year after getting fired by Miami, and not coinciding with a new manager, strongly suggests #2.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Can we steal Minnesota's hitting coach?  We have more (historical) power in our lineup but are embarrassingly behind the Twins in HR on the season.

The Twins are going to dominate the central for this whole decade. Their organization is very well run and they are one of the leading analytical teams.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

The Twins are going to dominate the central for this whole decade. Their organization is very well run and they are one of the leading analytical teams.

Well, they didn't go out and hire a Duncan for their analytics position because he was the son of Tony's BFF.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1