Grandal starts Rehab tomorrow

Heads22

14 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

And how long until he gets shut down again?

Man, you've really turned on Yaz. Lets hope his bottom half is strong because we could certainly use his left handed stick and OBP. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Man, you've really turned on Yaz. Lets hope his bottom half is strong because we could certainly use his left handed stick and OBP. 

I was never a big fan of his before the past year's worth of injury, but also recognize where his OBP etc helps this team a ton.  If he comes back and proves he has something left, cool, I'll be the first to admit I was premature in calling him toast.  But I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

2 big uh oh moments for me.  The first was the day I heard we got Grandal.  The second was hearing we hired Tony.  Grandal is fun and exciting but definitely not a WS caliber catcher imo.  We need to really start developing catchers and teaching them the mental game.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I can tell how blase Sox fans are because NO ONE is updating this at all.

Probably because he's an old catcher and Zavala and McGuire actually are doing a fine job so far. The Sox do need a productive LH bat that's for sure. They need the OBP and the power. We're just not sure he can provide those things as quickly as the Sox need them. If say, in his 1st 10 games back he's not providing much hitting but only getting on base via walking that's not  much help especially when Zavala has a hot bat and getting less time or going back to the minors may hurt . Seby has provided .7 fWar already in his short time with the Sox in 2022. Does anyone think Grandal can provide that when he comes back in only 71 PA like Zavala has.

We all know Seby is producing way beyond expectations but it does appear something has changed with him.

Adding Grandal only adds basically a part time catcher and one more DH into the fold. Who gets benched with less AB's ,our current hottest bats in Sheets or Zavala? Andrew Vaughn ? Eloy ? Abreu has been amazing for 2 months now. Does he sit and get more rest to allow Vaughn more time ? Do the Sox shorten the bench,negate PR ability, and versatility keeping 3 catchers ? Burger looks like the likely candidate to go down but I sure don't want 3 catchers on the 26 if the options situation means one of them has to be released.

I guess Zavala is the obvious choice to go down since he has options and McGwire does not, but Seby has shown a little more this time that gives you pause. Yes, it was a small sample size, but even his defense behind the plate which was his weakest point last year improved a lot. 

Mcgwire has thrown out the most base runners I’ve seen from a Sox catcher in awhile  and the bat is coming around slowly. We’d have to DFA McGwire if we wanted to keep Zavala on the MLB squad, I think  

Its Seby to AAA… right? 

I'd honestly like to see 3 catchers, especially knowing TLR's propensity for DHing / 1Bing Grandal.

I'm not a fan of the prospects of burning the DH when Leury comes in to pinch hit for McGuire / Zavala late in the game.

15 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

I guess Zavala is the obvious choice to go down since he has options and McGwire does not, but Seby has shown a little more this time that gives you pause. Yes, it was a small sample size, but even his defense behind the plate which was his weakest point last year improved a lot. 

Mcgwire has thrown out the most base runners I’ve seen from a Sox catcher in awhile  and the bat is coming around slowly. We’d have to DFA McGwire if we wanted to keep Zavala on the MLB squad, I think  

Its Seby to AAA… right? 

I don't believe Zavala has options remaining and would have to be DFA'd

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

They way he has hit, it would really be a surprise if he made it through waivers. If McGuire has an option left, he is going to have to enjoy Charlotte.

Neither Seby or McGuire have options.  Both would need to be DFA'd.  I would wager a bet Sox phantom IL one of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

Which would be ridiculous.  But when you don't think 2 moves ahead, this happens.  Last year the #30 farm waived its #12 (or so) prospect.

Seby isn't a prospect.  He's almost 30.  Everyone in baseball passed on him this offseason.  

He's been a pleasant surprise this season and he's easy to root for, but let's not get lost in the trees here.