GT 6-4: Dodgers @ Sox (7:10pm)

Just now, fathom said:

Yep he’s totally finished. He will end up like Keuchel where the Sox release him in late May next year.

Have we ever seen a player fall off this quickly to this extent?  I mean, the dude is barely walking even which is his calling card.  Seems like more than just natural regression.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

Have we ever seen a player fall off this quickly to this extent?  I mean, the dude is barely walking even which is his calling card.  Seems like more than just natural regression.

Well....one could guess

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yoan Moncada is also on this team. Worth 4 WAR and and had a wRC+ over 120 over 3 seasons and now is the worst hitter in baseball. 

I think Yoan might get his shit together eventually, but the longer it goes the more I wonder. It's weird how he's just lost it at 27 years old. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, fathom said:

3B, but he can’t play there because the worst hitter in baseball needs to play there

But don't we have a hole at 2B?  And doesn't that "worst hitter in baseball" also play 2B?  If they need to get the worst hitter in baseball in the lineup for some reason, why not use him to plug the hole at 2B?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Andrew McCutcheon is always my reference point for a “Wtf” falloff.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/larocad01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/encared01.shtml

...and to a lesser extent (one above-average OPS year hit above-average OPS-wise) https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/dunnad01.shtml

Edited by JoeC
  • Like 1

Just now, South Side Fireworks Man said:

But don't we have a hole at 2B?  And doesn't that "worst hitter in baseball" also play 2B?  If they need to get the worst hitter in baseball in the lineup for some reason, why not use him to plug the hole at 2B?

Does defense matter to you or not? 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yoan Moncada is also on this team. Worth 4 WAR and and had a wRC+ over 120 over 3 seasons and now is the worst hitter in baseball. 

I think Yoan might get his shit together eventually, but the longer it goes the more I wonder. It's weird how he's just lost it at 27 years old. 

It's possible the dude got his contract and just doesn't give a shit anymore

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yoan is clearly not 100% and would be much better if healthy (how much so obviously TBD).  It’s not clear if Grandal is hurting or impacted by offseason surgery, but perhaps there is something there.  Neither guy walking is very weird though.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What’s your theory?  Not trying to challenge either, just flabbergasted how the dude went from arguably our best hitter last year to nearly worst hitter in baseball.

By qualified at bats, he is the worst by a wide margin at OPS.