Lenyn Sosa joins the White Sox (Update Pg. 5)

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I really don't want Tony to fuck this up.  

Sosa needs to play everyday.  If I see Harrison or Leury taking time from this kid my head will explode. 

My lineup for now

TA SS 

Vaughn RF

Robert CF 

Abreu 1B

Pollack LF 

Burger DH 

Sosa 2B

Catcher 

Harrison 3B

Grandal and Yoan come back then we can start to feast 1-9. 

Get ready for your head to explode.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, maxjusttyped said:

If orgs with a ton of depth like the Dodgers, Yankees, & Rays can constantly churn the bottom of their 40, there is no good explanation for why the Sox can't do the same.

Yes there is.

The owner doesn't hire elite talent evaluators and decision makers.

The only one of true quality is Marko Paddy.

Edited by GradMc

Cranking in Double-A
June 7, 2022
Sosa has a .342/.392/.566 line with 11 homers, 39 RBI and a 14:32 BB:K through 49 games for Double-A Birmingham.
ANALYSIS
He came into the season known as a free swinger with modest pop, but Sosa's muscled up, hitting as many homers already this year as he did in 115 games last season. He's also brought his walk rate up a bit (6.2 percent) while striking out at his lowest rate (14.1 percent) since rookie ball, so all signs are pointing up for Sosa in his second Double-A go-'round. Sosa had been pigeonholed as a future utility guy, but if he keeps hitting this consistently (his longest hitless streak this season is two games), the White Sox will likely give him a chance to strut his stuff by next season -- and maybe sooner. With Tim Anderson in the fold and Sosa not known for his defense at shortstop, the 22-year-old will probably play second base when he gets to the big leagues.

10 for his last 35 (.286) with a double and two homers during his current 8 game hitting streak

In this writeup he was never in the Top 200 MiLB prospects (ranged 225-400 in 2018), then debuted at #76 in late May this year…
Edited by caulfield12

If Mendick is going to be on the shelf for a while, the Sox won't have to make a move on the current roster aside from an IL stint for Mendick.  But they'll need to make a 40-man move.  As others have mentioned, there are plenty of options to DFA to make room for Sosa.

If and when Sosa joins the Sox, he will need to play most games.  I can see giving Harrison the occasional start at 2B, but he'll need to be the primary second baseman going forward.  I don't trust TLR to handle him correctly.  Look how long it took him to realize that Vaughn is a great hitter and needs to play everyday (and not bat 9th).  Without proper handling, Sosa will not benefit from making it to the bigs, and neither will the Sox.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Hopefully when Tony sees the name Sosa he is reminiscing of the late 90s early 00s and thinks it’s the same guy and puts him in the lineup on a consistent basis if he is indeed getting the call

Now he can have McGuire and Sosa in the same lineup!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Assuming this is all going down, and it certainly appears to be, it will be interesting to see the roster moves today.  I don't think they're going to insta-60 day IL Mendick, but he's obviously hitting the 10-day.  Which means a 40 man spot will need to be opened.  Assume one of Aybar or Severino gets DFAd.  

With Sheets getting scratched last night, he's likely headed up as well, likely to fill in for Engel hitting the 10-day as well. Which means one of Burger and Sheets is going to DH most nights and AV back to RF.  Probably some Leury in RF as well with AV DHing and Burger at 3B.  I don't think Sheets played any RF down in AAA.   Losing Mendick and Engel while we're so banged up is going to Tony some scary defensive bad combos to work with. 

Should be some shuffling down on the farm too.  Charlotte hardly has enough position players to field a team right now. 

So people can just enjoy themselves a bit.

20-21-year-old Eloy Jimenez in AA (71 games): .326/.375/.557, 13 home runs
21-year-old Luis Robert in AA (56 games): .314/.362/.518, 8 home runs
22-year-old Lenyn Sosa in AA (62 games): .331/.384/.549, 14 home runs

Yes, I dropped Sosa's 2021 season to show he made some sort of change because he went from intriguing SS prospect with some projection to Eloy/Robert.

• Like 1
  • Fire 2

Yeah, Tony could keep throwing him in there. If he's struggling while adjusting, just keep penciling him in until he cracks or survives. Jumping from AA to MLB shouldn't be a problem at all. 

Or, maybe find spots for him so he can have some early success and build his confidence. Long term player developmental goals should trump short term team needs when developing young talent. 

1 minute ago, Quin said:

So people can just enjoy themselves a bit.

20-21-year-old Eloy Jimenez in AA (71 games): .326/.375/.557, 13 home runs
21-year-old Luis Robert in AA (56 games): .314/.362/.518, 8 home runs
22-year-old Lenyn Sosa in AA (62 games): .331/.384/.549, 14 home runs

Yes, I dropped Sosa's 2021 season to show he made some sort of change because he went from intriguing SS prospect with some projection to Eloy/Robert.

Looks like Sosa is on track to spend most of 2025-26 on the injured list.

• Haha 5

For me it is fun how this has played out. Probably unfairly, but I sort of separate out the Cuban pipeline from the rest of our INTL process. They pay a premium (esp in Robert, Abreu case) and are getting older, more established prospects.

