What to do with Abreu?

Jack Parkman

Re-sign Abreu?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Re-sign Abreu?

• Yes
    • No

The answer is.,.it depends. The current mix of players has to be adjusted. The DH/1B clusterfuck has to be dealt with in the offseason. Let’s see how the rest of the season goes. If keeping Eloy and Abreu means trading Vaughn, then no, I don’t want Abreu back. 

I'd use the $ towards signing Brandon Nimmo.  

Realistically, Jose will be back if he wants to play here though assuming JR is still around come December.  

It is hard to say this team would be better without Jose - I truly don't believe that - but the team is so much better defensively and lineup-balance wise if he's gone.  Spend that $ on Nimmo, move AV to 1st (can still play some LF on days when they wanna get Sheets in lineup) and move Eloy to DH fulltime. 

Anderson SS, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, AV 1B/LF, Eloy DH, Yaz C, Pollock LF, Nimmo RF, Harrison/Leury 2B (would hope they'd improve there, but won't hold my breath with the team option)

BN: Leury/Harrison, Sheets, Engel, McGuire/Perez

Team defense improves pretty drastically and much more balance in the the lineup.  I think Pollock is probably back next year because he's unlikely to opt out on his end for 1/$10-12M, and with the $5M buyout, if the net cost is $5-7M for 1 year, I think Sox keep him around, which is probably fine.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd use the $ towards signing Brandon Nimmo.  

Realistically, Jose will be back if he wants to play here though assuming JR is still around come December.  

It is hard to say this team would be better without Jose - I truly don't believe that - but the team is so much better defensively and lineup-balance wise if he's gone.  Spend that $ on Nimmo, move AV to 1st (can still play some LF on days when they wanna get Sheets in lineup) and move Eloy to DH fulltime. 

Anderson SS, Moncada 3B, Robert CF, AV 1B/LF, Eloy DH, Yaz C, Pollock LF, Nimmo RF, Harrison/Leury 2B (would hope they'd improve there, but won't hold my breath with the team option)

BN: Leury/Harrison, Sheets, Engel, McGuire/Perez

Team defense improves pretty drastically and much more balance in the the lineup.  I think Pollock is probably back next year because he's unlikely to opt out on his end for 1/$10-12M, and with the $5M buyout, if the net cost is $5-7M for 1 year, I think Sox keep him around, which is probably fine.  

Still buying into the myth a NL player will work out for the White Sox.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What does everyone think? Should they bring back Abreu or not? 

I think they're too right handed and flush with 1B/DH options to bring him back. That money would be of better use elsewhere. 

Yes. He wont be expensive.  

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

Still buying into the myth a NL player will work out for the White Sox.

That really has no bearing on things whatsoever.  Nimmo would be a huge step in solving this team's problems.

He is still the only sure thing to being a 30/100 guy in this lineup. 

I had figured Eloy would have gotten here by now and that Robert and Moncada would help supplement the power needed in the top/middle of the order. 

None of that has happened.   Vaughn looks promising, but I don't see 30+ HR pop in that bat yet. 

I don't know how the Sox can afford to walk away from Abreu.

It's how disappointing the development has been of this "Core". 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That really has no bearing on things whatsoever.  Nimmo would be a huge step in solving this team's problems.

History proves you wrong.  Keep riding that train. It still hasn't been able to just over those cliffs.

• Haha 1

Abreu has been one of the very few players the Sox have been able to count on.  If you take him out you become even more dependent on players who haven't proven themselves to be anything but injury prone.

It might "balance" the roster better, but you would have to figure out how to replace his consistent .280 30/100 on an annual basis.

• Like 2

Just now, kitekrazy said:

History proves you wrong.  Keep riding that train. It still hasn't been able to just over those cliffs.

So your suggestion is to ignore half of major league baseball due to some silly occurrence that has happened with a few aging players? Brilliant strategy!  Plus, Yaz was more than worth his contract in the first 2 seasons so that one doesn't really even hold true.  Its really just an Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoache problem.  Sign players that do more than just hit (like Nimmo) and it won't be as big of an issue even if there is some adjustment period to the new league.    

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

So your suggestion is to ignore half of major league baseball due to some silly occurrence that has happened with a few aging players? Brilliant strategy!  Plus, Yaz was more than worth his contract in the first 2 seasons so that one doesn't really even hold true.  Its really just an Adam Dunn and Adam LaRoache problem.  Sign players that do more than just hit (like Nimmo) and it won't be as big of an issue even if there is some adjustment period to the new league.    

You can hang out with Charlie Brown waiting for the great pumpkin.   History is on my side.  You have to look at it as it is what it is.   

The other reality is Sox can't.wont about bid the Mets.

There is really no logic in my point but the results seem to be the same when those players put on a Sox uniform.   It seems the gambling industry looks at history.

Edited by kitekrazy
  • Haha 1

If you watched last night's game you realize he is the only thing close to a major league hitter.

If Vaughan ever pulled the ball he may become one but that is it. 

I am not certain what Moncada and Robert are even trying to do at he plate and Anderson's singles when there is nobody on has become tedious. 

Yes let's move on from our only good hitter. 

9 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

You can hang out with Charlie Brown waiting for the great pumpkin.   History is on my side.  You have to look at it as it is what it is.   

The other reality is Sox can't.wont about bid the Mets.

There is really no logic in my point but the results seem to be the same when those players put on a Sox uniform.   It seems the gambling industry looks at history.

Again, ignoring half of the league's player pool over a couple of poor signings (and truly, that is all it is), is absolutely insane.  NL to White Sox doesn't mean you suck.  Signing shitty players that are towards the end of their career that provide little value outside of their bat is why this has been an issue for the Sox. 

But carry on with this crazy thought process if you wish.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Again, ignoring half of the league's player pool over a couple of poor signings (and truly, that is all it is), is absolutely insane.  NL to White Sox doesn't mean you suck.  Signing shitty players that are towards the end of their career that provide little value outside of their bat is why this has been an issue for the Sox. 

But carry on with this crazy thought process if you wish.

LOL. Twist and twist and maybe your pretzel will turn into a donut. Poor signings are also after the fact.

"It's the Great Pumpkin Charie Brown". 

Edited by kitekrazy

You have to let him walk assuming our current roster construction.  We have 4 DH/1B.  Eloy you can't trade cuz his value has plummeted, Vaughn you wouldn't trade cuz his value is high.  Grandal you are likely stuck with the contract, and Abreu is 2 years from retirement/falling off a cliff.  I'd let him go and bring someone in that helps us balance more.

1. Re-sign Abreu.
  2. Cold April.
  3. Ron makes thread about Abreu's age / performance as Father Time is undefeated.
  4. Abreu begins to warm up in May.
  5. Someone bumps Ron's thread.
  6. Abreu gets red hot in June.
  7. All of us: "Yeah, we have a log jam, but like, we need this bat."
  8. Repeat the cycle until Abreu gets a number retirement ceremony, statue, etc.
  9. Begin cycle anew with Andrew Vaughn and the next White Sox first baseman.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

What AL player that the Sox have signed has worked out for them? 

It's a White Sox problem not a league problem. Vets come here to die. 

Liam.  Lynn

Let's also not leave out trades. 

"It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown." 

Sure someday, someday, they will work if I'm granted 3 lifetimes.