Menechino is movable

brijames1957

I've never been a fan of blaming the hitting coach, but the entire team with a power outage in an era of baseball where the home run has never been more important?

Every day they do nothing is a missed opportunity to at least try to improve.  It's pretty clear status quo is going to mean status quo. They won last night which is great. They scored 2 runs. Perhaps the Charlotte hitting coach should be on the plane with Perez. 

• Like 2

I just dont understand why they didnt fire Menechino months ago. Now next season IF, and thats a big IF we get a new guy hes going to have to figure the team out from scratch next year. Why not get him in there NOW to try and salvage next year as well? Holy fuck this systemic approach to hitting is the WORST I have ever seen in MLB. WORST

• Like 4
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Quin said:

I have no idea when this was from, fwiw.

I think that was from late 2020 or early 2021.

At the time I was actually on board with it. The offense had relied so incredibly heavily no the home run that it was feast-or-famine a lot of games.
I interpreted his "fuck the home run" attitude as a "let's focus on good at-bats as a primary approach, and home runs will come." Not "don't hit home runs."

You know - I was viewing it though a lens of common sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeC said:

I think that was from late 2020 or early 2021.

At the time I was actually on board with it. The offense had relied so incredibly heavily no the home run that it was feast-or-famine a lot of games.
I interpreted his "fuck the home run" attitude as a "let's focus on good at-bats as a primary approach, and home runs will come." Not "don't hit home runs."

You know - I was viewing it though a lens of common sense.

Yep, I agreed with the approach initially thinking that it would be a BALANCED approach to hitting. In reality it seems he genuinely advises against the HR and the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Only dingers: susceptible to "feast or famine"

Only singles: 4 hits to drive in one run

Balanced approach: success??

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Yep, I agreed with the approach initially thinking that it would be a BALANCED approach to hitting. In reality it seems he genuinely advises against the HR and the pendulum has swung too far the other way.

Only dingers: susceptible to "feast or famine"

Only singles: 4 hits to drive in one run

Balanced approach: success??

With less than two strikes, you should be looking to drive the ball in the air. With two strikes, get some contact. Sox seem to be using a 2-strike approach on every pitch.

8 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

With less than two strikes, you should be looking to drive the ball in the air. With two strikes, get some contact. Sox seem to be using a 2-strike approach on every pitch.

And then Josh Harrison takes a seat on the 2-seat approach, but that's another thread haha