Will the Sox ever outdraw the Cubs again?

caulfield12

15 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I totally agree with this. The Sox should definitely go in together with the Bears at Arlington Heights. It works in Kansas City with the Royals in Kauffman Stadium and the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium, where both stadiums sit across the same parking lot from each other at the Truman Sports Complex. 

In Philadelphia, the Football stadium, baseketball and football arena, and baseball field are all in one complex. I just don't the the Sox fanbase is in Arlington Heights. Their attendance might drop.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

In Philadelphia, the Football stadium, baseketball and football arena, and baseball field are all in one complex. I just don't the the Sox fanbase is in Arlington Heights. Their attendance might drop.

I don’t think they can fit everything in that lot even if the Sox were indicating they wanted to.  They talked about a possible minor league stadium there but that’s such a smaller commitment.   It’s a lot of property but I don’t think it is that much property 

45 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I don’t think they can fit everything in that lot even if the Sox were indicating they wanted to.  They talked about a possible minor league stadium there but that’s such a smaller commitment.   It’s a lot of property but I don’t think it is that much property 

It's pretty big. I read where Soldier Field could fit in the infield of the racetrack.

Edited by Dick Allen

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I totally agree with this. The Sox should definitely go in together with the Bears at Arlington Heights. It works in Kansas City with the Royals in Kauffman Stadium and the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium, where both stadiums sit across the same parking lot from each other at the Truman Sports Complex. 

In the mid 1980s the City of Chicago wanted to build a stadium in the South Loop (Roosevelt and Clark, now known as block 78).  there was talk of a football stadium next to it for the Bears. The Bears held a press conference and said they wouldn't go in together with the White Sox, The Bears historical roots were with the Cubs.  JR and the Bears had bad blood between them. JR stiffed them on some business deal and the Bears didn't like it or JR. Its a shame it didn't workout Two stadiums in the South Loop would have been tremendous. Of course I never believed that JR wanted to go into the South loop. He wanted to go to Addison where he owned the land where the stadium would have been built. I remember a few years ago the White Sox announced they were leaving there spring training facility in Sarasota Florida and moving it to  Tucson Arizona.  Just so happened that JR owned the land in  Tucson where the stadium was built.

Edited by WBWSF

46 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

In the mid 1980s the City of Chicago wanted to build a stadium in the South Loop (Roosevelt and Clark, now known as block 78).  tTere was talk of a football stadium next to it for the Bears. The Bears held a press conference and said they wouldn't go in together with the White Sox, The Bears historical roots were with the Cubs.  JR and the Bears had bad blood between them. JR stiffed them on some business deal and the Bears didn't like it or JR. Its a shame it didn't workout Two stadiums in the South Loop would have been tremendous. Of course I never believed that JR wanted to go into the South loop. He wanted to go to Addison where he owned the land where the stadium would have been built. I remember a few years ago the White Sox announced they were leaving there spring training facility in Sarasota Florida and moving it to  Tucson Arizona.  Just so happened that JR owned the land in  Tucson where the stadium was built.

And slapped all us Sox fans who retired to Florida so they can see their favorite team in Spring Training in Sarasota, another reason I despise JR.

• Hawk 1

8 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

And slapped all us Sox fans who retired to Florida so they can see their favorite team in Spring Training in Sarasota, another reason I despise JR.

Wasn't that back in 1998? Were you retired and in the Sarasota area at that time?

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Wasn't that back in 1998? Were you retired and in the Sarasota area at that time?

We moved to Florida in December of 1993, saw Micheal Jordan in ST in Sarasota.

My last Sox game  in Chicago before the move was the Division clincher in Sept. of 93 though I've been back to Chicago a few times and have seen about 4 games.

We have seen the Sox play the Rays many times at Tropicana Field

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

They made it work for Kansas City and that entire complex is 220 acres. Arlington Park is 326 acres. They could easily do it.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think it would drop at all. They would pick up more fans from the north, northwest and west suburbs. As far as the city and the south sides go, the location has access to so many tollways and expressways. Arlington Park is off of highway 53 which is off of the Northwest tollway, 290 and 355.  Don't forget you have the Metra northwest line that stops right at Arlington Park from downtown. Everyone in the city just needs to get downtown to the Ogilvy station and then straight to the Arlington Park stop. 

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

They made it work for Kansas City and that entire complex is 220 acres. Arlington Park is 326 acres. They could easily do it.

If the White Sox are going to move to the suburbs I would think it would be somewhere in the south/southwest or west suburbs. I live in Oswego and there are alot of White Sox fans out here and in the Naperville area. That being said, i don't think the team will ever move to the suburbs. Keep in mind that 20% of the White Sox fans use public transportation  to get to the games. Most suburbs don't have good transportation systems if any at all. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We moved to Florida in December of 1993, saw Micheal Jordan in ST in Sarasota.

My last Sox game  in Chicago before the move was the Division clincher in Sept. of 93 though I've been back to Chicago a few times and have seen about 4 games.

We have seen the Sox play the Rays many times at Tropicana Field

Do you think the Rays will get a new stadium? I read where the Rays ownership is willing to pay for half  of the stadium. Since then, I haven't heard anything about it.

16 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Do you think the Rays will get a new stadium? I read where the Rays ownership is willing to pay for half  of the stadium. Since then, I haven't heard anything about it.

I think they will get a new stadium, though it's harder to get to for us than St. Pete, the new stadium should be built either in the Channelside District near Amalie Arena or Ybor City.

There was an article in the paper last week about a new stadium in the current parking lot of the Trop, big mistake, most of the population is in Tampa and suburbs to the north, east and west of Tampa, St. Pete is more of a snowbird town and is a ghost town in the summer.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

If you build it they will come. Build a world class facility and surround it with dinning, drinking, entertainment, shopping, and lodging and the Sox could outdraw the Cubs. The northwest burbs are densely populated and fairly affluent. That's a good basis for a season ticket fan base. You could do it somewhere else, but the Bears have enough land for 4 stadiums, so jump on the bandwagon out of town and make a deal.

Edited by mac9001

18 hours ago, WBWSF said:

If the White Sox are going to move to the suburbs I would think it would be somewhere in the south/southwest or west suburbs. I live in Oswego and there are alot of White Sox fans out here and in the Naperville area. That being said, i don't think the team will ever move to the suburbs. Keep in mind that 20% of the White Sox fans use public transportation  to get to the games. Most suburbs don't have good transportation systems if any at all. 

The Metra northwest line train literally stops right at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights that comes from the downtown Chicago Ogilvy station. All types of public transportation feed into downtown Chicago. In fact, that is one of the many reasons the Chicago Bears loved the purchase of Arlington Park,, besides the easy access to all major expressways and tollways. 

However you are missing the point of this thread. The only good reason to go to Arlington Park with the Bears, if the Bears would even agree to it, is to share in the astronomical costs of building the stadiums and parking lots. This why other cities in the country have done this and combined parking lots around two separate stadiums right next to each other. 

32 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

The Metra northwest line train literally stops right at Arlington Park in Arlington Heights that comes from the downtown Chicago Ogilvy station. All types of public transportation feed into downtown Chicago. In fact, that is one of the many reasons the Chicago Bears loved the purchase of Arlington Park,, besides the easy access to all major expressways and tollways. 

However you are missing the point of this thread. The only good reason to go to Arlington Park with the Bears, if the Bears would even agree to it, is to share in the astronomical costs of building the stadiums and parking lots. This why other cities in the country have done this and combined parking lots around two separate stadiums right next to each other. 

You're overlooking one thing, JR and the Bears ownership don't get along.

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

You're overlooking one thing, JR and the Bears ownership don't get along.

That has nothing to do with the discussion, and JR will not factor into that convo unless he lives past 100 and is still making decisions for the team

21 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Why don't they get along? Both are trying very hard to make the other not look like the most incompetent owners in town.

JR tried buying some of the Bears ownership in the early 1980s when it was up for sale. The Bears ownership had to overpay to keep the ownership in the family. They held a press conference when there was talk of 2 stadiums in the South Loop and Mccaskey said he wouldn't go in with the White Sox, only the Cubs.