Minor Leaguers raise issues with Whitesox application of new housing policy

Vote4Pedro

DCPapcaXkAAyjuq.jpg

"We tried to buy some tents from Walmart and give them a portable bbq and a cooler.  These primadonnas bitched that they wanted a roof that was part of a structure.  Then they b**** about the extended stay.  How much of my money do they want me to spend"

They were upset with the nutritionist we hired. 

hamburglar-2

Edited by southsideirish71
  • Like 1
  • TLR 4

And we wonder why 1) The Sox always seem to have trouble developing player through their minor league system and 2) why no big name free agents will ever sign here.

I'm not saying this is the sole reason or even a big reason but this is just a small part of how the organization is run. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know we are going to blame JR but KW and Hahn are evp/vp of baseball operations. They should be the ones putting these expenses in context and prioritizing them.

But I'm sure in 2027 we'll hear of a development they finally get done and we will be told what ever front office official is in charge should be given credit for modernizing our minor league facilities.

Constantly modernizing every backwards operation Hahn oversees is a very big deal. There are people currently overseeing projects that will get the white sox to where other teams were a decade ago.

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I wonder if this lineups up with Colas being seemingly unhappy with the Sox a week or so ago? And his promotion…even tho he obviously deserved it via his play 

I wonder if players like him who got big signing bonuses just pay for their own housing in the minors. 

8 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

And we wonder why 1) The Sox always seem to have trouble developing player through their minor league system and 2) why no big name free agents will ever sign here.

I'm not saying this is the sole reason or even a big reason but this is just a small part of how the organization is run. 

I don't see how this is even related?  I'm going to play bad baseball because of IKEA furniture?  Minor league players use to be housed with people willing to take them.

I can't read the article but the Reinsdorf is cheap bias never ends.  What is slowly happening in sports is the desire to pamper athletes who are yet making it to the big time.  Check other professions in the entertainment industry.  I guess it would be called paying their dues.   Oh like an extended stay is going to use high end furniture?

It is amazing the overhead of owning a MLB club and for a sport that is 3rd in popularity.       

Just now, bmags said:

Players didn't used to work out in the offseason, now they are saying they want a gym?

They have a nice one a the Ranch.

Interesting theory about injuries is they are training for the wrong sport.   The legends thought it was taboo to ever do weight training.

Some of those legends use to work jobs in the offseason like farming so I'm sure they got a workout.

Our culture seems want to live with now instead of the what if.

Met this kid when at the age of 13 he was a pro motocross biker an one of the best.  His last race at that time he place 2nd and I asked what his winnings were and he said $100K. I asked him what he does with his money. He said he saves it.  That would be so not me.

When Viciedo was in the system he bought a sports car and had it transported to spring training.

28 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I don't see how this is even related?  I'm going to play bad baseball because of IKEA furniture?  Minor league players use to be housed with people willing to take them.

I can't read the article but the Reinsdorf is cheap bias never ends.  What is slowly happening in sports is the desire to pamper athletes who are yet making it to the big time.  Check other professions in the entertainment industry.  I guess it would be called paying their dues.   Oh like an extended stay is going to use high end furniture?

It is amazing the overhead of owning a MLB club and for a sport that is 3rd in popularity.       

I'm just saying it seems indicative of how the system is run and it's a bad look for an organization that has been historically known to be run by an owner that's doesn't like to spend money.

From the article:

“Roughly half of major league teams are providing players at all levels, all minor league affiliates, with their own bedrooms in an apartment,” said Harry Marino of Advocates for Minor Leaguers, a non-profit that pushes for improved conditions for minor league players. “Most of the teams that are not doing that at all levels are at least doing it at Double-A and above. The White Sox are at the bottom of the league when it comes to that issue. Obviously, there are significant issues that come with forcing players to share bedrooms. One of them is that players with significant others and spouses who want to live with them during the season cannot comfortably do so when they’re asked to share a bedroom with a teammate.”

The construction delays refer to Class-A Kannapolis, where players are expected to move into apartments this month that are within walking distance of their home stadium. In the meantime, they spent the first half of the season at an extended stay hotel that players complained had dirty rooms and lacked food preparation supplies, which led to reliance on fast food.

“I’ve never seen more athletes eating McDonald’s,” one player said.

Some of these situations can be expected to improve, and the White Sox expressed an interest in responding when contacted by The Athletic. The players who spoke to The Athletic made the point that they speak with friends in other organizations, with teams like the Dodgers and Yankees, with better accommodations and more comfortable environment, and these conversations could prove meaningful when minor league free agents and undrafted free agents are making decisions. They argue that this shouldn’t be a fight to stay in line with minimum requirements, but a new plane on which to compete with 29 other teams.

Edited by Iwritecode
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I like to think that the standard for minor league living conditions can and should improve over time. Is that pampering?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Read "Bullpen Gospels" and "Out of my League" by Dirk Hayhurst.

tl;dr summary: minor league living conditions are atrocious.

All that aside, athletic performance and development are significantly hindered if you're living in conditions of poverty. Why not invest the extra $500K a year to put the minor leaguers in better housing and give them better food / amenities during the season? The equivalent of 1/10 of Leury's salary (0.1 Leurys - it's a new Sox currency conversion unit) could be a damn good investment for the future.

Edited by JoeC
Formalizing "Leurys" as a unit of currency measurement

These baseball owners make so much damn money. It's absolutely mind boggling to me that they treat their minor leaguers like such shit. We all know how they lobbied congress so they can pay them below minimum wage. What a joke. 

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Your brain is broken; needs recalibration. 

Pamper = expecting billion dollar business to pay a livable wage and providing reasonable housing for temporarily located players?

This is quite the take.

Nice - considering the source.  Going to have to put people like this on ignore.  Classless, insult users.

Edited by kitekrazy

Just now, kitekrazy said:

I'm done here as you can see why.

OK.

Was just genuinely curious as to your thoughts here (as well as the information and/or assumptions behind your thoughts) since they are so incredibly opposed to what I've seen / read / heard.