Fire Tony Chant

Texsox

57 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Do you think he knows how universally hated he is and how he’s made fun of on a daily basis? Is he just oblivious to it and surrounded by yes man who blow smoke up his asshole? Or do you think he just doesn’t care? Like in his mind he is doing Jerry a huge favor coming out of retirement to “lead” this team to right Jerry’s “biggest regret”.

I can't claim to know Tony, I've interviewed him multiple times starting in April 1983 but he's always struck me as very self confident and doesn't second guess himself.

He told me in an interview one time that former Sox manager Paul Richards told him, "Trust your gut...don't cover your ass." (direct quote) That's a philosophy he's always believed in. I honestly don't think he cares what the fans or the media think, he really never has. Remember he toughed it out in the middle of the 1982 season when rumors were rife that he was going to be fired and had to wear a flak jacket under his uniform in a series vs. Boston because of death threats.

Same thing in 1983 when JR and EE brought in Bobby Winkles to evaluate the Sox bad start and if anything could be done. Winkles told them to not worry things would turn around...and they did. But EE said, if Winkles said TLR needed to go they would have fired him then.

This guy has had a Hall of Fame career, is supremely self confident and is (or at least was) extremely smart since he passed the Florida bar exam.

Again I don't think he cares what others think.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

It just doesn't make any sense. If you can walk him on a 1-2 count with guys on 2nd and 3rd why can't you walk him at the beginning of the at bat with runners on 1st and 2nd? You make the bases loaded no matter what. And Gonzalez is hitting .300 with less than 200 ABs 

Hitters with two strikes hit less than .200 not .300.  What a stupid ignorant ass,

• TLR 2

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t watch the game last night, but have read about another 1-2 intentional walk.  But what was the deal with Tony moving Grandal from DH to C?  When did it happen and were there any potential implications from losing the DH spot?

I can't stand Tony but I don't know why that was a huge deal. In the slim chance the pitchers spot were to come up, he still had Romy to hit. Now, you can question why he would burn Sheets to lead off an inning, at the expense of Seby who probably had just as much of a chance to get a hit. 

Also with the 1-2 intentional walk, if this guy is such a HOF quality hitter, why was Diekman facing him in the first place? Lambert the righty was ready.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PitchatRisktoZisk said:

He's an arrogant, egotistical, narcissist. He thinks he is the smartest guy in the room and we are mere peasants. He could not care less what we think or say. If he EVER steps down it will be because "today's players are just uncoachable", not because the game has passed him by and he is the laughingstock of baseball. That's just my opinion.....I  could be wrong. 

You’re not wrong. 

30 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t watch the game last night, but have read about another 1-2 intentional walk.  But what was the deal with Tony moving Grandal from DH to C?  When did it happen and were there any potential implications from losing the DH spot?

It didn’t have huge in game ramifications, but after another 1-2 INT walk everyone was scratching their heads.  Big picture it just highlighted the stupidity of DHing Grandal in the first place.  Vaughn was likely coming out of the game after taking a ball to the face, but they were already down 5-2 after another series of botched moves leading to the implosion.  The whole series of events was baffling.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fathom said:

The simplest way to put it is that if walking a guy with 1-2 count was so smart, a lot better managers than Tony would be doing it.

I thought I hated this team but it's just TLR and JR I feel bad for the players.  This team fails in all mental facets of the game because these guys know they are leader less and organization actually hinders them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

I thought I hated this team but it's just TLR and JR I feel bad for the players.  This team fails in all mental facets of the game because these guys know they are leader less and organization actually hinders them. 

I'd also add that there is no accountability for baseball-stupid decisions on the field by the players. If you know you could be benched for stupidity most folks would try not to make the same mistake again.

2 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

This is why I don't put much stock in player performance this season. When nobody in the history of baseball has ever intentionally walked someone with two strikes and your manager does it twice, how motivated can you be?

15 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I'd also add that there is no accountability for baseball-stupid decisions on the field by the players. If you know you could be benched for stupidity most folks would try not to make the same mistake again.

No accountability in the whole organization. 

• Like 2

To be honest, I didn't have an issue with Tony last year.  But the regression he's shown this year as a manager is stunning.  He lacks any of the fire he had last year.  And the defensiveness is new.  This Kopech thing could end up being nothing but at a certain point, Tony is going to be responsible for a major injury.  A lot of this just makes me sick to my stomach right now.

• Haha 1

Ok imo here is most likely reason TLR hasn't been fired:. AJP is in the middle of a contract as an announcer for Fox.... So they can't just fire POSHOFTLR and hire AJP right away.  Hopefully AJP gets hired the day after the season and his Fox contract is over...is this a possibility am I on to something? 

On 8/20/2022 at 12:05 AM, Lip Man 1 said:

I can't claim to know Tony, I've interviewed him multiple times starting in April 1983 but he's always struck me as very self confident and doesn't second guess himself.

He told me in an interview one time that former Sox manager Paul Richards told him, "Trust your gut...don't cover your ass." (direct quote) That's a philosophy he's always believed in. I honestly don't think he cares what the fans or the media think, he really never has. Remember he toughed it out in the middle of the 1982 season when rumors were rife that he was going to be fired and had to wear a flak jacket under his uniform in a series vs. Boston because of death threats.

Same thing in 1983 when JR and EE brought in Bobby Winkles to evaluate the Sox bad start and if anything could be done. Winkles told them to not worry things would turn around...and they did. But EE said, if Winkles said TLR needed to go they would have fired him then.

This guy has had a Hall of Fame career, is supremely self confident and is (or at least was) extremely smart since he passed the Florida bar exam.

Again I don't think he cares what others think.

Appreciate the insight 

39 minutes ago, Dan Pasqua said:

Ok imo here is most likely reason TLR hasn't been fired:. AJP is in the middle of a contract as an announcer for Fox.... So they can't just fire POSHOFTLR and hire AJP right away.  Hopefully AJP gets hired the day after the season and his Fox contract is over...is this a possibility am I on to something? 

I don’t think so.  He hasn’t been fired because JR is in denial and doesn’t want to admit the TLR hiring was a mistake, and TLR is his HOF buddy.  One dinosaur covering for another.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1