Josh Donaldson suspended 1 game for comments toward TA

Buehrle>Wood

41 minutes ago, tray said:

"The White Sox Amateur City Elite (ACE) program provides a pathway to the game of baseball for more than 150 youth annually, while offering educational and mentorship programming aimed at pulling kids away from the dangers and potentially fatal distractions of Chicago’s violent neighborhoods.

In 2007, recognizing the lack of opportunities for young people of color to get involved in the sport, the White Sox established the ACE program with three main objectives:

1. Gain exposure for young ballplayers in Chicago’s under-served communities among college recruiters and scouts.
  2. Reverse the declining interest and participation in baseball among African Americans.
  3. Create a program that prepares each participant to succeed in life beyond the diamond."

Tim has been a big supporter of ACE and has mentored players including the Cubs Ed Howard because he shares the  goals of the ACE program.

Any comments that malign Tim's efforts in that regard  look like part of an Ultra-MAGA agenda.

Black men always have the spotlight on them and have to be some sort of "upholder of their race" or some shit which is something us white dudes really don't have to ever think about. TA has done about as well as you possibly can on and off the field in his efforts to promote baseball and promote the success of under privileged kids. We are lucky to have him as a player on the team we all love and a guy like Donaldson knows nothing, about TA, about what he means to Chicago and what it means to be a black man in America. He can fuck off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Fire 4

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Black men always have the spotlight on them and have to be some sort of "upholder of their race" or some shit which is something us white dudes really don't have to ever think about. TA has done about as well as you possibly can on and off the field in his efforts to promote baseball and promote the success of under privileged kids. We are lucky to have him as a player on the team we all love and a guy like Donaldson knows nothing, about TA, about what he means to Chicago and what it means to be a black man in America. He can fuck off.

And they have people waiting to parse their words and bastardize them for their own gains.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 2

44 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Anderson is a gem of a human being. Josh deserved a significant penalty but he's a Yankee and there are different rules for Yankees. The surprising thing is a lot of Twitter is calling Tim out for being soft. He didn't start this. Tim has been fine in all this; Josh not so much. He shoulda got at least a month on the sidelines. You can't bring up race and only get one game. Many have been canceled completely for less than this.

Edited by greg775

Donaldson clearly doesn't know Anderson like that. I don't for sure know if he had negative intent but it's not something you say unless you know the person well enough that he wouldn't take it that way.

That is why I don't really buy Donaldson defense him and anderson have history. There is no "inside joke"

I may have missed it, but has any current or past teammate come to Donaldson's defense?  He has played 12 years, 6 MLB teams, and no one has said "I know him, definitely not a racist"?  I find that interesting.

Also noteworthy that NYY put him on the 10 day Covid list today.  The face to face convos with TA and Grandal could be an issue.  Or maybe an excuse to get him out of the clubhouse for a while.

Edited by ThirdGen

8 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

I may have missed it, but has any current or past teammate come to Donaldson's defense?  He has played 12 years, 6 MLB teams, and no one has said "I know him, definitely not a racist"?  I find that interesting.

Also noteworthy that NYY put him on the 10 day Covid list today.  The face to face convos with TA and Grandal could be an issue.  Or maybe an excuse to get him out of the clubhouse for a while.

There's no way they could get away with putting him on the COVID list if he didn't actually have it.

13 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

First I've seen this. Out of the clubhouse ---not out of the question and wouldn't be without precedent.

"Wait, I don't have Covid."
"Yes. Yes, you do. Now STFU and go through protocol. In ten days we'll see how long this Covid is going to last. Hell, you might even have MonkeyPox too."

9 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Bingo.  For making a face that was 100% justified to a confirmed cheater and disgrace to the game.  But it showed up Manfred himself, that’s the difference.  Shows pretty clearly where the MLB’s priorities lie.

Kelly threw at a guy's head which is entirely objectionable. He also caused the benches to clear during the pandemic where there was a precedent for heightened punishments for any action that resulted in a bench clearing situation. There is really no comparison between Donaldson's situation and Kelly's. 

38 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Per rotoworld, Donaldson called in and said he had COVID  symptoms and wasn't tested by the team. He didn't even join the team at any point.

29 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

There's no way they could get away with putting him on the COVID list if he didn't actually have it.

Absolutely they could. This happens all the time. They couldn't put him on the COVID list if he weren't sick or exhibiting symptoms but he reported symptoms.

