Oscar Colas Story (Is this true?)

Just now, Polar Bear said:

You obviously can't read.  Id suggest trying to get some lessons in that sooner than later 

Man you are fragile.  One disagreement and you meltdown.  Calm down Oscar.

The Sox took a middle ground with Colas that recognized his lack of high experience and complete lack of playing time going back to the end of 2019.  They are literally splitting the difference between an ACTUAL high level international pro who has proven himself at the highest levels outside of the US, and some unnamed player who is getting his first American pro ball experience.  Like I said it is obvious he is ready for AA, but there is also no need to treat him like Seiya Suzuki.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tray said:

If Colson Montgomery could play corner outfield he might be another option to call up later in the season.

That’s crazy to move a high school kid to the big leagues that quickly.

One of the last to pull that off was Alex Rodriguez.  

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/content/player/156293/

Look at Bryce Harper.

https://www.thebaseballcube.com/page.asp?PT=player&ID=222138

Or CJ Abrams.

Under 500 minor league plate appearances before being promoted.

Then you’re asking a kid who has only played on the infield his whole life to make that conversion in season?

Maybe if you’re collegiate relievers like Sale, Crochet or Joyce you can pull that off.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tray said:

If Colson Montgomery could play corner outfield he might be another option to call up later in the season.

Why on earth would you do this.  The kid has played a grand total of zero professional games in the outfield.  Why do you even believe that he could play there at all, much less at the professional level, after playing 74 total games in the organization at SS?

B7E964A6-5208-4DEA-88EF-95C64AC6AFF7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Why on earth would you do this.  The kid has played a grand total of zero professional games in the outfield.  Why do you even believe that he could play there at all, much less at the professional level, after playing 74 total games in the organization at SS

1, TA blocks any prospect at SS for a few years

2. The Sox need speed in the outfield

3. The Sox need a LH hitter and Montgomery is starting to show he can hit with power

4. He is as tall as Eloy - 6'4" - and filling out. Looks like more of a corner outfielder than a SS to me.

5. He is the Sox No. 1 prospect.

6. September call-up, especially if the Sox are out of play-off contention.

7. Watch some of his highlight videos.

8.  Talent evaluation.

9. Oscar Colas latest comments make me think Montgomery should come up before he does.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, tray said:

1, TA blocks any prospect at SS for a few years

2. The Sox need speed in the outfield

3. The Sox need a LH hitter and Montgomery is starting to show he can hit with power

4. He is as tall as Eloy - 6'4" - and filling out. Looks like more of a corner outfielder than a SS to me.

5. He is the Sox No. 1 prospect.

6. September call-up, especially if the Sox are out of play-off contention.

7. Watch some of his highlight videos.

8.  Talent evaluation.

9. Oscar Colas latest comments make me think Montgomery should come up before he does.

Well this is just a terrible reason.

• Like 4

Montgomery is an infielder and is playing his first year of professional ball. There is no need to rush his development as a player. Sox have not done that too many times where it has backfired. Montgomery needs to continue playing SS as long as possible. I see a lot similarities defensively and offensively with Corey Seager size and skills. I can't think of one good reason to rush a 20 year old who has played two weeks in High A Ball to the MLB roster.   

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Montgomery is an infielder and is playing his first year of professional ball. There is no need to rush his development as a player. Sox have not done that too many times where it has backfired. Montgomery needs to continue playing SS as long as possible. I see a lot similarities defensively and offensively with Corey Seager size and skills. I can't think of one good reason to rush a 20 year old who has played two weeks in High A Ball to the MLB roster.   

Luckily this only needs to be explained to @tray, NO ONE else thinks it’s a good idea 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Montgomery at RF and TA at C, due to "talent evaluation"

I never suggested TA for CF but a few on this forum did.

I also never suggested trading Vaughn for Ed Howard which someone accused me of.

Montgomery is not proving to be a plus defender as an infielder thus far. There is nothing wrong with trying him out as a corner outfielder, especially when the Sox have TA at SS for several more years and do not have any LH hitting outfielder that has Colson's  offensive upside.

"Luckily this only needs to be explained to @tray, NO ONE else  thinks it’s a good idea "

I don't care what  a few wise guys think.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tray said:

I also never suggested trading Vaughn for Ed Howard which someone accused me of.

Montgomery is not proving to be a plus defender as an infielder thus far. There is nothing wrong with trying him out as a corner outfielder, especially when the Sox have TA at SS for several more years and do not have any LH hitting outfielder that has Colson's  offensive upside.

"Luckily this only needs to be explained to @tray, NO ONE else  thinks it’s a good idea "

The kid is 19 and hasn't played a professional game at the position.  Not one.  You are suggesting a late season jump of two levels to the highest competition and playing out of position, claiming to be based on personal talent evaluation, using other weird positional suggestions(that never happened) as proof that it's fine, and call everyone else wise guys.  Alrighty 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tray said:

It's not a terrible idea. That's why the Sox were slow on the bandwagon of drafting middle infielders. They can be moved to a lot of other positions because of their athleticism. Too early for it now of course. Let him keep hitting and developing as a SS . Oh and btw TA was suggested at catcher not CF by greg775 a few years ago. Your suggestion isn't even as close to that bad. Plenty of middle infielders can convert to the OF while mid. inf. to catcher is quite a stretch.

So while it isn't a stretch to suggest he can play OF , it is quite the stretch to suggest he do it this year and especially in MLB when it's possible the Sox don't even move him to AA  for another couple months. He'll be playing SS for a while.But you never know how things might turn out.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

31 minutes ago, tray said:

56 errors

After the 1993 season in Greensboro, when Jeter made 56 errors, there were doubts about the No. 6 overall pick in the 1992 draft. Even his roommate, University of Houston alum R.D. Long, had doubts. Until the next season, after Jeter's offseason defensive workouts with coaches Brian Butterfield and Trey Hillman.

Tim Anderson had a fielding percentage of under 900 with 31 errors at Winston-Salem.

Corey Seager had 17, 19 and 22 errors his three minor league seasons, with under 140 GP

I don’t think it’s possible to find any high caliber MLB shortstops who weren’t making 20-40 errors per season in their Low and High A seasons.  The field conditions don’t even compare to AA and AAA stadiums.   That’s 1/3rd of it, at least.

That’s where you have to rely on your scouts.  Range, plus arm strength, work ethic, teamwork with 2B, going back on popups or into foul territory past the LF line, throwing across one’s body coming in, as well as deep backhand jump throws and plants or throwing to 1B with all of one’s momentum going towards the RF foul line on balls hit up the middle or to the right of second on extreme LH shifts.  Most importantly, soft hands, like Juan Uribe.

We have been wrong or underestimated Escobar, Semien and Tatis, Jr., as well as drafted Tim Anderson out of JUCO ball in MS, so THIS might be one the few things the Sox actually do right.  Heck, identifying Leury in the Alex Rios trade even. That doesn’t even include Yolmer Sanchez, who was originally a SS.

Unless he plays CF at above average level with the glove and bat (see Thomas, Alek), you’re losing a fair percentage of his value moving him.  At RF, he is likely to be just an average bat.  On the infield, that power is so much more valuable at 3B SS or 2B.

Plus he will be arriving at the big league level right at the time they need to make a kong term decision on Tim Anderson’s future.

Edited by caulfield12