Nightengale: Sox have clubhouse issues

chw42

43 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

If there were a player development role on the bench that would suit him perfectly.  He’s just terrible at the game day managing part.  Not someone you want at the helm after a rebuilding squad takes the next step. 

I think therein lies one of my main issues.

The team in 2020 exceeded expectations. It was supposed to be the last year of the "rebuild." Instead, the team was thrust into contention (yay), and the organization shifted its focus from player development to "win now."

Well, player development was far from complete for a lot of guys. Instead of having dugout leadership that emphasized the development process like RR, we got TLR, whose idea of "development" is to bench you in favor of Leury.

Yes, these guys are professionals, etc., but the guys I'm talking about (Moncada, Robert, Eloy, Vaughn, Burger, Sheets) are still kids who need guidance and development. Shifting the focus away from player development to "win or die trying as long as you don't have to run too hard; also, Leury's playing today" has been to the detriment of those guys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

If he quit after the owner took away his power to hire a coach, I would bet you he is a GM elsewhere by now with a comparable salary. Now I bet he is a sacrificial lamb this offseason so that LaRussa can be kept, and he never works as a GM again.

Of course that would require another organization believe that to be true as well as all of the shitty moves he has oversaw to be the fault of Jerry's pocketbook and La Russa's help

9 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Of course that would require another organization believe that to be true as well as all of the shitty moves he has oversaw to be the fault of Jerry's pocketbook and La Russa's help

That's exactly why he should have quit in 2020. Everyone would have understood it, he rebuilt the roster the way he wanted it, it had just made the playoffs and was on the way up, he was ready to go conduct a legitimate coaching search, the owner completely undercut him and took away power that he should have had, completely and utterly embarrassed him, personally and professionally. He leaves right there, takes a year off, and he very likely gets whatever GM job he wants the next year other than teams that hired internally, he could easily be running the Phillies or Mets right now and for the next 5+ years. Oh, and he also has his dignity in tact.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That's exactly why he should have quit in 2020. Everyone would have understood it, he rebuilt the roster the way he wanted it, it had just made the playoffs and was on the way up, he was ready to go conduct a legitimate coaching search, the owner completely undercut him and took away power that he should have had, completely and utterly embarrassed him, personally and professionally. He leaves right there, takes a year off, and he very likely gets whatever GM job he wants the next year other than teams that hired internally, he could easily be running the Phillies or Mets right now and for the next 5+ years. Oh, and he also has his dignity in tact.

The great unanswered question is whether Hahn and possibly others threatening to quit over the hiring of TLR might have prevented it. Would JR have valued "making things right" with TLR over the public embarrassment of a revolt by upper management?

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tray was the one guy on this site who unironically liked Greg’s suggestion to move TA to catcher, I am now convinced

You are a liar and I am convinced that may go beyond your posts at this site. Just stop.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Tony said:

How petty and small do you have to be to tattle to Bob about your old team out of nowhere?  Especially since you are no longer there because you yourself were awful and gave them no choice but to pay you to go away?  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t think our guys liked Dallas all that much when he was on the team

Seemed pretty clear early on, didn't it?  Also curious what he said about TLR, and whether Bob omitted those bits in his article.

15 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

How petty and small do you have to be to tattle to Bob about your old team out of nowhere?  Especially since you are no longer there because you yourself were awful and gave them no choice but to pay you to go away?  

First of all, Dallas Keuchel is hypocritical scum

Second of all, Dallas has tossed his teammates, coaches, and managers under the bus since he arrived at Spring Training in 2020.

He has pitched like absolute horseshit outside of a couple of weeks in 2020, sucked so bad the Sox paid him millions to GTFO, and he continues to suck with his 10 ERA in Arizona. He is the worst form of clubhouse cancer, the player who sucks ass, is way overpaid, and does nothing but b**** and suck his entire time here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I'm pretty sure Bob went searching for a story.

And Keuchel is always there to give him good sound bites. Remember when Keuchel told Garfien that Donaldson got traded cause he didn't get along with the Twins' latino players? Garfien wasn't even fishing for that and Keuchel just brought it up out of the blue. 

• TLR 1