Aaron Judge Critical Of Donaldson's "Jackie" Comment

caulfield12

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/aaron-judge-critical-of-josh-donaldsons-jackie-comment/

Unsurprisingly, only one of 21 comments after the story supported Anderson.

"Can't believe people are offering excuses for Donaldson and minimizing the comment. You just can't go where Donaldson went and it was very stupid of him to go that route - in New York of all places with both the media and Jackie Robinson's history - to try to rile Anderson up. Anybody with half a brain knows it's out of line."

Some went after Judge for going after a teammate and "wokeness."   One thought this would result in a mid-season trade of Donaldson.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Aaron Boone showed he’s the rare manager with a backbone in the Josh Donaldson fiasco

“When I first heard the name Jackie, I was really taken aback,” Boone said on Sunday. “Frankly, I was upset about it myself.”

From a human perspective, that’s a fairly easy statement to make. Not making racially driven jokes about people is a pretty easy thing to get on board with. But so often in the past, managers across Major League Baseball have let the name on the front of their jersey dictate their decisions. If the person under fire is on their team, the manager will often lean on empty statements about needing more information or reviewing things internally, even if it’s clear as day that their guy screwed up.

That’s not what Boone did at all. While he acknowledged that the context of the situation is important — Anderson said he felt like “today’s Jackie Robinson” in a 2019 interview and Donaldson told reporters that he’s called Anderson the name before in jest without it being an issue — Boone also drew a pretty hard line, by MLB manager standards, against Donaldson’s comments. In saying that he wants the notorious agitator to “rein it in” and “read the room,” Boone went about as close to denouncing his own player as a manager can.

Boone and his wife Laura have two Black children, Jeanel and Sergot, whom they adopted from Haiti. During the 2020 season, in the wake of Jacob Blake being shot seven times in the back by a police officer in Kenosha, Wisc., Boone broke down in a press conference when discussing how hard and heavy that year had been (see video below).

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-josh-donaldson-aaron-boone-20220523-ggbnlrdzczguvd64iowjagh66a-story.html

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

But he/Boone also said this…perhaps a bridge too far to state publicly you want your own player suspended.

Manager Aaron Boone said he didn’t believe Donaldson deserved a ban.

“I thought they were thoughtful and looked into it and did their due diligence on it and made what was a tough call,” Boone said, referring to Major League Baseball. “I don’t agree with it. I don’t think it warranted a suspension, but, I certainly respect their process, and I know JD is planning an appeal.”

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2022/05/yankees-aaron-judge-aaron-boone-react-to-josh-donaldson-suspension.html

This Day in Yankees History: Jackie Robinson calls out the Yankees’ racism

The first Black major leaguer took to television to decry the Yankees’ failure to integrate their roster by the 1950s.

Jackie Robinson flames the Yankees, however gently, citing racism as the sole reason the club had yet to integrate their roster. On a New York NBC daytime TV show, “Youth Wants to Know,” Robinson answered affirmatively when asked if the reason for the absence of players of color in pinstripes was prejudice. However, he was careful to cite the executives as the reason for Black players’ absences from the Yankee lineup, maintaining that the Yankee players were, “…fine sportsmen and wonderful gentlemen…”

By 1952, Jackie had spent six seasons in the majors, joined by at least a score of other Black players. The Yankees didn’t integrate until 1955, becoming the third-to-last team to do so when they called-up slugging catcher Elston Howard years after passing on opportunities to sign eventual Hall of Famers Ernie Banks and Willie Mays. By that time, there had been more than 50 players of color in Major League Baseball, none of whom played for the Yankees.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2020/11/30/21725663/this-day-in-yankees-history-jackie-robinson-racism-history-birthdays-steve-hamilton

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/24/aaron-judge-critical-of-josh-donaldsons-jackie-comment/

Unsurprisingly, only one of 21 comments after the story supported Anderson.

"Can't believe people are offering excuses for Donaldson and minimizing the comment. You just can't go where Donaldson went and it was very stupid of him to go that route - in New York of all places with both the media and Jackie Robinson's history - to try to rile Anderson up. Anybody with half a brain knows it's out of line."

Some went after Judge for going after a teammate and "wokeness."   One thought this would result in a mid-season trade of Donaldson.

Man, it's the NY Post.

Stand up for your racist coworker? No fucking way. I don't care if it's a corner bodega, a Fortune 500 company, or a baseball team, that crap shouldn't be tolerated anywhere. 

I have respect for Boone and Judge for being decent human beings. 

• Like 5
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Honestly our web site was as bad if not worse.

Yeah, but it's like, of course the comments on the NY Post are gonna be against Anderson in this case.

Here? Still disappointed. Especially in the guy who called Anderson "soft as baby shit."

It was a stupid insensitive borderline racist thing to say but it's not worth canceling Donaldson career over.

Donaldson will serve his suspension which should have been longer (I would have preferred something closer to 10 games), noone should defend him or his comments, but at the end of the day life goes on as does the MLB season. Time for everyone to move on.

Edited by wrathofhahn

9 minutes ago, wegner said:

Am I missing something?  Granted I have been very busy the last few days and have not been on here often but when I have been I have not seen much defending of Donaldson, etc.  I saw a typical dumb ass take by Mike North that someone posted but that's all I remember. 

The mods cleaned it up.  You really didn’t miss anything worthwhile. 

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

The mods cleaned it up.  You really didn’t miss anything worthwhile. 

Oh Ok thanks.  I should probably delete my post then.  I was just going to go back and read the posts since it was not fair to have others sum it up for me but it sounds like I'll just stay away from that.  Unfortunately I was able to catch all of Saturday's game and none of the double header.  Looks like I missed some fun on Sunday.

12 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

It was a stupid insensitive borderline racist thing to say but it's not worth canceling Donaldson career over.

Donaldson will serve his suspension which should have been longer (I would have preferred something closer to 10 games), noone should defend him or his comments, but at the end of the day life goes on as does the MLB season. Time for everyone to move on.

Nobody was cancelled or threatened with cancellation 🙄 

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Oh Ok thanks.  I should probably delete my post then.  I was just going to go back and read the posts since it was not fair to have others sum it up for me but it sounds like I'll just stay away from that.  Unfortunately I was able to catch all of Saturday's game and none of the double header.  Looks like I missed some fun on Sunday.

I missed Saturday’s game and only caught the twitter reaction to the Trash Donaldson saga so I was catching up too.  Sunday DH sweep was sweet revenge in more ways than one. 

Just now, Kyyle23 said:

I cancelled all plans to buy Yankees tickets until they get rid of Josh Donaldson!*

*Unless the Sox are playing them and I can see TA fuck with them. So basically, unchanged.

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

If anything the blue checkmarks are coming out of the woodwork to deflect and defend Donaldson’s “intent.”  As if we don’t already have a long documented history of the dude being complete and utter trash person on and off the field.  Telling people just to move on says you’re ok with all of it and just want to sweep it away as if it isn’t a raw nerve for people of the receiving end of demeaning and derisive comments. 

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I missed Saturday’s game and only caught the twitter reaction to the Trash Donaldson saga so I was catching up too.  Sunday DH sweep was sweet revenge in more ways than one. 

Do you get this same impression that I do....the Sox seem to have usually played better when they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  Maybe the Donaldson BS along with them being written off some due to the slow start will get them going?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wegner said:

Do you get this same impression that I do....the Sox seem to have usually played better when they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder.  Maybe the Donaldson BS along with them being written off some due to the slow start will get them going?

Hopefully

• bmags locked, unlocked and locked this topic