But in 2017 Paddys tenure outside abreu had shown zilch, especially in the position player side. Our top signings in 2015 were awful in DSL ball, let alone when they finally made it stateside. Adolfo was more of an idea than a player (I believe this was his breakout year in 2017). Players rarely made it past A ball. Yolmer was the last guy we had make it up and I think he was signed in that no mans land after wilder?

So it was significant when Sosa showed up in AZL as a 16/17 year old and was not striking out 40% of the time, and getting contact with his decent average. He finally seemed like a guy who may make it to the show. After that, he moved up like clockwork, rarely wowing but always surviving some very difficult jumps and extremely young for his levels.

But as he was going through that, we started actually getting really shiny objects that stole his thunder. Ramos came in with some actual power. Baileys first year in DSL, Mieses return to A ball, Yolbert's AA year, Misael Gonzalez. And we kinda missed Sosa last year really starting to put up some solid A+ numbers.

And then out of nowhere this year happens. So it's funny to me Sosa way back in 2017 finally being something to latch onto as the first guy that may actually have some MLB run, and here he is, actually that. He beat Adolfo to the show. He beat Yolbert. He beat Ramos.

And once again he did it by just showing incredible resilience, durability, resilience and maturity to handle big challenges.

Hopefully that translates to the big leagues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

59 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

With Sheets getting scratched last night, he's likely headed up as well, likely to fill in for Engel hitting the 10-day as well. Which means one of Burger and Sheets is going to DH most nights and AV back to RF.  Probably some Leury in RF as well with AV DHing and Burger at 3B.  I don't think Sheets played any RF down in AAA.   Losing Mendick and Engel while we're so banged up is going to Tony some scary defensive bad combos to work with. 

I feel bad saying this because I want the guy to succeed, but I was really enjoying not seeing Sheets the past couple weeks.

Who knows, maybe the improved hitting is contagious enough that he’ll start producing too.

https://ouresquina.com/2021/marco-paddy-stocked-deep-white-sox-roster/

asinwreck

Reply to  Richard
 1 year ago

“I’m not Jim, but the Sox are unique, for better or worse. Reinsdorf’s allergies to handing big money to teenagers means the team’s big splashes are for older talent. That means focusing on Cubans. I don’t know if the Sox beat out the Cardinals for Robert if Abreu and Moncada aren’t already on the team. Paddy establishing an advantage in signing Cuban players is the single biggest accomplishment of Sox scouting and development this century.

As Jim’s wonderful resource in this post reveals, Paddy has occasionally been able to sign a teenager from the Dominican Republic to a high-six or (Guerrero, Adolfo) low-seven-figure bonus. It’s a guess, but I suspect forwarding the “good bloodlines” argument (his uncle’s a Hall of Famer! His dad’s a longtime infielder!) allows Jerry to make some exceptions. Still, the international scouts are constrained by the same policies that recently lead to drafting every University of Louisville player who is ambulatory (and further constrained by the baffling decision to trade slot money).

One of my dashed hopes after 2005 was that the Sox would establish the kind of Venezuelan talent pipeline that the Astros had in the 1990s. Ozzie was the first Venezuelan-born manager to win a World Series, and it doesn’t take much imagination to see a way that the team could have established a sales pitch on that (and competitive bonus offers) that might have us talking about the team’s ability to sign and develop players in the 21st century that builds on the successes of the 20th century. Instead, we had the David Wilder scandal destroy the international scouting program for years.

https://soxmachine.com/futuresox/a-record-of-white-sox-international-signings-during-the-marco-paddy-era/

Edited by caulfield12

I don't have a problem with Paddy per se, I think Hahn is the problem in letting each unit run independent strategies and not trying to make any complement each other. 

Look at crochet, to me that's a big sign of lack of cohesion in decision making in pd vs. scouting vs. gm. Hostetler and Paddy were both generating older prospects and left a gaping chasm after the main graduations. Shirley and Paddy are both going after top talent and running some very small classes.

Paddy definitely got INTL scouting up and running. It doesn't run exactly the way I like, but for the most part when Paddy values a guy higher than BA or some other group indicates other team did, I tend to beleive paddy is right. He also doesn't run PD, so who knows how much extra buffer could happen. But at this point, the guy put his neck down on Tatis, Robert, Abreu, tried hard for Soto. I didn't think Yolbert had a chance to be decent based on his Cuban stats, now he's on verge of a long mlb career (still wouldn't have paid him 2.5 mill and made him our own class, but eh). 

• Like 1

“The previous year the Dominican Republic supplied the same number, 86, while Venezuela had 58. At one point, 23 Major League Baseball teams had training facilities in Venezuela; today the number is down to just four—the Philadelphia Phillies, the Detroit Tigers, the Seattle Mariners and the Tampa Bay Rays.”

It should be noted that the White Sox didn’t ever have an academy down there despite the team history with Ozzie, Freddy Garcia, Magglio, Aparicio, Carrasquel, etc.  The Astros, fwiw, historically had one of the best operations down there in the 1990’s and early 2000’s.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1070082

Harvesting Baseball Talent Easier in Dominican Republic Than Venezuela