LH Bat Trade Options

Chicago White Sox

3 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

I have a big issue with Eloy’s batting stance. I think that front leg has caused issues with his swing. It continues to become dramatically stranger each year. 

Only other guy I can think of with such a big front leg/foot turn is Juan Soto, seems to be working for him, but not sure Eloy is athletic and limber enough to pull it off.  Obviously Juan is a generational type talent. 

I am just going to say this out loud.  If this team can't stay healthy, I am 100% not interested in seeing them move any of the crowd at the lower levels of the minors to try to plug holes on this ship.  I would rather miss the playoffs by a game or two, than to give up the guys we need to go limping into the playoffs.  Use the off-season to do the heavy lifting to really rework the roster.  Find better balance between left and right handedness.  Find better balance between early starters and summer hitters.  Find some decent defense.  Find some healthier players.  Find some smarter players. Bonus points if you can find players that check multiple of these boxes.  But quit with the incremental moves.  Even if you have to trade a guy we all thought would be a core guy, its time for a reformation.  I don't think we need a full pledge sell off, but we do need a realignment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am just going to say this out loud.  If this team can't stay healthy, I am 100% not interested in seeing them move any of the crowd at the lower levels of the minors to try to plug holes on this ship.  I would rather miss the playoffs by a game or two, than to give up the guys we need to go limping into the playoffs.  Use the off-season to do the heavy lifting to really rework the roster.  Find better balance between left and right handedness.  Find better balance between early starters and summer hitters.  Find some decent defense.  Find some healthier players.  Find some smarter players. Bonus points if you can find players that check multiple of these boxes.  But quit with the incremental moves.  Even if you have to trade a guy we all thought would be a core guy, its time for a reformation.  I don't think we need a full pledge sell off, but we do need a realignment.

Better fundamentals. We might actually need a Korean or Japanese player to teach them.  No more Boston and McEwing.  Dare not hope to launch Cairo and Narron, too.  

A left-handed outfielder not Sheets nor a DH/1B masquerading as an outfielder.

Fix the health of Grandal…Moncada…Jimenez, or move on.

More walks again and higher OBP are desperately needed.

New hitting coach.

Coaches specifically to work on infield defense, holding runners, catching and outfield defense.  At least two new coaches also desperately needed.

Conforto.

Vaughn to 1B.  Abreu to DH, new org or retirement.  His bat is becoming too important to risk another outfield collision or diving attempts to cover lack of foot speed.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes yes yes yes yes

• Like 1

18 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Thomas just hit homer #6, fwiw.  Hasn’t been up that long.  But his acquisition cost would be bigger than Ketel Marte.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. Marte would cost money and players since he got a contract extension .

Thomas still can succumb to the vagaries of rookie struggles but has certainly made a great impression. There would be hardly any cost to the payroll  so the cost would be in players . So I'm not sure it would cost more. You're going to give up at least 1 or 2 quality players for Marte even with the new contract. Thomas isn't a sure thing yet so cost for him is hard to gauge but have to give quality to get quality.

13 hours ago, Rey21 said:

Josh Bell? Yeah another corner guy but he’d give you some pop from the left side at least and is a FA after this year

This team is too far from being a World Series team for me to want to acquire anybody that isn't under team control through at least next season.

18 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Mendick going down today reminded me that we are just about at the 1 year anniversary of the White Sox deciding they didn’t want Eduardo Escobar due to some unnamed thing in his medicals.

The list of former White Sox that would be great to have right now that we just didn't pursue.

1) Escobar ($10M) vs. Harrison ($4M)

• To balance it further, throw in Leury ($5.5M) and swap him with Mendick full time.

2) Quintana ($2M) vs. Velazquez ($3M)

3) Tepara ($7M) vs. Kelly ($8M/year)

4) Rodon ($22M) vs. Cueto ($4.2M)

Left column is $41M, right is $21.7M (obviously the big difference is Rodon vs. Cueto), but you have to imagine we're in a much happier place with the left column.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Quin said:

The list of former White Sox that would be great to have right now that we just didn't pursue.

1) Escobar ($10M) vs. Harrison ($4M)

• To balance it further, throw in Leury ($5.5M) and swap him with Mendick full time.

