What’s Vaughn’s offensive ceiling?

Greg Hibbard

3 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'll go former WS route and say he reminds me of Magglio, strictly hitting-wise.  Decent pop, >.300 average through his prime, great bat to ball skills, and someone who will drive in a ton of runs in the middle of the order. 

I really like that comp. I was leaning towards Konerko for obvious reasons but I think Mags is a better comp.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I really like that comp. I was leaning towards Konerko for obvious reasons but I think Mags is a better comp.

Maggs is up there as one of my all time favorites. A couple of Maggs fun facts, he did a workout for Houston, but they weren't impressed and didnt sign him. He had a workout for the White Sox and the Sox scout was hours late. Maggs waited and got a contract. And the White Sox did expose him to the rule 5 draft. Nobody took him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Gordon Beckham played 11 seasons in the majors. 

I think most people consider him a bust considering where he was drafted and what was expected. 

To be fair, that's because after his rookie year you had people like Steve Stone and Derek Jeter calling him a future MVP and MLB Network putting him on the 2010 future All-Decade team.

As a pick, he wasn't a bust. As a follow-up to his rookie year, he was a bust.

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

To be fair, that's because after his rookie year you had people like Steve Stone and Derek Jeter calling him a future MVP and MLB Network putting him on the 2010 future All-Decade team.

As a pick, he wasn't a bust. As a follow-up to his rookie year, he was a bust.

Gordon Beckham was the eighth overall pick in a draft, and he generated 0.78 WAR per 162 games played in the majors. 

Leury Garcia has generated 0.8 WAR per 162 games played in the majors. 

2 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Gordon Beckham was the eighth overall pick in a draft, and he generated 0.78 WAR per 162 games played in the majors. 

Leury Garcia has generated 0.8 WAR per 162 games played in the majors. 

I mean, Leury is a huge success story no matter how frustrating he can be at times.

So I'm going by bWAR because it's easier to sort the draft board, and Gordon (5.5 WAR) out produced 21 (22 if you count Wade Townsend twice) #8 picks since 1980, not counting the picks since 2018. 14 outproduced him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Props to the person who said Maggs for a comp for Vaughn. Perfect. I was searching for a good comp and there was one under my nose the whole time.

idk if Vaughn is ever going to hit 38 HR like Maggs did in 2002 though. I see Vaughn as more Detroit Maggs than Sox Maggs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

I'll go former WS route and say he reminds me of Magglio, strictly hitting-wise.  Decent pop, >.300 average through his prime, great bat to ball skills, and someone who will drive in a ton of runs in the middle of the order. 

I just googled Magglio to look up his career numbers and Google has him listed as:

"Mayor of the Juan Antonio Sotillo Municipality"

Had no idea he was involved with politics.

Maybe Vaughn will be a Senator some day.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Maggs is up there as one of my all time favorites. A couple of Maggs fun facts, he did a workout for Houston, but they weren't impressed and didnt sign him. He had a workout for the White Sox and the Sox scout was hours late. Maggs waited and got a contract. And the White Sox did expose him to the rule 5 draft. Nobody took him.

I like the Maggs comp.  Vaughn is hitterish with power. I think Maggs probably got fat on juice numbers when you look at the leap he took in power, but yeah same idea.

19 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I like the Maggs comp.  Vaughn is hitterish with power. I think Maggs probably got fat on juice numbers when you look at the leap he took in power, but yeah same idea.

I remember after he left for Detroit, Boers and Bernstein made a comment to KW I believe about how knee surgery made Ordonez get bigger forearms. KW laughed but didn’t comment.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

He just kept producing huge numbers in the minors and never stopped...definitely under the radar as a prospect because he didn't receive that huge signing bonus.

I remember watching him in the SAL and everyone was talking about Andrew Jones, Guerrero Sr., Dye, Ruben Rivera, Sexson and Jaret Wright at that time.

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...

Vaughn really got better against RHP this year but worse against LHP. 

I think menechinos oppo approach helped vaughn against RHP as his weakness always was that he was pulling off pitches on the outer third and either missing or weakly capping them. He got better on that but he also got weaker on turning on inside pitches, especially by lefties. 

Maybe vaughn can get the best out of both worlds by looking oppo on good righties who can pound the outside corner consistently and looking to turn on lefties and bad righties with bad command who leave it middle in. 

2 hours ago, tray said:

Carlos Quentin who had two All Star years. Vaughn has a similar looking body type with very stable foundation at the plate and a level swing that produced a lot of line drives.

I hope AV has a more even keeled temper....dumbass Carlos breaking his hand on his bat after striking out probably sunk the White Sox chances to go deep in the playoffs that season.  He was having one hell of a year.

On 6/16/2022 at 4:29 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I don't know if this is fair.  Obviously it could be true, but Maggs never put up outlandish home run numbers, and his jump, from 14 one year to 30 the next, was going from his first full season to his second.  It could have been roids, but it also could have been him knowing how to be an MLB player.  If Vaughn had hit 30 HRs this year after hitting 15 last year, no one would have batted an eye and said, must have been roids... 

Edited by turnin' two

2 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

I don't know if this is fair.  Obviously it could be true, but Maggs never put up outlandish home run numbers, and his jump, from 14 one year to 30 the next, was going from his first full season to his second.  It could have been roids, but it also could have been him knowing how to be an MLB player.  If Vaughn had hit 30 HRs this year after hitting 15 last year, no one would have batted an eye and said, must have been roids... 

It wasn't just that.