Juan Soto would bump Sox to #9?

caulfield12

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/33976619/who-juan-soto-help-most-traded-all-29-other-mlb-teams-find-out

Good thing they didn’t have to place the entire Sox minor league system into a potential deal.

And that’s #9 in the projection models without accounting for Anderson’s absence.  But perhaps this provides those in the rebuilding/retooling camp reasons for optimism.

Of course, the offseason was Hahn’s best opportunity to add a 4+ fWAR guy.

Fortunately, as well, the Twins are now down 4 starting pitchers, Correa out again and Buxton hasn’t even been able to play in the field more than a handful of games and has been ouchy and also not hitting a lick.  3-4 in this particular stretch looked like it was going to be 4-3 or likely 5-2, so they’re just +10 instead of +12-14, still providing at least a ray of hope before TLR’s roster management can extinguish it.

I don't know if he was ever considered in actual trade talks, but I remember Soto being theorized as a possible return if Robertson was traded to the Nationals. He was quite young at the time, and I believe ranked around the very backend of the top 100 prospects.

Things would sure be looking a lot brighter with him rather than Rutherford.

22 minutes ago, shoeless_joe21 said:

I don't know if he was ever considered in actual trade talks, but I remember Soto being theorized as a possible return if Robertson was traded to the Nationals. He was quite young at the time, and I believe ranked around the very backend of the top 100 prospects.

Things would sure be looking a lot brighter with him rather than Rutherford.

It was Luzardo and Neuse for Robertson.  

Soto was theorized in the Eaton trade.. I wonder if we could have gotten Soto instead of Reynald Lopez.....  Lopez ranked like ~50. Soto was unranked but likely not far outside top 100 at the time.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

It was Luzardo and Neuse for Robertson.  

Soto was theorized in the Eaton trade.. I wonder if we could have gotten Soto instead of Reynald Lopez.....  Lopez ranked like ~50. Soto was unranked but likely not far outside top 100 at the time.

Oh yeah, Luzardo! Haha, sometimes I question why I follow this stuff, since the names that could have been sure seem to stick with me.

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt they could've nabbed Soto in place of ReyLo, considering how highly ranked López was at the time. Nats may have held Soto in higher regard internally, I suppose.

Edited by shoeless_joe21

3 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I will always remember a few of us wanted Soto as a piece in a Robertson deal way back when before he blew up. One of the proudest moments in Soxtalk history. 

yeah, I remember the quality versus quantity discussions, and I really wanted some lottery ticket LATAM pieces in all of this.

14 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I will always remember a few of us wanted Soto as a piece in a Robertson deal way back when before he blew up. One of the proudest moments in Soxtalk history. 

I’ve said it before and we’ll say it again. Soxtalk hivemind is a mid level GM in the game with 1/10th the info these guys have. 

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I’ve said it before and we’ll say it again. Soxtalk hivemind is a mid level GM in the game with 1/10th the info these guys have. 

Can we force Grandal into retirement like Gil Meche?  He can personally coach Mendick's base running...would like to see him first get that upset about his own quality of play, though.

It's simply not possible to have that much access to such high quality information and be so wrong 80-85% of the time in free agency and June drafting.

Edited by caulfield12

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

We tend to forget our more ridiculous foibles, but yeah, we would be decent as a whole.

50%+ offer Rodon QO

50%+ don't offer Kimbrel 

75%+ don’t offer Leury Harrison Kelly (certainly not two years, and at least check to see if he will be ready for season)

75%+ don’t offer VV

90% try to improve backup catcher

75% want more veteran LH insurance for Sheets