2) Quintana ($2M) vs. Velazquez ($3M)

3) Tepara ($7M) vs. Kelly ($8M/year)

4) Rodon ($22M) vs. Cueto ($4.2M)

Left column is $41M, right is $21.7M (obviously the big difference is Rodon vs. Cueto), but you have to imagine we're in a much happier place with the left column.

Daniel Hudson, 1 year $7 million.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This. A retool is necessary this winter. Some guys that were considered core players need to go. 

On 6/22/2022 at 6:14 PM, caulfield12 said:

Better fundamentals. We might actually need a Korean or Japanese player to teach them.  No more Boston and McEwing.  Dare not hope to launch Cairo and Narron, too.  

A left-handed outfielder not Sheets nor a DH/1B masquerading as an outfielder.

Fix the health of Grandal…Moncada…Jimenez, or move on.

More walks again and higher OBP are desperately needed.

New hitting coach.

Coaches specifically to work on infield defense, holding runners, catching and outfield defense.  At least two new coaches also desperately needed.

Conforto.

Vaughn to 1B.  Abreu to DH, new org or retirement.  His bat is becoming too important to risk another outfield collision or diving attempts to cover lack of foot speed.

I can’t believe you’re still on the Conforto bandwagon, after the hidden injury thing? I don’t get that at all

Also, can we quit with the Vaughn is a danger to hurt himself playing outfield because he was a 1st baseman in college. He doesn’t dive after anymore balls than Engel or Robert. That he is a danger himself and other defenders is brought up here all the time and accepted as if it’s true, but it’s completely stupid. He’s no more or less likely to hurt himself and others because he’s slower than other RF. Because he’s slower, is he less likely to call off other outfielders or not hear other outfielder call him off. It’s silly.

Let ask you a question: Let’s go to all major league teams and offer them Vaughn or Conforto in RF next year but the player can only play RF. How many do you think would pick Vaughn?  ALL OF THEM because righter/ lefty whatever, being slow of foot, they all would want that bat. So can we stop this silly idea that Vaughn is a danger in RF and that his defense is so bad that it isn’t more than adequately made up by his bat.

28 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I can’t believe you’re still on the Conforto bandwagon, after the hidden injury thing? I don’t get that at all

Also, can we quit with the Vaughn is a danger to hurt himself playing outfield because he was a 1st baseman in college. He doesn’t dive after anymore balls than Engel or Robert. That he is a danger himself and other defenders is brought up here all the time and accepted as if it’s true, but it’s completely stupid. He’s no more or less likely to hurt himself and others because he’s slower than other RF. Because he’s slower, is he less likely to call off other outfielders or not hear other outfielder call him off. It’s silly.

Let ask you a question: Let’s go to all major league teams and offer them Vaughn or Conforto in RF next year but the player can only play RF. How many do you think would pick Vaughn?  ALL OF THEM because righter/ lefty whatever, being slow of foot, they all would want that bat. So can we stop this silly idea that Vaughn is a danger in RF and that his defense is so bad that it isn’t more than adequately made up by his bat.

Obviously a Conforto deal would at the very least cover 2023.  Sox never do things creatively, regardless.

I don't know why we would prefer to play Vaughn in RF when he was significantly worse there than LF last year...and tamp down most of his plus value from an fWAR standpoint.

Because we have to keep Abreu around forever out of respect or loyalty?  Because he's helping the Sox to get the most out of Moncada and Robert?  Because we're utilizing payroll so efficiently we can allocate another $15 million in a 2023 where he might completely fall apart ala Konerko at the end of his career?

Personally, would rather try a Hispanic or bilingual manager under retirement age that can really relate to modern athletes like a Kapler type.

Let Vaughn play where he truly feels comfortable and is far less likely to get hurt compared to the OF.

Alex Verdugo would be a good buy low candidate.

LH.  LOL.

Great personality.  Articulate...future broadcaster.

Not in the long term plans for Boston, hitting arbitration, just 26...consistent 2 fWAR guy for three seasons prior to this year.

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

I'd bet that none of the other 29 teams would regularly start Vaughn in the OF bc he's a bad OFer. Why keep putting him in position to negate what he provides on offense? He needs to man 1B/DH, MAYBE cover the OF like once a week if necessary. Coming into tonight, he's a -4 DRS in LF in 138.1 innings and a -4 in 130 innings in RF. Meanwhile, he's a 1 DRS in 51 innings at 1B (yes, sss). We need to stop jamming a square peg in a round hole. 

• Like 1