Eloy is dead. Again.

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes very frustrating when you take into consideration what was expected coming out of the rebuild .When you've been around the White Sox for as many years as we have  you should know by now that the organization's top priority isn't winning. It's just do enough to keep money rolling in and turn a profit.

Everything else is just a reflection of that. They will never spend top money for behind the scenes people whose decisions lead to a better on field product. Jerry doesn't fire Hahn because Jerry know his GM is just too limited because of the restraints ownership puts on him.

Hahn is working with bottom of the barrel organizational people and what he does as a GM is directly tied to the poor information he receives from them. He doesn't scout the players he trades for. He doesn't make all these terrible decisions in a vacuum. He just processes information and more than likely not the best information. Then his assitant GM Kenny, Getz and finally Jerry puts there stamp of denial or approval on things.

I'll bust the organizations balls way more than I do the players. If they suck because their bodies can't handle the grind well , so be it. It won't be the 1st time extremely talented players careers have been ruined by injuries.

If they have bad attitudes wouldn't you playing for TLR and knowing all the failures throughout the whole organization ? Yes the players are well compensated but they are human too and if we perceive the organizational rot then so do they. State of mind is a big part of success and failure and this organization breeds failure.

When Hahn was an assistant he was one of the highest paid because other organizations wanted him.

6 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

These kind of posts about athletes are so unfair. As an older adult you should know that projecting  what you perceive an athletes personality to be without truly knowing him  is "stupid and lazy". It requires no compassion, no understanding and no willingness to do anything except express bitterness over your disappointment with their underachievement.

We all do it from time to time. Moncada gets it a lot with the whole he doesn't care and he's got no passion for the game stuff. I'm guilty of it myself.

I know this isn't a real diehard sports message board without meatball fans takes and hostility but it's much better to just take a deep breathe and say he's just an athlete in a long line of athletes I've watched my whole life who I don't know anything about except they play for my favorite team.

Athletes have this habit of wanting to compete.   Life has to be dull on the IL.  I think Liam decide to be a political analyst on his stint.   Fans are also into the "Strasburg Syndrome". If a pitcher isn't doing well shut them down.  I don't think any athlete wants to stop when they suck.

I do question the toughness of some athletes not playing hurt.  I still remember watching the Sox against a very good Tigers team with Miggy limping around playing 3rd. 

23 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

When Hahn was an assistant he was one of the highest paid because other organizations wanted him.

Well Ivy League GM's were "en voque" so that's not surprising and the Kellogg MBA sure didn't hurt . But I'm not sure of your point. He didn't have G.M. experience and that has reared it's ugly head during his tenure. I realize he might be working with one hand tied behind his back so to speak, but he hasn't made good use of the one free hand either. You can still pick up a ball with one hand but he's dropped the ball too much for most of our liking.

When dealing with other GM's perhaps you need quite a bit of the old fashioned horse trader mentality.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You would need a media with a spine for that.

It's not the media as none of them have the knowledge to ask appropriate questions for most medical conditions. It's the team itself. I've known a few physicians that were bad that were professional team physicians.

After Grandal had his issues after this surgery, it's should have been evaluated for efficacy regardless of the team physician recommendation.

• Like 2

• Heads22 changed the title to Eloy is dead. Again. Wait, maybe not.
22 hours ago, hankchifan said:

What does reasonable mean?  Reasonable for Eloy’s fragile standards? Sounds to me that TLR meant that it was not a major injury…

Reasonable considering the surgery and short rehab it's where it should be.

Not great but where it should be.

Edited by ptatc

2 hours ago, KipWellsFan said:

I think the key question now is, do we think Eloy on the whole can outplay AJ Pollock and Gavin Sheets for the rest of the season? I'm not sure...

Talent wise I don't think there is a question.  However the most important ability is availability and they both may have an advantage over Jimenez.

I really don't know how a guy in his young 20s can have such terrible athletic coordination and tight muscles. I get a quick twitch guy like TA or Robert having some issues because of the forces they are putting on their body but Eloy? GMAFB. Get on a fucking yoga and band work program dude. Also diet and training table changes. Is he dehydrated?

We talked about the assets in the minor leagues getting the best of the best -- well let's have our MLB players, especially the young guys that haven't found out what works for them yet, on a team regimented diet and training program that actually works.

24 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I really don't know how a guy in his young 20s can have such terrible athletic coordination and tight muscles. I get a quick twitch guy like TA or Robert having some issues because of the forces they are putting on their body but Eloy? GMAFB. Get on a fucking yoga and band work program dude. Also diet and training table changes. Is he dehydrated?

We talked about the assets in the minor leagues getting the best of the best -- well let's have our MLB players, especially the young guys that haven't found out what works for them yet, on a team regimented diet and training program that actually works.

Without question Eloy is not in the best possible shape he could be in. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him in no uncertain terms that if he can't stay on the field he is going to be out of the league. Maybe they already have. Whatever the case he really needs to become serious about his conditioning. I still think he could be a special hitter. When he makes any kind of contact the ball jumps off his bat. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't think Eloy is excessively overweight or out of condition. He is 6'4" tall and as strong as a bull.  He doesn't have a gut like Kirk or Naylor or heavy torso/legs like Vaughn or Burger. This kid has been slammed on this forum for everything he has done.  Yes, some criticism is justified and can be useful, but a lot of it is just garbage.   I suspect Eloy's  surgery left him with a hamstring that is still somewhat compromised...at least for athletic purposes. It looks to me like Eloy needs daily physical therapy  on that hamstring until he can run without fear that it pops or tears again. Until then, he probably should not be in the line-up.

• Hawk 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not giving up on Eloy. The talent is there for an easy 40 HR guy. Somehow he has to figure out how to remain healthy and he will be the position player version of Rodon.

I agree, and he is probably the only guy, in the organization, with the exception of Robert, who has that potential. He has demonstrated that he can also hit for a decent average.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Don't he dare what? If he's healthy, play him.

Well, yeah, but that sure feels like a big if. "Reasonable" and "nothing drastic" paired with Eloy's series of setbacks doesn't exactly make me want to hurry him back in there, especially right before the break.

14 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Well, yeah, but that sure feels like a big if. "Reasonable" and "nothing drastic" paired with Eloy's series of setbacks doesn't exactly make me want to hurry him back in there, especially right before the break.

Who Cares at this point? He's had enough days off and a massive injury risk whether he's fully healthy or banged up. May as well maximize his playing time at this point.