Ryan Burr Instagram Post: Sox Released Him After He Opted for Surgery

KrankinSox

This was basically known. 

It comes to down to whether the Sox want to carry him on the 40 man roster over the winter when who knows when he will pitch again.  They have done this before to free up roster slots, and it isn't uncommon around baseball.  Tyler Johnson is the last one who comes to mind.  Typically the try to resign them to a minor league deal because they don't really want them to leave, but they also want the roster slot to protect someone from Rule 5 or something like that.  It comes down to is eventual Ryan Burr post surgery worth exposing another player to the draft, or DFAing someone else in the meantime.

They are still responsible for his health care and all of that related to his injury until he signs with some one again.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

18 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

According to Ryan Burr himself, an MRI revealed a tear in his labrum on June 5th. He opted for surgery on June 12th. Sox released him on June 13th. 

Do what you will with this information.

It looks as if you are portraying White Sox as some heartless organization.  That's not the case.  He is a professional baseball player who got hurt and Sox are, I'm sure, taking medical responsibilities, as required.  If he had a multi-year contract, Sox would pay it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

It looks as if you are portraying White Sox as some heartless organization.  That's not the case.  He is a professional baseball player who got hurt and Sox are, I'm sure, taking medical responsibilities, as required.  If he had a multi-year contract, Sox would pay it.

Burr is the one suggesting that. I merely shared the post and let others make up their own mind. If I wanted to portray the Sox a certain way, I would have come right out and said it.

Lol people will look for anything to get worked up about.  This is just the way the game works.  Burr was no surviving the winter on the 40 man anyhow.  Sox still pay for all his medical care.  Really nothing changes.  Its a bummer he got hurt, and I feel for the dude, but this is a nothingburger. 

As others are saying, teams do this to free up the 40-man slot, sure.

But what about the chaff we've carried on the 40-man when we didn't need to? What about holding onto Yermin for so long when we knew he would never be back?

Maybe we don't know the whole story, maybe they told him not to do the surgery and he went ahead anyway. Just seems like they didn't have to cut him? And maybe I'm just naive.

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

But what about the chaff we've carried on the 40-man when we didn't need to? What about holding onto Yermin for so long when we knew he would never be back?

Maybe we don't know the whole story, maybe they told him not to do the surgery and he went ahead anyway. Just seems like they didn't have to cut him? And maybe I'm just naive.

Is putting him on the 60 day IL and then cutting him the day after the world series more palatable to you?  Because that was the other option.  

4 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

I think it goes to if they weren't going to carry him through the winter, why carry him now?  They have used the slot for sure.

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Is putting him on the 60 day IL and then cutting him the day after the world series more palatable to you?  Because that was the other option.  

Yep, this exactly.  What this does is actually allowed him to find a new team quicker instead of waiting for the axe to fall.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wave after wave of good vibes

What was the last Sox-related piece of news that really made you smile or think "Damn, I'm proud to be a Sox fan".

I can't think of one in recent memory. The Field of Dreams Game was pretty sweet, so maybe that?

27 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

What was the last Sox-related piece of news that really made you smile or think "Damn, I'm proud to be a Sox fan".

I can't think of one in recent memory. The Field of Dreams Game was pretty sweet, so maybe that?

I mean I wasn't ashamed they made the playoffs last season even though I knew they were walking into a buzz saw

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Again, for those who don't understand how all of this works.

Yep. People look for anything nowadays to get offended. It sucks for Burr but it’s the harsh reality of the business of the game. We rag on the Sox for being inept in a lot of areas, but they would be even more inept to carry a guy whose hurt and who they no longer view as being a contributor on the roster only to DFA him after the season.

• Hawk 1

As others have said, this is not out of the ordinary.  Unfortunate for fringe guys, but that's the harsh reality.  It only looks shady to the uninformed.  And amidst a shitty season it gives fodder to pile on the shitty org, but from the outside looking in, the Sox did nothing wrong here.

On 7/8/2022 at 1:49 PM, southsider2k5 said:

This was basically known. 

It comes to down to whether the Sox want to carry him on the 40 man roster over the winter when who knows when he will pitch again.  They have done this before to free up roster slots, and it isn't uncommon around baseball.  Tyler Johnson is the last one who comes to mind.  Typically the try to resign them to a minor league deal because they don't really want them to leave, but they also want the roster slot to protect someone from Rule 5 or something like that.  It comes down to is eventual Ryan Burr post surgery worth exposing another player to the draft, or DFAing someone else in the meantime.

They are still responsible for his health care and all of that related to his injury until he signs with some one again.

Thanks for posting this information. I agree with your explanation and it is a fairly common practice. It certainly doesn’t mean the Sox don’t want him it’s just that it makes no sense to keep a player on the roster who can’t contribute for at least a full year or more