2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Holy hell Wyatt Langford was hit by a pitch and has a ruptured nut.  Why wasn't he wearing a cup and how do you have surgery on that. They say he's going to miss "several weeks."  Yeah no s%*#.  God damn. 

I never understood why some would choose not to protect their nuggets. 

23 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If the Sox finally address the catching position Teel is the best option.  He's undersized but will at least be avg back there because of his excellent athleticism and he can really hit. 

I am intrigued by his writeup. I love me some athletic catchers.

Kyle Teel
Virginia C
Notes:
Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 190 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted
Age At Draft: 21.4

One of the most athletic players in the 2020 draft class, Teel was a standout high school prospect who would have ranked among the top 100 players in the class had he not withdrawn from the draft at the time. After reaching campus at Virginia, Teel split time as an outfielder and catcher in his 2021 freshman season before taking over as the everyday catcher in 2022. He’s hit .305/.409/.481 with 15 home runs in two seasons with the Cavaliers, and also served as Team USA’s catcher during the summer. Listed at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, Teel has solid bat speed from the left side and has shown all-fields power in college, with aggressive swings and plenty of moving parts in his operation. There’s a significant hand hitch in Teel’s load that gives evaluators pause and could create issues with timing and consistently getting on plane, though in general Teel has shown a solid understanding of the strike zone. He’s walked at a 12.6% rate and struck out at a 14.2% rate, and in 2022 walked more frequently than he struck out, and doesn’t expand the zone at a high rate, with solid bat-to-ball skills as well. Teel has a few carrying tools behind the plate between his athleticism and plus arm strength, but he’s been a rough receiver at times and needs to refine the finer details of catching to stick at the position. He’s a great runner for a catcher and solid-average overall in the speed department.

Edited by DirtySox

BA's first mock.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-mlb-mock-draft-version-10/

15. White Sox — Noble Meyer, RHP, Jesuit HS, Portland, Ore. (15)

Drafter: Carlos

Carlos’ Take: It’s always a bit easier taking on the risk of a high school righthander profile when you are not actually taking on the risk. I think Meyer is still the favorite to be the first prep pitcher off the board at this point, and this feels like the range that could happen in this year’s class, given the strength of the college ranks. The White Sox have also attacked the prep ranks more at the top of the draft in recent years after grabbing Colson Montgomery and Noah Schultz in the last two drafts.

Scout's Take: This is the exact pick Mick Abel went in 2020 (to the Phillies) and Meyer probably fits in a similar range even if his resume isn’t quite as long as Abel’s was. Zooming out on their profiles, they’re similar and not just because they are both Oregon arms.

Edited by DirtySox

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If anyone says Dylan Crews isn't the best hitter in the country they're either clueless or trolling for clicks.

I take it you are Crews over Langford then? BA kinda made it sound like they are 1A and 1B at this point. Though I guess that was pre-testicle destruction. Unsure how that impacts stock. (Words I never thought I would type.)

16 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I take it you are Crews over Langford then? BA kinda made it sound like they are 1A and 1B at this point. Though I guess that was pre-testicle destruction. Unsure how that impacts stock. (Words I never thought I would type.)

On BA's podcast last week, they thought Crews > Langford, Skenes > Dollander, but that those were the clear top 4 and that Langford's stock wouldn't be hurt that much. 

3 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Absolutely.  Langford is a really good hitter but Crews is on another level.  

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic