What is status of Luis Robert?

bear_brian

I wonder if he has vestibular neuritis. I suffered from it roughly 6-7 years ago and it took me months to finally feel better. A nasty vertigo attack that last 8 hrs and gave me 35% damage to my right vestibule nerve. I was even misdiagnosed with Meniere’s until a dizzy doctor downtown helped me out. I had to do a bunch of physical therapy to “rewire” how my brain worked so my balance got back to normal. The constant feeling of being dizzy or off was a prominent problem after the attack happened. Really annoying and aggravating until that doctor figured out what was wrong.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:24 AM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I wonder if he has vestibular neuritis. I suffered from it roughly 6-7 years ago and it took me months to finally feel better. A nasty vertigo attack that last 8 hrs and gave me 35% damage to my right vestibule nerve. I was even misdiagnosed with Meniere’s until a dizzy doctor downtown helped me out. I had to do a bunch of physical therapy to “rewire” how my brain worked so my balance got back to normal. The constant feeling of being dizzy or off was a prominent problem after the attack happened. Really annoying and aggravating until that doctor figured out what was wrong.

Good luck with your illness; I hope you're back to normal now.  Vertigo is serious business.  Gotta tell ya, though, I love the nomenclature of your doc.

1 minute ago, oldsox said:

Good luck with your illness; I hope you're back to normal now.  Vertigo is serious business.  Gotta tell ya, though, I love the nomenclature of your doc.

Hahaha, thanks. I'm back to normal as long as I don't go into any pitch black rooms. That doctor was legit awesome.

• Like 1

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere but TLR said that Robert will not come off the IL on Friday.

"He seems like he's improving everyday except he's still getting tested.  The IL date is Friday but he hasn't played much, so first things first.  When he is cleared to really compete and then what's the smart thing to do.  Hope for the best." 

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

man this is shitty. really hope it's nothing serious, forget baseball for a minute, just don't have something seriously impacting his life off the field.

For sure. Guy seems totally fine in the dugout tho. You’d think If he had vertigo or something more serious like that he wouldn’t be in the dugout joking around with his teammates. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

For sure. Guy seems totally fine in the dugout tho. You’d think If he had vertigo or something more serious like that he wouldn’t be in the dugout joking around with his teammates. 

I just hope it's not something like a brain tumor or something up that area that is putting pressure on areas that shouldn't have pressure when he exerts himself. The dizziness and inability to track the baseball at times in the OF clearly seem related imo.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I just hope it's not something like a brain tumor or something up that area that is putting pressure on areas that shouldn't have pressure when he exerts himself. The dizziness and inability to track the baseball at times in the OF clearly seem related imo.

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I assume they did a CT Scan and ruled it out

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'll have to consult Dr's Marcus Welby and Stephen Kiley before making any assumptions.

58 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere but TLR said that Robert will not come off the IL on Friday.

"He seems like he's improving everyday except he's still getting tested.  The IL date is Friday but he hasn't played much, so first things first.  When he is cleared to really compete and then what's the smart thing to do.  Hope for the best." 

This is really, really bad. 

20 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Could be a BPPV benign paraoximal positional vertigo where he only has issues with his head in certain positions. 

The looking up over his shoulder in the OF would do it.

• Thanks 1

Playing golf today a fellow a few years older than me (76) plopped down on 13th hole green, I was marking my ball and heard him going down and thought he was having a heart attack, it was Vertigo but scared the crap out of me and the other 2 guys in our foursome. He was able to finish the round but I can tell he wasn't himself, the poor guy also suffers from Parkinsons Disease, he doesn't have problems with full shots but putting is another story.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is really, really bad. 

I don't know. They have done a lot of testing and imaging I'm sure and have probably ruled out a worst case (life and career altering) scenario. I'd assume they would have announced a press conference if they found something really bad.

It totally could be something like ptatc indicated where it's something they can treat and that is benign other than its effect on him in certain athletic positions.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Could be a BPPV benign paraoximal positional vertigo where he only has issues with his head in certain positions. 

The looking up over his shoulder in the OF would do it.

About five years or so ago, as I was driving home from work, exiting the tollway merging onto a busy street, I quickly looked over my left shpulder to check for traffic as usual when suddenly I got very dizzy.  I turned off the busy street and slowly drove down side streets.  By the time I got home I felt fine.  When I got in the house I bent down to pet my dog and I lost balance and fell to the floor.  I was so dizzy I crawled into bed but after about 15 minutes I was okay again.  After that I would get slightly dizzy every now and then, mostly after I would change positions.  I went to the Doctor and he didn't do any tests, he just said it's probably nothing serious and he prescribed Meclizine.  After taking it for several days I was back to normal.  Never found out the exact cause but the doctor said vertigo is not that uncommon.    I hope whatever it was is what Robert has and it goes away soon.  I'm worried because if it was similar to what I had he should have been fine by now.

47 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't know. They have done a lot of testing and imaging I'm sure and have probably ruled out a worst case (life and career altering) scenario. I'd assume they would have announced a press conference if they found something really bad.

It totally could be something like ptatc indicated where it's something they can treat and that is benign other than its effect on him in certain athletic positions.

It's the White Sox.  They don't tell us anything unless they absolutely have to.  They aren't talking about this at all which leads me to think this is a longer term thing and they don't want it in the press to affect their trade negotiations.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It's the White Sox.  They don't tell us anything unless they absolutely have to.  They aren't talking about this at all which leads me to think this is a longer term thing and they don't want it in the press to affect their trade negotiations.

If this is a longer term thing, Sox are fucked regardless and shouldn't be giving up prospects to patch their way through it. 

We haven't heard much since Hahn spoke about in last Friday, but it sounded he would be back when off the IL or shortly thereafter and this little hard to find nugget from TLR is the only other mention.  Based on that and the fact that Luis is traveling with the team, in the dugout and seems to be in good spirts, I am hopeful this is more of just a "he's still experiencing mild symptoms, but improving, and he needs time to get back into the swing of things before being activated".

Because without Luis Robert the rest of the way, the Sox don't have much of a chance of making the playoffs, and much less chance of success if they actually do get there.  

Edited by ChiSox59

17 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Looks like Hahn is gonna have to trade for a real OFer if this is a lingering issue with Robert. 

Luckily with Harrison playing well, that frees up Leury to become an everyday OFer. </sarc>

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If this is a longer term thing, Sox are fucked regardless and shouldn't be giving up prospects to patch their way through it. 

We haven't heard much since Hahn spoke about in last Friday, but it sounded he would be back when off the IL or shortly thereafter and this little hard to find nugget from TLR is the only other mention.  Based on that and the fact that Luis is traveling with the team, in the dugout and seems to be in good spirts, I am hopeful this is more of just a "he's still experiencing mild symptoms, but improving, and he needs time to get back into the swing of things before being activated".

Because without Luis Robert the rest of the way, the Sox don't have much of a chance of making the playoffs, and much less chance of success if they actually do get there.  

It's been at least two weeks now.  It isn't a little thing anymore.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Looks like Hahn is gonna have to trade for a real OFer if this is a lingering issue with Robert. 

Have to feel they have more info at this stage. If they know Robert isn’t coming back anytime soon, I don’t see them aggressively buying this week, and it makes sense to sell pieces they don’t want in 2023. 

Even flipping two question marks like Pollock for Gallo, or perhaps flipping Kelly if he continues to pitch well this week, would be a huge win.