White Sox MVP at the ASB

Chimpton

Simple really, who is your best hitter and best pitcher so far for the White Sox, and who is the MVP overall?

• Hitter: Andrew Vaughn the way he is performing in the last 10 days and pretty much all season is very impressive and remember he is still only 24, and to think some people were in favour of trading him in the close season. An honourable mention has to go to Jose Abreu who after a typically slow start is once again producing, if it is his last season as a WS player then it looks like a good one.
  • Pitcher: Dylan Cease, how he is not at the all star game I don't know but he has become the star pitcher in this line up. Again an honourable mention for Cueto for his steady performances when not many expected much from him
  • MVP for me is Cease simply for the way he is leading the rotation now and producing pretty much every game.

• Like 2

My Selections:

• Position Player: Jose Abreu Consistent, underappreciated, plays and never complains.
  • Starting Pitcher: Dylan Cease Just kicking ass this season, a consistent starter. Would be a great thread to quote trade suggestions of Dylan the past few seasons.
  • Relief Pitcher: Reynaldo Lopez Hendriks and Graveman may have slightly better bWAR, but the Sox are paying them hansomly. Reynaldo really turned things around this season and deserves to be recognized for his contributions.
  • Comeback Player of the Year: Johnny Cueto Very easy decision, picked off the scrap heap on Opening Day and has given the Sox very solid starts to keep them alive into the second half.
  • MVP: Jose Abreu 90 Games, always answers the bell. Would be several games under without him. Suck it Ron.

Tony's Selections:

• Position Player: Leury Garcia Very clutch, can play him everywhere. We should have given him a bigger contract.
  • Starting Pitcher: Lance Lynn Big time competitor, the guy I pencil in when we face a must win game.
  • Relief Pitcher: Joe Kelly You guys are really going to love this guy.
  • Staff MVP: Shelley Duncan Helps us compete everyday. Defensive alignments, optimal lineups, strategic in-game decisions. You name it, Shelley has his fingers on it. We wouldn't be where we are today without his unsung efforts.
  • Player MVP: Leury Garcia Really a no-brainer here. I'm really upset he is not going to Los Angeles to represent the American League.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

My Selections:

• Position Player: Jose Abreu Consistent, underappreciated, plays and never complains.
  • Starting Pitcher: Dylan Cease Just kicking ass this season, a consistent starter. Would be a great thread to quote trade suggestions of Dylan the past few seasons.
  • Relief Pitcher: Reynaldo Lopez Hendriks and Graveman may have slightly better bWAR, but the Sox are paying them hansomly. Reynaldo really turned things around this season and deserves to be recognized for his contributions.
  • Comeback Player of the Year: Johnny Cueto Very easy decision, picked off the scrap heap on Opening Day and has given the Sox very solid starts to keep them alive into the second half.
  • MVP: Jose Abreu 90 Games, always answers the bell. Would be several games under without him. Suck it Ron.

Tony's Selections:

• Position Player: Leury Garcia Very clutch, can play him everywhere. We should have given him a bigger contract.
  • Starting Pitcher: Lance Lynn Big time competitor, the guy I pencil in when we face a must win game.
  • Relief Pitcher: Joe Kelly You guys are really going to love this guy.
  • Staff MVP: Shelley Duncan Helps us compete everyday. Defensive alignments, optimal lineups, strategic in-game decisions. You name it, Shelley has his fingers on it. We wouldn't be where we are today without his unsung efforts.
  • Player MVP: Leury Garcia Really a no-brainer here. I'm really upset he is not going to Los Angeles to represent the American League.

Thank you for an such a detailed analysis and I understand Abreu being your MVP, just think he was another one who some on here were all to keen to get rid of earlier on this season!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Tim Anderson

the sox are an entirely different team when he is not playing

Mendick was super under-appreciated when he filled in for TA. I think he hit around .300 for the 3 weeks Tim was on the IL. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cease. Abreu has been awesome with the bat last 2 months + but the start was rough and the defense has regressed. 

I figured I would be voting for Anderson or Robert  but shaky defense is not limited to Abreu and really his defense isn't among the best in baseball but it's 1st baseman fine.

For your 1st baseman to have more fWar than your key players in the middle of the diamond like Anderson and Robert tells you that his defense is fine.

He could actually get more fWAR than his career high as a rookie of 5.3.

8 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Simple really, who is your best hitter and best pitcher so far for the White Sox, and who is the MVP overall?

• Hitter: Andrew Vaughn the way he is performing in the last 10 days and pretty much all season is very impressive and remember he is still only 24, and to think some people were in favour of trading him in the close season. An honourable mention has to go to Jose Abreu who after a typically slow start is once again producing, if it is his last season as a WS player then it looks like a good one.
  • Pitcher: Dylan Cease, how he is not at the all star game I don't know but he has become the star pitcher in this line up. Again an honourable mention for Cueto for his steady performances when not many expected much from him
  • MVP for me is Cease simply for the way he is leading the rotation now and producing pretty much every game.

your list would be my list down to your honourable mentions (i'll even honor the brit spelling).

Robert's late surge is the only other consideration I'd give. And i'd also give big thanks to Zevala, Martin, Burger who gave us really good sub production at different points. 

• Love 1

Cease and Vaughn. Don't think people realize how tough mentally Vaughn has had to deal with changing defensive positions, being in and out of the lineup, batting 2nd-7th AND consistently hitting. As a young player, it's amazing what he's done this season.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Cease and Vaughn. Don't think people realize how tough mentally Vaughn has had to deal with changing defensive positions, being in and out of the lineup, batting 2nd-7th AND consistently hitting. As a young player, it's amazing what he's done this season.

None of that is to take away from what Andrew Vaughn has done in this season and in his short career.  The kid is a beast.  As a top pick in 2019, he could theoretically be still killing in the minors, and it wouldn't be that odd of a timeline.

The good thing is we can have a healthy debate about it. If you want to use fWar as an indicator of overall performance which takes all facets of the game into account, the top three in the position players are Abreu (3.0), Robert (2.2) and TA (2.1)and TA has suffered for the last month and missed games while Robert has been hot for the last month making them fairly equal in fWAR.

If you want to argue that speed is undervalued by fWar ( when you don't hit HR's speed and good base running is vitally important to the Sox) then you can give Anderson and Robert higher scores.

Vaughn's value is in his hitting and that's about it until he can show some value at 1st base (fWar .7).

If you want to just talk about hitting and not MVP, Abreu beats Vaughn in wRC+ 147 to 134. Most Valuable not most admired,. Who brings the most to the team, keeping all facets of the game in mind, and being on the field to use those skills and help the team most often.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

It’s Cease hands down.  The potential was always there but maddening inconsistency always begged the question if he would figure it out.  I certainly had my doubts.  He has put it all together in the first half and it’s a bloody shame he’s not in LA this weekend being given the accolades he deserves.  He’s the ace of the staff going forward as far as I’m concerned. 

Abreu deserves mention for carrying this bum squad the way he does.  Vaughn and Robert also deserve attention, and if the Sox go on a run it will be those three leading the way offensively.  

Gotta give props to Cueto too for being stellar when we really didn’t know what he had left.  Definite stabilizing presence in a shaky at times rotation.  Wish he were 5 years younger and could stick around for a while. 

I think it's gotta be Tony La Russa as the team MVP. I'd say Cease is a close 2nd but he clearly is not a team first player, given his vaccination status. Can't give team MVP to a guy like that.

TLR has the target on his back and is dealing with a multitude of issues such as injuries, overall organization player development incompetence, lack of org. depth, a GM who had one of the worst offseasons for a contending team in recent memory, me-first underperforming players like Keuchel, and MANY more issues.

And after all that, we sit at .500 within striking distance of 1st place. He weathered all of that with a very tough first half schedule and has the boys playing their best ball heading in to the 2nd half. 

Thank God for Tony La Russa. This organization would be a complete dumpster fire without him.

Extend Tony.

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 2

11 minutes ago, KrankinSox said:

I think it's gotta be Tony La Russa as the team MVP. I'd say Cease is a close 2nd but he clearly is not a team first player, given his vaccination status. Can't give team MVP to a guy like that.

TLR has the target on his back and is dealing with a multitude of issues such as injuries, overall organization player development incompetence, lack of org. depth, a GM who had one of the worst offseasons for a contending team in recent memory, me-first underperforming players like Keuchel, and MANY more issues.

And after all that, we sit at .500 within striking distance of 1st place. He weathered all of that with a very tough first half schedule and has the boys playing their best ball heading in to the 2nd half. 

Thank God for Tony La Russa. This organization would be a complete dumpster fire without him.

Extend Tony.

What universe am I in?

9 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

None of that is to take away from what Andrew Vaughn has done in this season and in his short career.  The kid is a beast.  As a top pick in 2019, he could theoretically be still killing in the minors, and it wouldn't be that odd of a timeline.

For anyone that wants to undersell what Vaughn is doing, just take a look at Torkelson's struggles.

There's a reason the Sox haven't been willing to trade AV.