2022 draft Day 2, rounds 3-10

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

sorry for then ignorance here why do the sox only have a little over 6 million to spend? Did they get penalized for something? Why do the rangers have 11 million?

Rangers only have 9.5 mill, but the difference is just due to having higher draft picks than the sox. When the sox were top 3-5 in the draft they had top ten bonus pools. Teams like the padres and cards get bigger bonus pools because they are the fortunate teams with orgs that spend like top 10 payrolls but get treated like poor small market teams that get additional first round picks because the yankees / red sox sign away all their talent (or so the thought goes)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Rangers only have 9.5 mill, but the difference is just due to having higher draft picks than the sox. When the sox were top 3-5 in the draft they had top ten bonus pools. Teams like the padres and cards get bigger bonus pools because they are the fortunate teams with orgs that spend like top 10 payrolls but get treated like poor small market teams that get additional first round picks because the yankees / red sox sign away all their talent (or so the thought goes)

Subsequently, when you see analysis go "the Padres/Cardinals had an amazing draft because they snagged two first round talents!" it's because they had those extra picks.

Just now, Quin said:

Subsequently, when you see analysis go "the Padres/Cardinals had an amazing draft because they snagged two first round talents!" it's because they had those extra picks.

"can't believe this talent keeps falling to the cards"

i.e. cardinals can nab them without destroying rest of draft since they have that budget.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I would like to see the sox try on Trey Dombrowski and see if they can get a velo jump during his progression. 

Seems like Jake Madden feels more sox.

Otherwise, I guess Cameron Smith.

3 hours have gone by and I'm even higher on Dombrowski because he's the only name I actually remembered correctly. Definitely already switched Jake to Joel.

It's been a big weekend for cameron smiths though so maybe we should do it.

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

Are comp balance picks still in the cba past this year? Unreal if so

I don't think it will ever, ever change. I think if you are steve cohen you are more concerned out not being punished with salary limitations and so, sure, who cares about giving an extra first?

But the sox are really the fulcrum of where it sucks a lot for us, the fans. Jerry doesn't give a shit about it, but we are just the side of that ledger where our "superior" payroll doesn't really give us much edge compared to the rest of our division sucking up more cheap talent inputs.

26 minutes ago, quickman said:

sorry for then ignorance here why do the sox only have a little over 6 million to spend? Did they get penalized for something? Why do the rangers have 11 million?

Also you can go over your pool by 5% with just a 75% tax penalty.  Higher than that and you lose future picks so it acts as a hard cap.  James Fox indicates Schultz will sign for under 3 million which is probably slot plus 5%.  Our second rounder, coming off TJ surgery, guessing slotish??  If so we can probably draft and offer closer to slot for awhile assuming we are targeting someone post round ten? or just take them in rounds 3-10.   To further complicate the math in rounds after the tenth, any amount over 125k to a individual player counts against your pool.  

A pick in the top 10 rounds who doesn't sign will have their slot value deducted from the team's pool.

Edited by BamaDoc
added deduction of top ten rounds

24 minutes ago, quickman said:

Also found the discrepancy, the 11 million the rangers would have had but they lost two picks for Semien, Seager. Otherwise they'd have a much bigger haul just by being a top 5 team.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

is the MLB.com broadcast taking place in a hotel lobby?

I seriously can't believe they moved this stuff to the ASB to be a big event, and have day 2 live streaming with the quality of HS gymnastics competition.

• Haha 2