Nightengale: Sox have clubhouse issues

chw42

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

That hour hasn't been uploaded yet, but this was his response on twitter.

Clubhouses do have cliques, but not all of them are toxic or hurt the team's performance on the field. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was really, really obvious that the Sox front office had a modern baseball mind in mind when Rick Hahn got up on Zoom and talked about his ideal manager to replace RR.  They spent all of those years suffering through shitty baseball after stripping this to the studs and rebuilding.  The last thing Rick and Kenny want to see is this ruined by a mismatch of manager and players.  Maybe they lost the behind the scenes fight with Jerry, but now they are trying to win the battle of public opinion.

Well if its an anti-TLR campaign from KW, I am all for it.

The other angle floated is some sort of campaign to place blame on players instead of coaching is one I cannot get behind.  Not that the players are not at fault, they deserve plenty of blame.  But a manager's job is actually pretty easy - put the players in the best position to succeed on a daily basis and foster a clubhouse that is pulling in one direction.  It appears TLR has failed miserably at both.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well if its an anti-TLR campaign from KW, I am all for it.

The other angle floated is some sort of campaign to place blame on players instead of coaching is one I cannot get behind.  Not that the players are not at fault, they deserve plenty of blame.  But a manager's job is actually pretty easy - put the players in the best position to succeed on a daily basis and foster a clubhouse that is pulling in one direction.  It appears TLR has failed miserably at both.  

I mean it could have been a campaign to blame the players, but if it was, it was incredibly dumb.  Like who wasn't going to make the connection between bad player leadership and a bad manager?  If your employees aren't interested in working, why wouldn't you look at their bosses?  It seems obvious to me, but I guess Jerry or Tony would be absolute morons with how to deal with fans and media.

The last 8 games before All Star break may set the tone for the second half.

Putting out this anonymous Tweet just before this critical stretch of games  or promoting it is really questionable.

The Sox aren't better on paper than the Guardians or the Twins, so I am not sure that changing the Manager will alter that equation.

Easy fixes often fail.

18 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Stone was on 670 and said he tried to contact nightengale about it but he did not answer the phone? Anyone listen to the interview today? 

Stone being a source for this is a way for it to get to Nightengale that I hadn’t previously considered.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This I would agree with.  He is also arrogant enough to think it would work.

And it isn’t the usual front office leak path- it’s someone “old school” who knows Bob rather than all the guys who do modern transactions and reports. Stone does fit that.

What benefit would Stone have to leak this to Bob, and then get on the radio and lie about it?  Seems unlikely.  Unless this was leaked by a player, there has to be a motive.  I don't think Stone really has a motive here.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

What benefit would Stone have to leak this to Bob, and then get on the radio and lie about it?  Seems unlikely.  Unless this was leaked by a player, there has to be a motive.  I don't think Stone really has a motive here.  

Stone has never known when to shut up. It's what got him out of the Cubs organization.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don’t think I follow a motive on that, but what player on this roster has Bob Nightengale as a guy they regularly talk to? It’s hard to figure both a connection and motive for any of the suspects in this case - the top guys who would leak to Nightengale are Jerry and TLR, and this would require an impressive degree of idiocy for them.

16 minutes ago, tray said:

Putting out this anonymous Tweet just before this critical stretch of games  or promoting it is really questionable.

The Sox aren't better on paper than the Guardians or the Twins, so I am not sure that changing the Manager will alter that equation.

Easy fixes often fail.

On paper, they absolutely are. On the field... 

18 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Stone being a source for this is a way for it to get to Nightengale that I hadn’t previously considered.

300iq! Based on the interview, stone also said they live very close to each other (I think he meant his Arizona home) and they get dinner together on occasion. 

54 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Clubhouses do have cliques, but not all of them are toxic or hurt the team's performance on the field. 

It makes sense since players come from other languages and cultures.

I think this may be manufactured news so the Sox still get some attention because most talk will be about the NFL. Also making excuses for Tony.

Edited by kitekrazy

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Stone has never known when to shut up. It's what got him out of the Cubs organization.

He can be a dbag, but i give him credit for that. He can't keep quite when he sees gross mismanagement of a team. 

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Harrison is one of the few players who really seems to care about winning.

Maybe they're saying his actions and play don't match.

Pollock has never seemed to be a good fit.  At best his body language this year has mostly been indifferent.

And who does Pollock usually hang out with in the dugout? Vaughn? Sheets?

Sheer speculation based on body language, but Pollock strikes me as the new guy looking for a lunch table to sit at and not having any welcoming offers.  If there is a divided clubhouse, at this point in his career with a new kid, I'm sure he just wants to stay out of it and keep to himself. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

And his name rhymes with "Rick Hahn" or "Steve Stone".

I will lay you very high odds that the leaks of “the White Sox might hire LaRussa, the White Sox are hiring LaRussa, and DUI isn’t important for a great man like LaRussa” came from someone whose name rhymes with Rerry Jeinsdorf. I don’t know about this one as that same path makes sense but believing this wouldn’t hit TLR more than anyone else requires an impressive level of foolishness.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

It was really, really obvious that the Sox front office had a modern baseball mind in mind when Rick Hahn got up on Zoom and talked about his ideal manager to replace RR.  They spent all of those years suffering through shitty baseball after stripping this to the studs and rebuilding.  The last thing Rick and Kenny want to see is this ruined by a mismatch of manager and players.  Maybe they lost the behind the scenes fight with Jerry, but now they are trying to win the battle of public opinion.

Are they testing JR's loyalty, because I don't think they will win that battle.  Not saying you're wrong, just looking for their angle.  JR would certainly know the leak came from the FO.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Easy fixes often fail.

Dude, the Sox are WAY better on paper than both of those teams. Way better.

There was a reason they were universally considered to run away with this division. Hell, even when they were multiple games back they were still the betting favorites to win the division.

• Thanks 1