It's a Journey - We remember 2005

Texsox

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

That is a serious run of luck. 

Bud, log off, do something fun. Come back tomorrow. 

Or, since he’s proven yet again he can’t handle posting on a message board, log off and get some help finding healthy outlets for the obsessive negativity consuming him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been thinking about this post a lot since last night. 

I've asked myself the question: What does it mean to be a fan? 

I can't answer it other than someone who follows a sports team closely. 

there must be some greater social covenant here that I'm not grasping. 

Ya think? 

No one forces us to be a fan. Yes, most times fandom is passed down generationally, but it's always a choice and you don't have to root for any teams if you so choose. 

The idea of rooting for a sports team is to provide entertainment/enjoyment/escape from everything else. It can create friendships and bonds with others, or also fun rivalries with friends. 

When I think about being a fan, I think about how the Sox are an almost daily conversation I have with my dad, even as I approach my 40's. The Sox, and sports, provide a large portion of our conversation. I think about the memories I had with him in particular when the Sox and Hawks won their respective championships. I think about being in a fantasy football league that I've been in since high school, with the same group of guys. We probably wouldn't stay in touch if it wasn't for fantasy football. 

Sometimes the games themselves aren't that enjoyable. When it comes to the Sox, that happens more often than not. But it's about the bigger picture. It's about investing yourself into something so when a 2005 comes around, the joy and celebration is that much sweeter because you went through the bad times, and it was all for this. I sat in the UC during college with about 4000 other people watching Igor Korolev and Karpo stink it up on the ice....which made 2010 that much sweeter. 

But ultimately it's about the feelings and memories sports creates. I don't watch the Hawks anymore because of the sexual misconduct stuff, and they just are a terrible franchise right now. My view on the franchise has changed since the dynasty era and that makes me upset. However, my memories of that run haven't changed. Me watching the first cup win with my dad, being confused if the Kane goal was actually a goal, and the celebration that came after don't change because of what we found out a decade later. 

Just because the Front Office of the Sox got lucky with 2005 doesn't mean I enjoyed it less then. I look back on the Summer in the absolute best way. It reminds me of a much simpler time in my life, didn't have a ton of responsibility, watched basically every game that season, was at the park for probably 25 of them. Those are all memories that don't change because the 2007 team sucked. Who cares? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

The 2005 team feels fake, undeserving and completely forgettable. They did not age well. More of a footnote in baseball history than anything else. Completely meh as far as Title winners go. Completely understandable why every baseball fan outside of Chicago forgets they exist. 

They're the 1978-79 Sonics of Baseball. 

Jesus Christ. One of the worst posts on a sports forum I've EVER read. You really are a miserable human being.

Edited by Paulie4Pres

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Ya think? 

No one forces us to be a fan. Yes, most times fandom is passed down generationally, but it's always a choice and you don't have to root for any teams if you so choose. 

The idea of rooting for a sports team is to provide entertainment/enjoyment/escape from everything else. It can create friendships and bonds with others, or also fun rivalries with friends. 

When I think about being a fan, I think about how the Sox are an almost daily conversation I have with my dad, even as I approach my 40's. The Sox, and sports, provide a large portion of our conversation. I think about the memories I had with him in particular when the Sox and Hawks won their respective championships. I think about being in a fantasy football league that I've been in since high school, with the same group of guys. We probably wouldn't stay in touch if it wasn't for fantasy football. 

Sometimes the games themselves aren't that enjoyable. When it comes to the Sox, that happens more often than not. But it's about the bigger picture. It's about investing yourself into something so when a 2005 comes around, the joy and celebration is that much sweeter because you went through the bad times, and it was all for this. I sat in the UC during college with about 4000 other people watching Igor Korolev and Karpo stink it up on the ice....which made 2010 that much sweeter. 

But ultimately it's about the feelings and memories sports creates. I don't watch the Hawks anymore because of the sexual misconduct stuff, and they just are a terrible franchise right now. My view on the franchise has changed since the dynasty era and that makes me upset. However, my memories of that run haven't changed. Me watching the first cup win with my dad, being confused if the Kane goal was actually a goal, and the celebration that came after don't change because of what we found out a decade later. 

