Grandal starts Rehab tomorrow

Heads22

9 hours ago, JoeC said:

I'd honestly like to see 3 catchers, especially knowing TLR's propensity for DHing / 1Bing Grandal.

I'm not a fan of the prospects of burning the DH when Leury comes in to pinch hit for McGuire / Zavala late in the game.

With his leg/knee issues, i bet he'll only catch about 1/2 the games in the second half.

20 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Seby isn't a prospect.  He's almost 30.  Everyone in baseball passed on him this offseason.  

He's been a pleasant surprise this season and he's easy to root for, but let's not get lost in the trees here.  

Almost 29 if you want to be accurate.

I cannot state strongly enough how important Seby has been. .7 FWar in 22 games and 75 PA. He's getting on base , hitting for average, slugging is good , 137 wRC+, calls a decent game,  plays decent defense , pitchers like him. Plus he actually has hit RHP much better than LHP .340 BA 152 wRC+.

Grandal is going to have to come out sizzling to beat that. How likely is that ? Grandal may make the Sox worse against RHP and worse defensively.

On 7/12/2022 at 2:34 PM, ChiSox59 said:

Seby isn't a prospect.  He's almost 30.  Everyone in baseball passed on him this offseason.  

He's been a pleasant surprise this season and he's easy to root for, but let's not get lost in the trees here.  

He's a legitimate major league catcher who has played well. It would be ridiculous to cut a good player (again).  They could probably get some lotto prospect for McGuire if they tried.

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

He's a legitimate major league catcher who has played well. It would be ridiculous to cut a good player (again).  They could probably get some lotto prospect for McGuire if they tried.

I'd see if McGuire can clear waivers.

16 hours ago, GreenSox said:

I'd rather trade Grandal. I know that seems odd.  Why trade McGuire for a prospect when the Sox got the better end this time by trading their failed prospect.  I'm not willing to spin the luck wheel again.

Who ever thought the Sox would have this kind of trouble at this position.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

No objection here.  But that's just really unlikely. Not the MO of the FO.
Zeb did a nice frame job to end game 4 in Cleveland.

It's a small part of the game but I think people miss it: I maintain that Grandal can't catch a "non-pitched" ball for the life of him. Every potential play at the plate, Grandal drops the throw so we never even get a chance at the out.

I wish there was some way to track this but it's been evident for a few years - dude mishandles WAY more potential outfield assists than his peers.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

• Hawk 1

9 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's a small part of the game but I think people miss it: I maintain that Grandal can't catch a "non-pitched" ball for the life of him. Every potential play at the plate, Grandal drops the throw so we never even get a chance at the out.

I wish there was some way to track this but it's been evident for a few years - dude mishandles WAY more potential outfield assists than his peers.

TBF, Seby hasn't exactly been great that either.  

Seby's been decent so far at the plate, but I'm not sure his numbers are really as good as they seem. He's 2 for 3 against position players with a double and a homer. Take those away and he's hitting .287/.333/.425. That's a 65 point drop in OPS just based on 3 ABs against position players where the game was already decided. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

TBF, Seby hasn't exactly been great that either.  

Yeah Seby has missed the ball at home at least twice. If it hops on the way home, there's a good chance he's whiffing on it. 

37 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's a small part of the game but I think people miss it: I maintain that Grandal can't catch a "non-pitched" ball for the life of him.

I hear ya.   They could also DH Grandal, and IL Eloy and get him fully healthy.  Could use the LH stick.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Seby's been decent so far at the plate, but I'm not sure his numbers are really as good as they seem. He's 2 for 3 against position players with a double and a homer. Take those away and he's hitting .287/.333/.425. That's a 65 point drop in OPS just based on 3 ABs against position players where the game was already decided. 

I get the point you're trying to make, but a .287/.333/.425 slash from your back up catcher, hell even your starting catcher, is pretty damn good.

1 hour ago, GreenSox said:

No objection here.  But that's just really unlikely. Not the MO of the FO.
Zeb did a nice frame job to end game 4 in Cleveland.

I disagree about the MO of the FO. They showed they would DFA a player if needed in Keuchal. 

The more pressing is who would trade for a catcher with a bad knee and spine?

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I disagree about the MO of the FO. They showed they would DFA a player if needed in Keuchal. 

The more pressing is who would trade for a catcher with a bad knee and spine?

This (sort of).  The Sox have three catchers, all of whom at least a few teams would see as an upgrade to their current catcher's room (football term, but feel it applies here).  

Grandal probably isn't realistically tradeable given his salary and recent injury history.  And I'm not saying the return on Zavala or McGuire would be anything especially impressive, but if the Sox DFA one of them and just watch one leave for no return, they've made a very avoidable mistake.

4 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Stone pointed that out some time ago. Pitchers were afraid to throw certain pitches knowing he's mishandle it.