5/24 Pivetta vs. Cease 7:10

bmags

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Are they just having bad seasons or were they never good to begin with? 

Grandal was great last year.  Abreu has been a very good run producer.  Pollock was one of the best hitters in baseball the last few years.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

They’re not going to bring in a new first baseman or catcher or third baseman. It’s on the big name guys to show up this year.

Their 1B and C are just old and YoYo is on a good year, bad year yoyo since he got called up. He's incredibly inconsistent if you're being generous. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Are they just having bad seasons or were they never good to begin with? 

Grandal, Abreu, Pollock, and Moncada all have extensive track records of being very good players. It's fair to quibble with relying on old players on a team where you don't prioritize building depth, but it was impossible to foresee getting zero offensive production from all of those guys at the same time.

Eloy could be lumped in there too, but at this point it's probably not realistic to count on him to hit *and* stay healthy over anything close to a full season.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Grandal was great last year.  Abreu has been a very good run producer.  Pollock was one of the best hitters in baseball the last few years.

I wasn't talking about the old guys. I added that but the site is being wonky again. 

Their 1B and C are just old and. YoYo is on a good year, bad year yoyo since he got called up. He's incredibly inconsistent if you're being generous. 

You know that incredibly inconsistent title only works because in 2020 he was only worth 1 WAR for reasons that weren’t his fault.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, maxjusttyped said:

Grandal, Abreu, Pollock, and Moncada all have extensive track records of being very good players. It's fair to quibble with relying on old players on a team where you don't prioritize building depth, but it was impossible to foresee getting zero offensive production from all of those guys at the same time.

Eloy could be lumped in there too, but at this point it's probably not realistic to count on him to hit *and* stay healthy over anything close to a full season.

The only track record Moncada has is inconsistency and it's a bad bet to count on 35 year old players in Abreu and Pollock to keep it up forever. 

Grandal was good once, but it looks like he's Kirk Gibson ca. October 1988 at this point. His knees are shot. 

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Maybe Harrison will pitch and Cordero will hit a 3-0 homer and Cora will yell at him!   God, that’s so pathetic to even type.

I skimmed through your post and didn't think anything of it. Read it a 2nd time when i refreshed the page and now i'm dying laughing!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

You know that incredibly inconsistent title only works because in 2020 he was only worth 1 WAR for reasons that weren’t his fault.

If you look at his career since moving to 3b, he's actually been remarkably consistent. Relative to other players at his position. But Moncada discourse here is always illogical so what can ya do.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Did you see his offensive numbers in 2020? While he was dealing with covid, and it's no joke he still had a bad year offensively even if he had a valid excuse. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Um, That was fueled by his defense. Did you see his offensive numbers in 2020? While he was dealing with covid, and it's no joke he still had a bad year offensively even if he had a valid excuse. 

I ask again, if he went:

5 WAR
3 WAR
4 WAR

in 3 straight seasons, is that incredibly inconsistent?