It's a Journey - We remember 2005

Texsox

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idk. The more time that goes by, the less I appreciate them. 

Wire to wire. 11-1 in the playoffs. They dominated that postseason better than any team in my lifetime. 

It's probably difficult to remember something so far removed from this dumpster fire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It was a team that got all of the breaks. AJP stealing 1st, Colon and Clemens getting hurt, etc. 

Dude who cares? Every team that wins the World Series gets some sort of luck. Are you going to dock the Braves points cause they didn't face McCullers last year? 

The fact that the 05 Sox tied for the best postseason record in MLB history should be enough to tell you that the team was special. Just because they got lucky or that the success didn't last past that year shouldn't take away anything from that 05 team. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

It should be 100 pct the opposite reaction 

Exactly. It's hard as fuck to win. Literally the only time the entire season where we didn't have the upper hand was after Game 1 of the ALCS. Wire to wire and 11-1 in the postseason is amazing shit

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chw42 said:

Dude who cares? Every team that wins the World Series gets some sort of luck. Are you going to dock the Braves points cause they didn't face McCullers last year? 

Just because they got lucky or that the success didn't last past that year shouldn't take away anything from that 05 team. 

What I wrote here has been quoted. I wish I kept it to myself. Sorry. It was inappropriate and wrong for me to write this stuff. 

Sorry for ever doing it. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. Yes. 

2. Oh, but it does. It makes them feel undeserving. Nobody can take that ring away from those guys but that's also a team with zero HOFers outside of Hurt's 3 weeks on the roster and also they had a bunch of guys that were never good outside of that one season, and a bunch of guys that were never good again. 

Dude.....

11 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. Yes. 

2. Oh, but it does. It makes them feel undeserving. Nobody can take that ring away from those guys but that's also a team with zero HOFers outside of Hurt's 3 weeks on the roster and also they had a bunch of guys that were never good outside of that one season, and a bunch of guys that were never good again. 

That is a serious run of luck. 

Bud, log off, do something fun. Come back tomorrow. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fathom said:

Dude.....

Just let him go. He’s only “happy” when he’s miserable. Sad way to go through life but to each their own. 

It was a team that happened at the perfect time with the perfect roster. And it was the most memorable time I’ve ever had as a fan of any team. That entire summer was just such a blast. 

Did the front office get “lucky” with that team? Absolutely. But it didn’t change what that team did in the Summer of 2005. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Just let him go. He’s only “happy” when he’s miserable. Sad way to go through life but to each their own. 

It was a team that happened at the perfect time with the perfect roster. And it was the most memorable time I’ve ever had as a fan of any team. That entire summer was just such a blast. 

Did the front office get “lucky” with that team? Absolutely. But it didn’t change what that team did in the Summer of 2005. 

August and September 2005 were anything but fun when Cleveland was playing .800 ball. 

October was fun as hell. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

August and September 2005 were anything but fun when Cleveland was playing .800 ball. 

October was fun as hell. 

Stop watching sports. For real. You haven’t grasped the point or understand what it means to be a fan. 

It’s not for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

What do you appreciate?  If you have bad feelings towards the 2005 team idk what to tell you honestly.

I don't have bad feelings. Just reading this thread and discussing it made some of the good vibes return. I was replaying Pods HR, Konerko's grand slam, AJP stealing first and Crede hitting the double to win, El Duque's magic trick against Boston in my head. 

I was probably too blunt and honest about my feelings, but the fact that there were zero HOFers on that team outside of Frank's three weeks right before the ASB, the amount of one hit wonders and the fact that there was no success with that group before or after 2005 diminishes the team for me, but that's looking at it from the perspective of a neutral baseball historian, rather than as a fan of the Sox. The memories are as vivid as when they happened. 

Sometimes I try to put myself in the position of a neutral observer. All of these things make the season feel fake. I know it happened, but it doesn't feel real anymore. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't have bad feelings. Just reading this thread and discussing it made some of the good vibes return. I was replaying Pods HR, Konerko's grand slam, AJP stealing first and Crede hitting the double to win, El Duque's magic trick against Boston in my head. 

