TA out 3 weeks

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Exactly about Yolbert . Better to give him the shot now. We're supposed to wait for the new 2nd basemen search or for him to be given a shot next year and go through the ups and downs of being a rookie then ? Bring him up now while Tim is hurt and Moncada is hurtish and scuffling. IL Moncada if you must.

If you want Moncada's bat play him at DH or 2nd base. Let Burger take his lumps here too playing 3rd. These guys getting hurt so much like Moncada and Eloy need to start showing the ability to stay on the field and hit the way they are supposed to. They are all replaceable and need to adjust to a new position.

All the DH's need to be pared down as do the guys who always get hurt. If this is a lost season then play Eloy Yoan Vaughn and let them sink or swim and establish some trade value. Send Sheets down. Try Adolpho  for all I care. No reason to wait for September if you're always waiting for a healthy team and keep hovering around .500. Don't have the bats now to win many games.

We can’t even do that because the Twins are now down 4 starting pitchers and they haven’t been able to rely recently on the production or health of Correa or Buxton.

After the results of this past week, just not thinking that anyone has the ability to run away and hide in this division.  Not even the slumping Guardians are totally out of this with their easy June schedule. 

So it’s the worst of all worlds where we stick with the veterans because we’re still in the division or WC race, even without Anderson.  Of course, these next three series could really put us well back below .500 again.

39 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You’ve underestimated this by enough that I have to point it out. He’s -7 runs on defense in 30 games. Over a full season that’s about -40 runs below average on defense.

Bruh ngl I can't stomach most the games let alone checking fangraphs to measure the damage. This is a bad team that doesn't deserve fan interest right now.

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

There is something flawed there. He is no plus defender, but he's not that bad.

Part of me wonders if they have instructed him not to make the big play, so what you can, don’t leave your feet, etc. 

His range is awful in LF, there is no doubt he’s a bad LF. I also don’t blame Vaughn for it. 

I keep hearing oh yea everybody else in the division sucks too not time to panic. Come on. After losing Tim, on paper this is a 78-82 win team. I don't care how bad the rest of the division is someone will win 85 wins. Right now we are not even CLOSE to that sort of production.We just lost basically the only guy playing well in the lineup. We're an injury away from a starter from being a 75-78 win team. 

If by the 2nd week of July this team isn't 5--10 over I'd probably blow it all up. If you're sitting at 36-43 on July 6th there's absolutely zero reason to expect a turnaround.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I keep hearing oh yea everybody else in the division sucks too not time to panic. Come on. After losing Tim, on paper this is a 78-82 win team. I don't care how bad the rest of the division is someone will win 85 wins. Right now we are not even CLOSE to that sort of production.We just lost basically the only guy playing well in the lineup. We're an injury away from a starter from being a 75-78 win team. 

If by the 2nd week of July this team isn't 5--10 over I'd probably blow it all up. If you're sitting at 36-43 on July 6th there's absolutely zero reason to expect a turnaround.

Angels are coming back to earth.  Blue Jays have been underperforming, they’ll probably take off after this week, though.  Then there’s the Red Sox, Guardians and maybe the Mariners.

Just think Hahn or TLR are too stubborn to admit the obvious. 

Basically, we have to copy the Twins’ 2021 path…trading Giolito/Berrios, extending someone (Cease/Kopech), trading Donaldson and Cruz (which would be Abreu if he wants to leave, Graveman OR Hendriks, maybe Bummer, but then you have to hope Crochet is ready or go back into FA for relief help yet again.)  Cueto might have some value still.

Of course, they could go deeper by trading Lynn, Jimenez or Moncada, but none of those moves really make much sense in terms of maximizing current trade assets or fielding a competitive team for 2023.  

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Just in general, I have often wondered if the Sox would ever break up the Cubans  🤔

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

We can’t even do that because the Twins are now down 4 starting pitchers and they haven’t been able to rely recently on the production or health of Correa or Buxton.

After the results of this past week, just not thinking that anyone has the ability to run away and hide in this division.  Not even the slumping Guardians are totally out of this with their easy June schedule. 

So it’s the worst of all worlds where we stick with the veterans because we’re still in the division or WC race, even without Anderson.  Of course, these next three series could really put us well back below .500 again.

