If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Disagree here. Market really is constrained for trades a bit. Who could use Juan Soto? Everyone. Who is in position to benefit from paying for him for the next 2 years? Fewer, the Royals / As are, for example, not likely to trade out for him.

So you'd narrow it down a bit.

The Orioles could trump everyone with with Henderson/Rodriguez...just really hard to believe.

I'd say teams that would seriously check-in would be:
Padres
Rays
Red Sox
Yankees
Cardinals
Brewers
Twins
Tigers
Mets
Phillies
Mariners
Dodgers
Giants
Rangers
Braves
Jays
Cubs
Astros
White Sox

Of that list, I'd say teams that feel out there would be Cubs. Twins unlikely to lock him up (have buxton), Cubs too far from competition. Seems extremely unlikely Nats would trade within their division, so out go Mets/Braves/Phils/Marlins, among other reasons. Orioles could easily get Soto but it's really hard to imagine them doing that so I left them out.

So That leaves us with:
Padres
Red Sox
Yankees
Cardinals
Brewers
Twins
Tigers
Mariners
Dodgers
Giants
Jays
Astros
White Sox

Now, this is where we say "no way padres can afford x". And it seems extremely true, but...they may also get most value out of soto during just his contract remainder, and maybe make that work. Also have a huge need for a Soto.

So my top contender:
Cardinals (6 in the top 100, budget to flex, division ready for the taking)

Next group:
Red Sox,

Padres, Dodgers,
Red sox use Marcelo Mayer/Bello. Padres can dangle Abrams/Hassel. Dodgers have seven effing top 100 guys. 

Giants
Maybe luciano/harrison gets it done, and brings Giants the superstar they've lacked.

Have the talent, questionable fit:
Yankees
Rays
Tigers - obviously putting Greene forward gets you in the convo. Hard to believe though. I say no chance.
Jays - having the top guy being a catcher hurts...also just why

Not a lot of talent to offer, but would be interested
White Sox, Astros, Mariners, Brewers

so I'd put sox at like a decent top 8. Definitely need a 3rd team to make it work though.

okay, sure. haha. that's a lot of work for a post where it'll never happen regardless. lol. but sure - in spirit of wasting time on a board it's a well thought out post and  you are correct  ...  we have SOME shot in an upside down world where Jerry Reinsdorf is signing people and living with the cast of stranger things ... my post was more hyperbole in that the sox do not offer big contracts, do not take salary, washington doesn't care about dumping salary, and we have no prospects. 

56 minutes ago, he gone. said:

okay, sure. haha. that's a lot of work for a post where it'll never happen regardless. lol. but sure - in spirit of wasting time on a board it's a well thought out post and  you are correct  ...  we have SOME shot in an upside down world where Jerry Reinsdorf is signing people and living with the cast of stranger things ... my post was more hyperbole in that the sox do not offer big contracts, do not take salary, washington doesn't care about dumping salary, and we have no prospects. 

yeah there is zero chance, and if I was the Nats and the best offer were from the white sox I would just hold. I do think if the sox ever pay a monster contract it will be because they are re-signed, not on FA where they don't believe players are allowed to set their own value.

But if I was the sox I would explore trading Giolito and packaging up the returns + Colson, Vera for Soto.

2 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Just to clarify, a franchise that has never given out any 100 mil deals would now give out a 500 mil contract.  Sounds unlikely.

Yeah.  A - don't have the trade assets to pull it off, and even if they did, B - He bounces in 2 years because unless the Sox magically have new ownership, we all know JR isn't going to put $500M guaranteed down to retain him.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

That's not a serious offer. It's laughably comparable to the offer that the Sox made for Machado. 

Everyone knows they're not entertaining anything that doesn't begin with a 5, it's not rocket science. 

This is just an excuse for Nats ownership to say "we tried" Put up or shut up. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's not a serious offer. It's laughably comparable to the offer that the Sox made for Machado. 

Everyone knows they're not entertaining anything that doesn't begin with a 5, it's not rocket science. 

This really isn’t “laughable”. It’s probably a 20% discount on what he will get by going through all of free agency if he stays healthy the whole time and never has a down year. To get signed early and lock in an entire career of earnings, that’s a pretty reasonable discount.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

This really isn’t “laughable”. It’s probably a 20% discount on what he will get by going through all of free agency if he stays healthy the whole time and never has a down year. To get signed early and lock in an entire career of earnings, that’s a pretty reasonable discount.

Scott Boras doesn't give discounts. 

If the offer doesn't start with a 5 it's a joke and non-serious. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I’m sorry,  I know it’s “just money” but if you know that in two years he’s an FA and he’s going to cost your franchise AT least 500 million in order to keep his services for the rest of his career, the cost to acquire him shouldn’t be that great. The Nationals are in an absolutely terrible spot and that franchise is a mess and needs a total rebuild. Soto isn’t really “helping” them the next few years. Yes, he had tremendous value to other teams, the White Sox very much included, but because of his earth shattering contract requests, I can’t fully get on board with a team shipping out a incredible trade package as well. The only way the Nats have ant leverage is if other GM’s act foolish, which seems to always take place. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’m sorry,  I know it’s “just money” but if you know that in two years he’s an FA and he’s going to cost your franchise AT least 500 million in order to keep his services for the rest of his career, the cost to acquire him shouldn’t be that great. The Nationals are in an absolutely terrible spot and that franchise is a mess and needs a total rebuild. Soto isn’t really “helping” them the next few years. Yes, he had tremendous value to other teams, the White Sox very much included, but because of his earth shattering contract requests, I can’t fully get on board with a team shipping out a incredible trade package as well. The only way the Nats have ant leverage is if other GM’s act foolish, which seems to always take place. 

Not much surplus value. Colson and Kopech would be a fair offer imo.

Serious question here - is there anything in the CBA that prohibits players from taking an ownership stake in the team?

Offering a deferred ownership stake in the team as part of a contract negotiation would be an interesting tactic for someone with the pedigree and marketability of Soto.

No idea why Soto would even consider locking himself into a 15 year deal at the age of 23. He will have generational wealth with a 6/7 year deal and then potentially hit the open market again at 30. With the way salaries are continuously going up I wouldn’t want to be locking in my salary for a decade +.

• Like 1