Just because the Front Office of the Sox got lucky with 2005 doesn't mean I enjoyed it less then. I look back on the Summer in the absolute best way. It reminds me of a much simpler time in my life, didn't have a ton of responsibility, watched basically every game that season, was at the park for probably 25 of them. Those are all memories that don't change because the 2007 team sucked. Who cares? 

I guess that's where we're different. The things that happened before and after change the narrative for me. 

The stuff that happened afterward matters to me Especially with the Hawks stuff.  I tried to choose not to be a Hawks fan anymore. I watched another team for a month, couldn't get into the other team and then went back. There's just so much nasty stuff going on with Hockey right now, not just the Hawks, that makes me sick. I feel dirty for ever liking the sport. Like it somehow makes me a contemptible person for being a Hawks/hockey fan. One of my really good friends and I are friends because we like the Sox, hate the Cubs and like hockey. It's hard for me to turn off that switch.

For ~3 years I've been trying to turn off my sports fandom. I can't do it. It's not fun anymore, and it's reflecting in my posting. In 2020 when there was no sports, I really liked what I was able to do with that time that I wasn't spending watching sports.  

Part of it too, is that a lot of my friendships are built around my hobbies, whatever they may be. I wish I could interact with people based on something that isn't just my special interest. The sad thing is, I don't really know how to do it because my life is different than most people. 

We are getting to a point where there is a segment of Sox fans that were too young to remember 2005. I'm sure they roll their eyes at us talking about that team the way I do about old timers talking about the '85 Bears. That's what I meant. 

The old memories of the sports teams of my youth are now diminished. Late 90s Bulls, 05 Sox,  I don't get warm, fuzzy feelings thinking about watching those teams, for various reasons. Maybe that's why I shouldn't follow sports anymore. Don't even get me started about the Hawks. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I guess that's where we're different. The things that happened before and after change the narrative for me. 

The stuff that happened afterward matters to me Especially with the Hawks stuff.  I tried to choose not to be a Hawks fan anymore. I watched another team for a month, couldn't get into the other team and then went back. There's just so much nasty stuff going on with Hockey right now, not just the Hawks, that makes me sick. I feel dirty for ever liking the sport. Like it somehow makes me a contemptible person for being a Hawks/hockey fan. One of my really good friends and I are friends because we like the Sox, hate the Cubs and like hockey. It's hard for me to turn off that switch.

For ~3 years I've been trying to turn off my sports fandom. I can't do it. It's not fun anymore, and it's reflecting in my posting. In 2020 when there was no sports, I really liked what I was able to do with that time that I wasn't spending watching sports.  

Part of it too, is that a lot of my friendships are built around my hobbies, whatever they may be. I wish I could interact with people based on something that isn't just my special interest. The sad thing is, I don't really know how to do it because my life is different than most people. 

We are getting to a point where there is a segment of Sox fans that were too young to remember 2005. I'm sure they roll their eyes at us talking about that team the way I do about old timers talking about the '85 Bears. That's what I meant. 

The old memories of the sports teams of my youth are now diminished. Late 90s Bulls, 05 Sox,  I don't get warm, fuzzy feelings thinking about watching those teams, for various reasons. Maybe that's why I shouldn't follow sports anymore. Don't even get me started about the Hawks. 

I haven't read this (yet), but have heard good things: https://beltpublishing.com/products/rethinking-fandom-how-to-beat-the-sports-industrial-complex-at-its-own-game

Not sure if it totally gets into what you're struggling with, but just wanted to throw it out there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I haven't read this (yet), but have heard good things: https://beltpublishing.com/products/rethinking-fandom-how-to-beat-the-sports-industrial-complex-at-its-own-game

Not sure if it totally gets into what you're struggling with, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Big time. I feel like I'm in an abusive relationship with my teams. When it ceases to be fun, it's a big issue. 

Sorry for taking it out on you guys. I bet a lot of you feel the same way. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I've been thinking about this post a lot since last night. 

I've asked myself the question: What does it mean to be a fan? 

I can't answer it other than someone who follows a sports team closely. 

there must be some greater social covenant here that I'm not grasping. 

It's to get some sort on enjoyment or entertainment out of it.  If that's not accurate,  you are doing it wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

2005 was just fake and means nothing.  Why is it every year Jack explains yet again why he hates sports?  Stop asking him

That's not what I was trying to say.

It's more it's been 17 years, there are fans who were too young to remember it. Remember the good times we had, but don't turn them into the 85 Bears. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not what I was trying to say.

It's more it's been 17 years, there are fans who were too young to remember it. Remember the good times we had, but don't turn them into the 85 Bears. 

Jack it's never about saying what you want to say.  It's about you setting the board on fire, doubling down 40 times, and then saying "that's not what I meant to say"

every year 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Jack it's never about saying what you want to say.  It's about you setting the board on fire, doubling down 40 times, and then saying "that's not what I meant to say"

every year 

Idk. Maybe this will be the one that gets me to stop doing that. 

I set the board on fire and I'm like ohh I wish I didn't do that, that was no good. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

every year 

Maybe if his screen name wasn't taken from such a terrible movie his attitude would change?

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

It seems like light yrs away yet in another sense like yesterday. I'm in my 60's and trying to come to grips that I may pass on to that great ballpark in the sky that the 05 WS will likely be the only one our Sox will be in

I feel that way too as I am in my late 60's. I really thought the Sox would put a string of great seasons together after 2005. Didn't happen. Still, it is my opinion that the Konerko grand slam in game two is the greatest moment in franchise history. And Konerko was one of the most popular players in franchise history. Konerko was one of the reasons I came to the ball park. My favorite Sox player of all time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Around the country, the Sox were considered something of a fluke. They weren't, but that was a general impression.

They absolutely were. They hadn't won a post-season series in the 88 years prior and haven't won another one since then,

I mean it was fun as hell at the time and I'll never forget it but that's kinda the definition of a fluke.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter to me that they were a fluke team that season.   They went wire to wire, they wiped the floor with the competition in the playoffs and WS.  It happened, it doesn't change the value of the season to me.  If you come to a different conclusion, that's not my problem.  Of course I would have loved for them to continue winning and make a dynasty out of it, but it's 17 years in the past now, I'm beyond it now.

and they will not be the next 85 bears.  Neither will the cubs of 16.  The 85 bears were and are a monolith in Chicago, different era in sports and the city.  There will never be something quite like that, even though the cubs came close.  

• Love 1

Jack is right. 2005 was fake. Everything is fake. We live in a simulation. Everyone you love is fake, everything you do is fake, everywhere you go is fake.

And if it's not, well,, you and everyone you know will all die one day and be forgotten.

Stop enjoying stuff guys. There's no point.

• Haha 2

As much a fan of Thome as I am, to this day I still don't see the sense of Rowand for Thome.  For all purposes, you were trading the heart of the team for a new heart and I still don't get it.

Edited by FoxForce2

7 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

every year 

Same story, different message board... He's like this in regards to all sports. 

19 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

They absolutely were. They hadn't won a post-season series in the 88 years prior and haven't won another one since then,

I mean it was fun as hell at the time and I'll never forget it but that's kinda the definition of a fluke.

Like my cub loving friend once said "I just hope they win ONE world series in my liftetime then they can go back to sucking" well he got his wish

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

Like my cub loving friend once said "I just hope they win ONE world series in my liftetime then they can go back to sucking" well he got his wish

I absolutely wouldn't give up 2005 for anything but it's almost like... Come on guys. You figured it out once. Plenty of other teams have done it. Figure it out again.

20 hours ago, KrankinSox said:

Jack is right. 2005 was fake. Everything is fake. We live in a simulation. Everyone you love is fake, everything you do is fake, everywhere you go is fake.

And if it's not, well,, you and everyone you know will all die one day and be forgotten.

Stop enjoying stuff guys. There's no point.

French Post-Modern philosophy much? Or just some good old fashioned 'To be or not to be?'
I really like my coffee. My cat too - even when she walks across the keyboard ad56sckjb$^%#&dfbHUL--.=-fgn\0432W.................!....

• Haha 1