Joe Maddon has been fired

RibbieRubarb

the angels build a team like the phillies ... and it doesnt work. 

can't rely on those arms to consistently win. Or overpaying on contracts to Rendon, Pujols, Upton, etc. etc. just hamstrings them for actual needs. 

That team is stuck in no man's land for the foreseeable future, though they do have a few nice younger arms if they can stay healthy. 

Now whats it gonna take for us to fire TLR.  

Multiple long losing streaks

Horrific lineup construction

Horrible pen management

Horrible rotation management

Horrible decisions about who plays

Horrible clubhouse atmosphere

Killing our players fun personalities

Still has a job and vote of confidence....

23 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

As much as I thought Maddon was a d-bag (baseball’s version of Pete Carroll), I would love to see him managing the Sox. Felt the same about Carroll for the Bears.

They may be d-bags, but they be mine to root for.

I'll take Maddon over TLR any day of the week. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, T R U said:

Wow, a team that was supposed to contend but is struggling mightily held their manager accountable. Imagine that.

Sox and Angels have the same record, yet TLR's job security is not even in question to the White Sox. Just crazy. 

5 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

And there’s no way Maddon looks as befuddled as TLR does in the dugout. 

Maddon did intentionally walk a guy with the bases loaded this year though. 

Maddon does his share of weird moves, but he's at least a manager from this decade. 

In an interview with The Athletic:

You said it was liberating. Why? Usually managers are crushed when this happens.

It’s been kind of difficult overall. I’m into analytics, but not to the point where everybody wants to shove it down your throat. Real baseball people have felt somewhat impacted by all of this. You’re unable to just go to the ballpark and have some fun and play baseball. It’s too much controlled by front offices these days.

I actually talked to Perry about this. This isn’t anything new. I told him that. I said you just try to reduce the information you’re giving, try to be aware of who’s giving the information and really be aware of when it’s time to stay out of the way. In general the industry has gone too far in that direction and that’s part of the reason people are into our game as much as they have been.

Looks like the FO was way more interested in new-age analytics than Maddon and that's part of the reason he got fired. 

I guess it kind of makes sense as Maddon was known as one of the big analytics managers in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Pre-Statcast era. It's a different ball game now. 

Edited by chw42

1 hour ago, wegner said:

At this point in the season, any manager of a team that was supposed to compete and that team is 2 games under .500 should be fired just like Joe Maddon and.....hmmm who else??

Besides TLR, the only arguable cases are Atlanta and Seattle, and those seem highly unlikely to end in firings at this point. 

• 3 months later...

The power shift from the dugout to the front office over more than a quarter of a century has changed how the game is played, and its value system. Knowledge over wisdom. Technology over teaching. Data over art. Efficiency over entertainment.

Moreover, what Maddon calls a pregame “choreography” took root, spearheaded by Minasian and Tamin. Those two, not Maddon and his coaches, would decide which relief pitchers were not available for the game that night. It was based on a proprietary algorithm developed by Tamin that kept track of a pitcher’s work in rolling 30-day increments. In recent years it had become common for front offices to usurp control of the bullpen from managers. So-and-so “is down tonight” entered baseball parlance, and it came from upstairs. “In that losing stretch that led to my demise, a lot of relievers were made unavailable,” Maddon says. “I couldn’t use them.

On 10/8/2022 at 7:54 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

The power shift from the dugout to the front office over more than a quarter of a century has changed how the game is played, and its value system. Knowledge over wisdom. Technology over teaching. Data over art. Efficiency over entertainment.

Moreover, what Maddon calls a pregame “choreography” took root, spearheaded by Minasian and Tamin. Those two, not Maddon and his coaches, would decide which relief pitchers were not available for the game that night. It was based on a proprietary algorithm developed by Tamin that kept track of a pitcher’s work in rolling 30-day increments. In recent years it had become common for front offices to usurp control of the bullpen from managers. So-and-so “is down tonight” entered baseball parlance, and it came from upstairs. “In that losing stretch that led to my demise, a lot of relievers were made unavailable,” Maddon says. “I couldn’t use them.

Muy strangeo