I was probably too blunt an honest about my feelings, but the fact that there were zero HOFers on that team outside of Frank's three weeks right before the ASB, the amount of one hit wonders and the fact that there was no success with that group before or after 2005 diminishes the team for me, but that's looking at it from the perspective of a neutral baseball historian, rather than as a fan of the Sox. Nobody can take away the awesome feelings from that team.

Sometimes I try to put myself in the position of a neutral observer. All of these things make the season feel fake. I know it happened, but it doesn't feel real anymore. 

I know more about baseball than 99 pct of the population and couldn’t tell you how many HOFers were on many World Series winners.  I’m sure Cubs fans are disappointed they waited over 100 years to win the WS with no HOFers

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I was probably too blunt and honest about my feelings, but the fact that there were zero HOFers on that team outside of Frank's three weeks right before the ASB, the amount of one hit wonders and the fact that there was no success with that group before or after 2005 diminishes the team for me, but that's looking at it from the perspective of a neutral baseball historian, rather than as a fan of the Sox. The memories are as vivid as when they happened. 

Glad to read you got some perspective on this.  Just stop trying to overanalyze it.  That season was not about great individual players (like you said, the only true great was Thomas, and he was insignificant on the whole in 2005).  But all of those players collectively as a team added up to greater than the sum of their parts and ran it wire to wire and dominated the playoffs in a way that we haven't seen since.  That was special.  The fact that it was a one-off shouldn't take away from the fact that it was one of the most special sports experiences many of us have ever had.  I'm not a baseball historian, I'm a fan.  2005 is what fans live for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Spumoni said:

Glad to read you got some perspective on this.  Just stop trying to overanalyze it.  That season was not about great individual players (like you said, the only true great was Thomas, and he was insignificant on the whole in 2005).  But all of those players collectively as a team added up to greater than the sum of their parts and ran it wire to wire and dominated the playoffs in a way that we haven't seen since.  That was special.  The fact that it was a one-off shouldn't take away from the fact that it was one of the most special sports experiences many of us have ever had.  I'm not a baseball historian, I'm a fan.  2005 is what fans live for.

I overanalyze everything, it gets in the way of a lot of this stuff. 

I wish I would have kept these things to myself, or at least had gone about it in a more diplomatic/less blunt way. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

1. Yes. 

I really hate saying this but you need serious help.  This may be your most embarrassing take since joining this board and that’s saying something.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Why in the FUCK would you care about what anyone else thought about that 2005 team though?  It was one of the best sports-related rides that a lot of us have probably had, was it not?  Why the fuck would you care about what a "neutral observer" or "historian" thought about the team or remembered?  It's literally opinion.

11 hours ago, Tony said:

Stop watching sports. For real. You haven’t grasped the point or understand what it means to be a fan. 

It’s not for you. 

I've been thinking about this post a lot since last night. 

I've asked myself the question: What does it mean to be a fan? 

I can't answer it other than someone who follows a sports team closely. 

there must be some greater social covenant here that I'm not grasping. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

10 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I overanalyze everything, it gets in the way of a lot of this stuff. 

I wish I would have kept these things to myself, or at least had gone about it in a more diplomatic/less blunt way. 

You think you overanlyze everything, yet it really doesn't seem like you ever think before you post. Let's talk about self awareness.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fathom said:

This post is really bad. Come on buddy, you’re better than this.

Is he though?  Seems perfectly aligned with the normal paranoid doom & gloom / all is always lost paradigm. 

Edited by Tnetennba

4 consecutive complete games, 11-1 in the post season, and a World Series sweep.  When will we ever see that in the post season again?

Fluke team/outlier for the organisation, sure.  What the 2005 White Sox did was unlike anything that’s been done in modern post season baseball.  Those accomplishments should be cherished more and more as the incredible moments that they were.  Time will not diminish what will likely never be replicated or repeated by any other team.