Imho, they should take a hard look at the roster, and make a cold assessment about the talent on the team. If you’re assessment tells you this group comes up short, you don’t have the luxury of  underpowered, yet wise “veterans”. You bring up your best people in the organization and let it ride. Some of the best,  most loose teams have been groups of kids that don’t know any better. These guys are tauiite. /Austin Powers

1 hour ago, Chick Mercedes said:

Just in general, I have often wondered if the Sox would ever break up the Cubans  🤔

I mean, maybe it's sacrilege but if someone wants to take Jose off our hands, for like a B- type prospect I'm all ears. I love the guy, I will take a picture with his statue when they build it, but if the team is under .500 and he's really thinking about retirement getting an asset for him would be a huge win.

The guys I see as having value to trade are in order:

Gio

Liam

Jose

No point in selling Eloy low, same with Moncada. Nobody wants Grandal without picking up huge money. Engel is more valuable here than the C prospect he'd get. Vaughn is untouchable given his service time and future value. Ditto Robert and his contract. The young pitching cost controlled you need so that means no to Cease, Kopech and anybody else that emerges.

nobody wants pollock. TA untradeable for obvious reasons, mostly that he's too good of a player. So who's left here? Leury? Ha. If you DFA him nobody would even bite. Some of the relievers? Sheets? Burger? Nobody wants to give up anything for them.

Your big pieces are Gio and Liam. Jose could possibly get you a back end top 150 type. That's pretty shitty but that's where we are at.

We're onto the "hope and wishes" part of the season. Not even June yet.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I mean, maybe it's sacrilege but if someone wants to take Jose off our hands, for like a B- type prospect I'm all ears. I love the guy, I will take a picture with his statue when they build it, but if the team is under .500 and he's really thinking about retirement getting an asset for him would be a huge win.

The guys I see as having value to trade are in order:

Gio

Liam

Jose

No point in selling Eloy low, same with Moncada. Nobody wants Grandal without picking up huge money. Engel is more valuable here than the C prospect he'd get. Vaughn is untouchable given his service time and future value. Ditto Robert and his contract. The young pitching cost controlled you need so that means no to Cease, Kopech and anybody else that emerges.

nobody wants pollock. TA untradeable for obvious reasons, mostly that he's too good of a player. So who's left here? Leury? Ha. If you DFA him nobody would even bite. Some of the relievers? Sheets? Burger? Nobody wants to give up anything for them.

Your big pieces are Gio and Liam. Jose could possibly get you a back end top 150 type. That's pretty shitty but that's where we are at.

We're onto the "hope and wishes" part of the season. Not even June yet.

Lynn depending on how he pitches for 6 weeks.  But nobody trusts Hahn to find the equivalent pitching replacement via trade or FA.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Lynn depending on how he pitches for 6 weeks.  But nobody trusts Hahn to find the equivalent pitching replacement via trade or FA.

Maybe. Same boat as Jose, B- prospect at best. Might as well just hold Lynn honestly and maybe he pulls some crazy shit like 120 innings of 2 ERA that helps get them to 85 wins.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Maybe. Same boat as Jose, B- prospect at best. Might as well just hold Lynn honestly and maybe he pulls some crazy shit like 120 innings of 2 ERA that helps get them to 85 wins.

The control for next season at a relatively affordable price would be highly attractive to big market postseason contenders.  Of course, those are the same type of teams we have to somehow get past.

But yeah, it's time to return Vaughn to 1B.  The problem is the corner outfielders, then.  Most don't want Jimenez back in the field.  They can find a Job Pederson, Calhoun or Naquin type to platoon in RF with Engel.

Obviously need to sort out 2B and catcher.

Just can't imagine an older Pollock in LF next year is the solution...so more wasted resources getting rid of him. 

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

The control for next season at a relatively affordable price would be highly attractive to big market postseason contenders.  Of course, those are the same type of teams we have to somehow get past.

Right, I was trying to do a sloppy cost benefit analysis. It's not an easy position hahn is in. of course he made it so fuck him.

• Heads22 changed the title to TA out 3 weeks
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic