7/11- White Sox at Guardians, 6:10

flavum

50 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If that's the case, why would they even offer him one? 

Anyway, I hope people put the non-tender Giolito thing in proper context because we were talking about bad money and how to cut payroll. It is an outside possibility because there is just so much bad money on the books. There aren't a lot of options. 

I think very good players in the prime of their careers are guys the Sox should be building around, not trading away. If the Sox can get him for a discount because this season hasn't gone as expected for him, all the better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Would like to see how many of those runs were given up by the bullpen as inherited runners.

It's as if we forget how bad our bullpen is.

Pick your poison.  Try to squeeze the last drop from the SP or just hand it over to the gas can bullpen?

Edited by HOFHurt35

23 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

My question is how does that compare to the rest of the league.  It seems like it’s a horrific number, but in a vacuum it doesn’t tell you much.  If I were guessing I’d say it is at or near the bottom.  However, I don’t know that.

• Like 1

I don’t know either, just astounded by those numbers.  The pen sucks, but I’m going to guess a fresh arm probably has a better probability of getting outs than a gassed starter who has been through the order a few times. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering how many relievers have been injured and/or sucked, sticking too long with staters isn't a big surprise. 

Yep and sometimes the starters are the problem.  Since last year this team is notorious for surrendering leads after the 7th.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I don’t know either, just astounded by those numbers.  The pen sucks, but I’m going to guess a fresh arm probably has a better probability of getting outs than a gassed starter who has been through the order a few times. 

I guess it depends on who you put in. 

3rd time through the order, Sox SP's have a 5.88 ERA. Sox relievers have a 4.18 ERA. I'm not saying to blindly follow the numbers, but they will tell you you're almost always better off going to a "bad" reliever over a tired starter. Of course TLR is the last manager in baseball to realize this.

Edited by maxjusttyped
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Would like to see how many of those runs were given up by the bullpen as inherited runners.

It's as if we forget how bad our bullpen is.

Pick your poison.  Try to squeeze the last drop from the SP or just hand it over to the gas can bullpen?

The bullpen is bad yes, but it seems like TLR doesn’t even get them up and going until at least 2 are on base in the final inning the starter is already gassed on. This requires the gas can bullpen to pitch under more pressure with less wiggle room. Is everything perfect if they come in for a clean inning, probably not but it sure could help that statistic out more than likely.

28 minutes ago, JTB said:

My question is how does that compare to the rest of the league.  It seems like it’s a horrific number, but in a vacuum it doesn’t tell you much.  If I were guessing I’d say it is at or near the bottom.  However, I don’t know that.

Don't quote me on this being accurate. That's pretty wild though. All hail Ricky Renteria!

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Don't quote me on this being accurate. That's pretty wild though. All hail Ricky Renteria!

He already said it wasn’t real in the comments but I’d take any one’s decision making over TLR at the moment, regardless of who it is

2 hours ago, JTB said:

This link includes all inherited runners in scoring position (including relievers replaced by another reliever). The Sox are 13th this season, and improvement from 19th last season.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runners-left-in-scoring-position-per-game

• Thanks 1