Grandal starts Rehab tomorrow

Heads22

20 hours ago, BRDSR said:

This (sort of).  The Sox have three catchers, all of whom at least a few teams would see as an upgrade to their current catcher's room (football term, but feel it applies here).  

Grandal probably isn't realistically tradeable given his salary and recent injury history.  And I'm not saying the return on Zavala or McGuire would be anything especially impressive, but if the Sox DFA one of them and just watch one leave for no return, they've made a very avoidable mistake.

Carry 3 catchers for a short period of time?

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Carry 3 catchers for a short period of time?

Basically with no Eloy, Burger and Mendick you can do that.

All three of the Central teams still have significant flaws.

We should simply plan on not having Jimenez for the rest of the season and add Josh Bell to balance LH/RH, because it’s still hard to count on Sheets, Moncada or Grandal at this point.  That said, it would be great if Grandal could out up at least a 700+ OPS for the remainder of the season, especially adding to the walks/OBP/pitch counts.  Was looking at his numbers and saw he’d only scored 5-6 runs the entire season.  That’s nuts for how much they are paying him.

At any rate, then can then play Engel more if they’re getting increased offensive production from the other spots.

(Of course, that still puts AV and Sheets in the OF far more than one would like.)

• Haha 1

They’re just gonna IL Rees is my guess. Maybe they can flip him for a live arm for someone desperate for catching help. I’d be surprised to see them move on from Zavala at this point, tho I do suspect regression is gonna hit hard soon on Seby. 

3 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

They’re just gonna IL Rees is my guess. Maybe they can flip him for a live arm for someone desperate for catching help. I’d be surprised to see them move on from Zavala at this point, tho I do suspect regression is gonna hit hard soon on Seby. 

I don't think so. I think they will keep the good defensive, LHH catcher.

48 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't see any realistic scenario where Sheets gets optioned.  

They also missed the trade Zavala option.  Have to imagine you could get a live arm for him at this point.  

Edited by ChiSox59

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't see any realistic scenario where Sheets gets optioned.  

They also missed the trade Zavala option.  Have to imagine you could get a live arm for him at this point.  

There's absolutely an option where Sheets gets optioned.

However, we all forgot about option #4 where somebody else ends up on the IL instead of needing to get rid of anybody.

18 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

However, we all forgot about option #4 where somebody else ends up on the IL instead of needing to get rid of anybody.

I agree with both of these.  With Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, Pollock and Engel (and of course Leury) they have enough OF coverage.  They can send down Sheets and just use Grandal as a DH (which is probably a good thing).  Then they rotate Eloy, Grandal Vaughn and Abreu through LF, DH, and 1B.  At least for a while.  

And as mentioned Eloy could end up on the DL, or Robert, or maybe one of other catchers get injured opening up a can of coke over the break.  There's a way to make it work.

They could also trade or DFA Grandal, but that doesn't seem likely.  They really have to hope he has a 2nd half like last year and isn't a permanent black hole.  

Edited by turnin' two

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

I don’t think Sox are optioning Sheets right now. He’s played basically everyday since he got recalled and has been solid. They aren’t picking one of the catchers over Sheets right now. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think Sox are optioning Sheets right now. He’s played basically everyday since he got recalled and has been solid. They aren’t picking one of the catchers over Sheets right now. 

I think you have more leeway with Sheets depending on the health of Eloy.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:11 AM, MiddleCoastBias said:

It's a small part of the game but I think people miss it: I maintain that Grandal can't catch a "non-pitched" ball for the life of him. Every potential play at the plate, Grandal drops the throw so we never even get a chance at the out.

I wish there was some way to track this but it's been evident for a few years - dude mishandles WAY more potential outfield assists than his peers.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

I remember it from when he was with the Dodgers even. This is certainly a thing.

21 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think you have more leeway with Sheets depending on the health of Eloy.

One other option might be Engel. He was at 4 years, 58 days of service time to start the season so he's very close to that 5 year limit right now but I think he can still be sent down if they want to keep 3 catchers and keep Sheets.

44 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sheets has to go.  He had that little streak after he was sent down but it didn't take long for pitchers to remember where all the holes are in his swing. The last week he hit .077/.143/.077.  They absolutely can not continue to run this f'n guy out there.

If Eloy is ready to go, and Vaughn and Robert are back, and you still have Pollock, the OF is full again. 

Once you get Grandal back, you get another LH power bat for the middle of the order. 

Abreu and Vaughn are your top 2 first basemen, with Grandal potentially getting time there.  The same thing would happen at DH for whichever guy wasn't playing in the field.

I would rather have another catcher than Sheets right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's ALREADY been worth about 50 million dollars. 

I have no idea why he's "done." And it absolutely isn't a "terrible contract."

This.  Most of this board has lost all ability to look at Grandal objectively.  I bet he comes back and looks much closer to late season 21 Grandal than early season 22 Grandal. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He's ALREADY been worth about 50 million dollars. 

I have no idea why he's "done." And it absolutely isn't a "terrible contract."

50 millions dollars is worth 136 hits, 33 homers, 104 rbis, and a .222 average over three years? He has nice OBP and BB numbers, but he’s a butcher behind the plate, who is now becoming more of a DH/1B type. His WAR looks inflated when you plug him in primarily at catcher, which unfortunately hasn’t been this year or last.