2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BA updated the top 2023 draft prospect list to account for movement in the fall evaluation period. Top 5 haven't changed. Collazo calls the college class particularly strong with 21 of the top 30 players coming from the college ranks. 11 of the top 15 are position players, with 10 of them being called safe bets to start their careers as up the middle defenders.

1.) Dylan Crews - Louisiana State OF

2.) Chase Dollander - Tennessee RHP

3.) Jacob Gonzalez - Mississippi SS

4.) Max Clark - Franklin (Ind.) Community HS OF

5.) Walker Jenkins - South Brunswick HS, Southport, N.C. OF

6.) Jacob Wilson - Grand Canyon SS

7.) Wyatt Langford - Florida OF

8.) Rhett Lowder - Wake Forest RHP

9.) Enrique Bradfield - Vanderbilt OF

10.) Brayden Taylor - Texas Christian 3B

11.) Paul Skenes - Louisiana State RHP/DH

12.) Kevin McGonigle - Monsignor Bonner HS, Drexel Hill, Penn. SS

13.) Noble Meyer - Jesuit HS, Portland, Ore. RHP

14.) Maui Ahuna - Tennessee SS

15.) Matt Shaw - Maryland SS

Edited by DirtySox

4 minutes ago, CentralChamps21 said:

The Sox can't jump incrementally though, they either jump into the top 6, stay at 15, or possibly even drop if one of the teams at 16-18 gets lucky.

That's understood. I understand how lotteries work. What I was saying is however unlikely, even if they jumped to 6 I'd be thrilled. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

• 3 weeks later...

With the draft order set, we get a BA mock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-mlb-mock-draft-full-first-round-with-draft-lottery-complete-draft-order-set/

15. White Sox — Hurston Waldrep, RHP, Florida

Waldrep struck out 140 batters (eighth among Division I pitchers) in his first year as a full-time starter with Southern Mississippi in 2022. He has incredible natural arm talent and arm speed, with a mid-90s fastball that routinely gets into the upper 90s and a hard slider that flashes plus and generated a 54% whiff rate during the spring. If he shows similar stuff and performance in the SEC after transferring to Florida he could be one of the first college arms selected.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Waldrep performs in the SEC he'll probably go top 10. Dudes got big stuff.  I have the Sox taking Miami 3B Yohandy Morales for no other reason than I know they liked him in HS.

Yohandy Morales
Miami 3B
Notes:
Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 208 | B-T: R-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.8

Morales made it to campus at Miami despite ranking as the No. 77 prospect in the 2020 draft class, thanks to plus power potential and a big arm from the left side. He split time at shortstop and third base for Miami during his 2021 freshman season, where he hit .284/.343/.531 with 11 home runs and 13 doubles. Morales showed all-fields power as a freshman and has shown increased physicality entering his sophomore year in 2022, with a frame now listed at 6-foot-4, 208 pounds. Morales took a big step forward during the 2022 season and almost doubled his walk rate, while slashing .329/.411/.650 with 18 home runs and 17 doubles. He tends to get out in front on secondary pitches and has had trouble identifying breaking balls, but after making Team USA’s roster this summer, he led the team in hitting (.400), though that average did come with an 8-to-0 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He’s a solid defender at third base who can make a highlight reel play, with good athleticism and running ability for his size.

Edited by DirtySox

My favorite guy in the class right now is Jacob Wilson. High contact guy who doesn’t strike out, great OBP guy as he also takes his walks. He can play SS, 3B and LF. He hit 12 homers last year after hitting 4 as a freshman. BA has him has a top ten player but prep guys always rise late into the draft and teams always look to take deals in the top ten, it’s not out of realm of possibility that he falls into the teens.

I like Enrique Bradfield, Hurston Waldrep, Rhett Lowder, and Kevin McGonigle for the Sox.

The Sox could tap into any demographic with this pick but they need to add some more position players into the system after going arm heavy this past draft. They also need to keep adding athletes and up the middle guys into the system, especially with their high picks

Shits and giggles.

1. Pittsburgh Dylan Crews OF LSU
2. Washington Walter Jenkins OF S Brunswick HS
3. Detroit Enrique Bradford OF Vandy
4. Texas Max Clark OF Community HS
5. Minnesota Jacob Gonzalez SS Ole Miss
6. Oakland Wyatt Langford OF Florida
7. Cincinnati Chase Dollinger RHP Tennessee
8. Kansas City Paul Skenes RHP LSU
9. Colorado Jacob Wilson SS Grand Canyon
10. Florida Hurston Waldrep RHP Florida
11. LA Angels Tanner Witt RHP Texas
12. Arizona Brock Wilken 3B Wake Forest
13. Chicago Cubs Kevin McGonigale SS Monsignor HS
14. Boston Brayden Taylor 3B TCU
15. Chicago WS Yohandy Morales 3B Miami
16. San Francisco Arjun Nimmala SS Strawberry Crest HS
17. Baltimore Rhett Lowder RHP Wake Forest
18. Milwaukee Maui Ahuna SS Tennessee
19. Tampa Bay Aiden Miller 3B JW Mitchel HS
20. Toronto Tommy Troy SS Stanford
21. St Louis Thomas White LHP Phillips Academy
22. Seattle Matt Shaw SS Maryland
23. Cleveland Dillon Head OF Homewood Flossmoor
24. Atlanta Kyle Teel C Virginia
25. San Diego Will Sanders RHP South Carolina
26. NY Yankees Jake Gelof 3B Virginia
27. Philadelphia Travis Honeyman OF Boston College
28. Houston Roch Cholowsky SS Hamilton HS

3 hours ago, fathom said:

For love of God, don’t let the Sox take Dillon Head.

Hahaha because of Benetti?  Meh he'll probably be doing national games by the time Head gets to the bigs and they'd be missing out on one heck of a player. I don't think he's gonna go quite that high unless he shows a big power jump in the spring but he's pretty damn good. 

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic