If the Sox trade for Juan Soto we have a chance.

Jerksticks

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

there is next to zero chance the Sox would put together a package impressive enough, plus if it was possible, there would be less than a zero chance they ever could extend him.

True on the 1st part but talk about extending him is pointless and shouldn't factor into the equation of trading for him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

there is next to zero chance the Sox would put together a package impressive enough, plus if it was possible, there would be less than a zero chance they ever could extend him.

This is just flat out wrong. Is there any other team that could offer a package that started with two young impact type players like Vaughn and Kopech? They also have an ascending top 50 prospect in Montgomery as well.

I would rather take Vaughn, Kopech, and Montgomery over 3 top 10-20 prospects all day.

You are right though, there is less than zero chance they could ever extend him.

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

True on the 1st part but talk about extending him is pointless and shouldn't factor into the equation of trading for him.

We need to truly look at this as a 2.5 year rental.  

Try to win one of the next 3 WS with him. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The last time they tried for someone like this - they wouldn't take on Dontrell Willis.  I have to imagine in this high stakes game with the amount of $ you'd have to committ to Soto + having to take on a contract, there is zero chance the Sox are in on this. But it would be total White Sox - do it all now when you have to give up talent and everything else vs. just have played ball with Harper or Machado in a depressed market.  

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that thinking in a way, but for what it is going to cost, sustained winning ends if he leaves.

This window is closing faster than you think.

Giolito, Anderson and Cease will be free agents close to the same time Soto will be. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

This window is closing faster than you think.

Giolito, Anderson and Cease will be free agents close to the same time Soto will be. 

Even if a rental, acquiring Soto makes sense. 

The Sox can't afford to trade Kopech. 

I'd build my package around Eloy, Vaughn and Montgomery 

Edited by Jack Parkman

My wild trade proposal if they can secure Soto 1st. Or maybe before . Offer the Rangers Lance Lynn and a prospect for Martin Perez, a known Astros killer and upcoming free agent. Yes the Rangers might not be open to an older guy with his contract but it might depend on what other teams offer for Perez. Likely they get a decent prospect for him from one of the other AL contenders maybe even the Twins or Guardians.

It would clear some salary for Soto's upcoming arbitration money. Or maybe just trade Lynn to whoever in the NL puts any prospect value in him and don't complete the trade unless the Rangers say yes to the Sox other offer for Perez. Problem is with the Sox farm they probably can't get both and probably can't even beat other offers for Soto and Perez unless its a quantity and quality package that includes some combination of players like Sheets, Burger, Crochet, Vaughn, Colas ,Montgomery, Carlos Perez, Sosa, and various others in our Top Ten prospects.

If there's no way to get Soto shift to Bryan Reynolds or Happ plus Perez, which seems a lot more likely. I'd do the best I could to get Perez and keep him away from the Twins or Guardians.

1 minute ago, T R U said:

Man, you guys are crazy. Just from a player standpoint, Juan Soto is a 23 year old absolute superstar.

I'd think Vaughn, Kopech and Montgomery are up there for the Nats. Maybe Vera too. Trading Vaughn would hurt, but it would help clear out our 1B/DH logjam. You could then extend Abreu for another year or two and see if Burger can learn 1B. You'd be decent to solid at 1B and amazing in RF, which is a better combo than they have now.

Kopech I'd balk at potentially. I think Cease and Kopech is our dynamite 1/2 in the future. I wonder if they would take Crochet? They could rehab him and put him in the minors to stretch out as a starter. I think that'd be better for his career.

Montgomery would REALLY hurt - no guarantee he'll keep this up and be great, but I'd be worried about trading away a special player with tons of control for a special player who is only here for 2 years realistically.

6 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Even if a rental, acquiring Soto makes sense. 

The Sox can't afford to trade Kopech. 

I'd build my package around Eloy, Vaughn and Montgomery 

Which combination would provide more wins for the Chicago White Sox for the remainder of this year and the next two years.

Juan Soto and Davis Martin or Andrew Vaughn and Michael Kopech?

Considering that Juan Soto alone provides more wins than both Vaughn and Kopech, its an easy choice for me.

Its all wishful thinking anyways.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I get that thinking in a way, but for what it is going to cost, sustained winning ends if he leaves.

It helps to think that the Sox have no sustained winning future anyway beyond the Soto years. By then we'll know if Moncada is a real player and if Eloy will ever stay healthy. lus Gilito will be gone, Lynn will be gone , whats left of the core will be lots more expensive.

JR could live to be 100 but at some near future date he's likely to be replaced as Chairman further muddying the waters of future Sox teams.