7/15 Sox @ Twinkies 7:10PM Can we get to .500????

Vote4Pedro

Kopech is gonna have to start using that changeup about 15% of the time until he gets the velo back.   And even then it should stay around that mark.  The changeup is going to be the key to his development and ability to stay at the top of the rotation going forward.  He should have never been forced to abandoned it last season.  

• bmags pinned this topic
17 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Kopech is gonna have to start using that changeup about 15% of the time until he gets the velo back.  

Well that would require him being healthy. I highly doubt his knee is 100%

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Well that would require him being healthy. I highly doubt his knee is 100%

Id imagine if the Sox do it right they have him as the last starter out of the break which could give his knee enough time off to heal and get closer to 100%

Kopech seems like he is going through a dead-arm period (or maybe it is still because of his knee, idk), which makes sense considering he has already thrown more innings this year (78) than the last two years combined (69 in 2021, 0 in 2020).

If we want him around (and pitching well) for the playoffs he will need to take a break soon. After the all-star break we open the second half with a four game series (with a DH) vs Cleveland. After that, there is a month and a half stretch until September 2nd where we only have three games against the Guardians and none against the Twins, vs 3 against Cleveland and 9 (!) against the Twins from September 2nd through the end of the season.

I think Kopech should pitch today on a short leash, then pitch on long rest (7-10 days) in one of those four games against Cleveland. Then they should IL him with arm fatigue until one of the September 2nd-4th games against the Twins and let him finish out the season. That would probably leave him at about 110-120 IP entering (hopefully) the post-season. 

Edited by gusguyman

Just now, poppysox said:

Yep!

Not really. While they’re highly Unlikely to actually sweep the Twins, 2 games over .500 at the ASB is still wildly disappointing compared to what this team should and was expected to do. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Kopech vs Smeltzer…..LFG!! Get to the .500 mark!

The Sox will probably win 2 out of the next 3, get to .500 with a nice road trip but lose all their mojo because of the break.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

Looking to see if Kopech can get to around 7-12 changeups in the game tonight bc I think it could really help him.  This is definitely going to be a tough matchup for him without the big fastball so hopefully he has his control and can locate his pitches well. I'm afraid if he starts to struggle early that he will become too focused on the fastball or slider and the Twins will just sit on whichever one they want to hit.   

Bring the swag to the mound with ya tonight Kopech 

gif.gif