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Especially with his apparent views on COVID

I wasn't aware that someone's personal opinions were a consideration in the COVID protocols. Seems science-y. 

Edited by raBBit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since 2/3 threads on this subject have now been locked after a moderator’s opinions were challenged, will this one be too?  If so, can we clarify that political discussions are allowed on here, but only if you take the “correct” position?

or can we go back to not talking about politics on a baseball website now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Since 2/3 threads on this subject have now been locked after a moderator’s opinions were challenged, will this one be too?  If so, can we clarify that political discussions are allowed on here, but only if you take the “correct” position?

Just to give you some closure, I didn't close the previous thread and was in the process of replying to you while it was being locked, and therefore didn't see that it was closed when I hit reply. Because I'm an admin my reply went through despite the thread getting locked.

During a white sox game the benches cleared after a yankees player called Tim Anderson 'Jackie' and white sox players and their manager took offense. Posters have been talking about it, many within the rules, while others start calling people pieces of garbage. So threads end up locked. If this was between the Reds and Pirates, it wouldn't be in PHT.

But as always, feel free to send all moderator complaints to @Kyyyyle23. That's kyyyyle with 4 y's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wait, Donaldson is also a COVID denier? Or anti-vaxxer? Or both?

Did I miss this?

I also think it's pretty telling that not a single person has come out to support Donaldson as NOT being racist. Probably because ...he's actually a racist. 

I hope this completely blows up the Yankee locker room and they implode.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

51 minutes ago, Green Line said:

If you really think this about Soxtalk, you probably should find a new message board.

3 hours ago, ThirdGen said:

Not a single team mate that I've seen has said anything positive about the guy. I saw something on another forum that said the best thing team mates can say about him is that he's "intense" which is code for "complete asshat but can hit the ball a bit so we tolerate it".

• Fire 1

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-playoffs-avalanche-kadri-racist-comments-death-threats-fueled-game-4-hat-trick-blues-160010941.html

Who knew? Hockey...soccer, NASCAR, NFL/Gruden, what is the world coming to?

Seems we didn't simply "transcend" this problem as a country or society back in 2008.

In fact, the last 14 years have just served to bring racism in all it's various forms more into the open (overt) and out of the shadows.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

If you're white you're not allowed to have an opinion on if this was racist or not, that's up to Anderson. (he obviously was hurt and does) 

Unless you believe Donaldson is racist. Then you're allowed to have an opinion and tell others they can't have an opinion. That's how the world works. 

Even TLR knows this. He deemed this racist and as we all know from just a few years ago at his hiring  "he doesn't have a racist bone in his body". Definitely didn't have any situations where he was accused of being racist.

Or like ... maybe Donaldson is guilty of having many character issues with many people which may be because he's not happy with himself internally. A bit of projection if you may. 

FWIW - it's quite possible Donaldson does have prejudices against people who are not white. I do not think that this one occasion affirms this in whole. I do think there are enough other incidents that affirms he's not a very well liked person by most and is a dumbass.

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

This has nothing to do with politics, this is about basic human decency. That you see this as “political“ tells a lot about you.

As a son of a black father and as someone who is very visible black who had to deal with this bullshit. I have zero patience for people  handwaving racist ass remarks:;.

I have the following to say to you:

Go pound sand and use this time to reflect that this shit isn’t about you or partisan politics. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3
  • Fire 4

The Twins are saying all they need to say about this by what they're not saying.

https://mobile.twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1528943565535326208?cxt=HHwWgMDRlc-E87cqAAAA

If that’s MLB’s finding then one game is clearly not enough.

Don’t like my take?

Don’t care.

Save it. Suck it up. Not your column. Your take doesn’t count.

Pick any of those micro-aggressions you like.

Josh Donaldson saying “What’s up, Jackie” to Anderson?

That’s a racist micro-aggression that should pick up at least a few more games from MLB.

Donaldson reportedly is appealing the one-gamer.

If that defense consists of trying to show the league he’s something other than racist, Donaldson might actually find an unwitting character witness for his defense in the White Sox clubhouse.

Said Sox reliever Joe Kelly Monday on 670 The Score: “He’s a douche.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-trade-deadline-cubs-trade-004617941.html

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Green Line said:

I know you're just trying to stir up shit.. but it was pretty clear what type of posters got those threads locked. They ALWAYS show their true colors in those types of threads.

• Like 2

• Texsox locked this topic