Hahn’s 2022 Offseason (So Far)

2 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Honestly, I'm realizing that I had a skewed view of Hahn's offseason.

I'll make the case that picking up Kimbrel's option and trading him was the right move (sunk cost, get something in return... which he managed to do). Other than that, I think I stand corrected.

It was a high risk low reward move. It was done to save face for the disaster of a trade They were a week before the season starts away from being stuck with him. Had Kenley Jansen resigned with Dodgers they’d be screwed. With the $16M I rather they sign someone outright who could stay on the field more so than Pollock.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

It was a high risk low reward move. It was done to save face for the disaster of a trade They were a week before the season starts away from being stuck with him. Had Kenley Jansen resigned with Dodgers they’d be screwed. With the $16M I rather they sign someone outright who could stay on the field more so than Pollock.

Not sure I agree with you on that part.
Other teams besides the Dodgers were in the market for a closer (Braves, for instance).

55 minutes ago, JoeC said:

Not sure I agree with you on that part.
Other teams besides the Dodgers were in the market for a closer (Braves, for instance).

I would assume other deals they looked at had them eating money and getting marginal value in return. There is a reason they couldn’t get a deal done until a week before season start. 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 10:41 AM, Balta1701 said:

We were specifically talking about the injuries here. Do the White Sox get to say "No team could ever replace a 0 WAR outfielder on the IL for a week that's just impractical to believe any team is ready for that kind of loss. The guys we've lost clearly are better than the guys the Twins had go on the IL, after all we lost a 0 WAR outfielder and they couldn't match that kind of loss."

They were actually winning without Vaughn. The winning streak started then but they were winning those hockey score games. I don't think the 2 are related at all. The pitching was just very good during the winning streak and the defense was better.

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They were actually winning without Vaughn. The winning streak started then but they were winning those hockey score games. I don't think the 2 are related at all. The pitching was just very good during the winning streak and the defense was better.

I think they were just playing the Cubs and Red Sox.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Richie said:

I don't know. But... this officially marks the first day that I am truly concerned about this team and have legitimate doubts about whether or not they'll get it together. There's plenty of time, but I've watched too many days of the same old song/dance over and over to stick with my "Ah, it'll be alright" attitude. I am not saying we're screwed, but I don't know if it will be alright anymore. This is really ugly right now. Nothing is showing signs of changing. I was hoping by now that we would at least be trending in the right direction. That most of our struggling bats would have their OBP's and SLG%'s showing signs of life and trending upward. 

Watching this team currently feels like a chore. When they fall down by more than one run, it feels like it might as well be a hundred runs. 

100% agreed.  Would be curious to know what the run differential was for the 2012 Tigers at this time.   That being said, that team went to the World Series and really only played solid baseball in it's final month.

2 minutes ago, Colome's Hat said:

100% agreed.  Would be curious to know what the run differential was for the 2012 Tigers at this time.   That being said, that team went to the World Series and really only played solid baseball in it's final month.

Through 38 games in 2012, the Tigers were 18-20 and had a -11 run differential. The Sox are 19-19 with a -27. So it's not that close. 

Cleveland was in first place at that time at 22-16, the exact same record the Twins have right now. 

That Tigers team was under .500 as late as July 5th that year.