Baby/Parenting Thread

pettie4sox

Nice, congrats!

Don't buy a lot of NB sized clothes, really try not to buy too much until you know what you need. They change phases so quick, and every baby is different with preferences for places to sleep, etc.

Other than that, the worst advice you'll hear that is actually the best advice you'll hear is 'you'll know what to do when it happens'. Hard to understand how you will know the exact needs of a teeny blob that can't speak or do much, but you'll be spending so much time with them you figure it out pretty quick. But hard to prepare for how you'll know stuff.

• Like 1

We got a lot of hand me down clothes from friends and family who were done building their families.  People are also really generous when it comes to a registry.  Any additional items that we needed were taken care via the registry.  Not to mention, people just keep sending cash.  I have bought gifts for weddings and baby showers before, my case could be an exception maybe, but I didn't realize how much people come together for such joyous moments in your life!

39 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread like this already, but I'm expecting my first child next month.  Any advice from soxtalk parents?

Thanks in advance!

Congrats and good luck! Do you know what you're having?

I have two daughters, 19 months and 2 months.

My only advice is to work as a team with your wife (yes I just assumed your gender and marital status). There will be stressful days and especially nights. You'll get through it. Remember that you're in it together and this is a happy time despite the many frustrations that will surely come. As bmags said, you'll know what you need when it happens. Every kid is different so any specific advice I could offer about clothes, toys, sleep tips, etc. might be useless for you.

Cherish this time as they are only little once!

5 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

Congrats and good luck! Do you know what you're having?

I have two daughters, 19 months and 2 months.

My only advice is to work as a team with your wife (yes I just assumed your gender and marital status). There will be stressful days and especially nights. You'll get through it. Remember that you're in it together and this is a happy time despite the many frustrations that will surely come. As bmags said, you'll know what you need when it happens. Every kid is different so any specific advice I could offer about clothes, toys, sleep tips, etc. might be useless for you.

Cherish this time as they are only little once!

You are quite the fresh parent as well.  Thanks for the input.  I know there isn't a one size fits all approach but I just don't want to fuck up the kid you know.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

You are quite the fresh parent as well.  Thanks for the input.  I know there isn't a one size fits all approach but I just don't want to fuck up the kid you know.

I feel ya.

My philosophy is love them, let them be themselves, and the rest will take care of itself. Let's hope that works out!

• Love 1

I am going to say this much out loud.

Everyone is going to have advice for you.  Literally everyone.  Don't feel obligated to follow any of it.  You guys know your situation better than anyone, and your rationale for what you are doing and why.

It is also 100% expected to have times where you are all of scared, confused and in awe.  Every situation is unique, and despite how much they will act like it, no one is an expert on your family.

Finally enjoy it.  All will tell you how fast it will go, but it will go even faster than that.  Take pictures, stay in the moment.  Have loads of fun.

• Like 1

One time a month or two before I was going to be a dad for the first time, we were at a restaurant and she had to use the restroom so I was waiting outside.  This older guy next to me after asking if it was my first kid on the way goes, “want some advice?”

Of course I’m like, “yea sure, please.”

He goes, “You don’t need any.  None.”

Stuck with me. And boy was he right.   

You’re gonna be an awesome dad. Congrats on the best thing ever!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pettie4sox said:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread like this already, but I'm expecting my first child next month.  Any advice from soxtalk parents?

Thanks in advance!

Say goodbye to sleep for about 6 months or so.

First kid it took 3-4 months for her to sleep through the night.

Second one took a year. :bang

I don't know if it would work for every baby, but the album Sleep Baby Sleep by Nicolette Larson was a godsend late nights when I could not get my infant son back to sleep.  I would put it on and walk the room with him and before long he would be out.

Congratulations to you and your wife of course on the fabulous news.  Your lives have just changed in so many wonderful ways.

• Love 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:16 AM, pettie4sox said:

Thanks guys!  Surreal experience!  

Man.  It sure is.  And it never really isn't.  I have 3 girls 9-5-1.5.  The only thing I'll say is to enjoy it.  They aren't little for long.  It won't always be easy, but try to soak it up while you can.  Before you know it they just want a phone and youtube videos!  😄

• Love 1

I am sitting in the glider with my son who was born on 11/3/20! We are watching Cocomelon, it is like crack for kids.

Try your best to work with your wife as a team. Hopefully she won’t have disagreements about sleep training, taking a bottle and putting the baby down for naps. I have had to work some of this as a parent and it hasn’t been fun, but it’s not impossible either.

Also, I recommend getting a diaper genie. It’s very easy and useful.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If all goes well, he'll be home today.  I tried to attach pictures but Soxtalk isn't really built for that it seems.  Thank you for the lovely comments from all!  Hopefully we can keep this thread up and running to help all us new parents out!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

If all goes well, he'll be home today.  I tried to attach pictures but Soxtalk isn't really built for that it seems.  Thank you for the lovely comments from all!  Hopefully we can keep this thread up and running to help all us new parents out!

Congrats and good luck!  I remember being more terrified than any other moment in my life the first time we were putting our oldest in her car seat and getting ready to leave the hospital!  

And just speaking again from my experience, there are times where Daddy just won't do and the baby/kid needs Mom.  It can be hard.  I remember being really frustrated and even hurt over it.  If I could go back I'd tell myself not to worry about it.  It happens.  They take different comfort from different people,  just like anyone else.  And even though I wanted to be everything to them, you can't always be that.  And it turns around too.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Congrats and good luck!  I remember being more terrified than any other moment in my life the first time we were putting our oldest in her car seat and getting ready to leave the hospital!  

And just speaking again from my experience, there are times where Daddy just won't do and the baby/kid needs Mom.  It can be hard.  I remember being really frustrated and even hurt over it.  If I could go back I'd tell myself not to worry about it.  It happens.  They take different comfort from different people,  just like anyone else.  And even though I wanted to be everything to them, you can't always be that.  And it turns around too.  

There is something terrifying about that first car ride. I think it’s just that the mom just completed an arduous, taxing journey without a hitch and you just have to hit a pedal to go zoom and if you hit a curb everyone will kill you.

much harder for a man 

• Haha 3