2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, PolishPrince34 said:

Keith Law’s 1st Mock. Would hate the  two players being mentioned here.

15. Chicago White Sox – Noble Meyer, RHP, Jesuit High (Portland, Ore.)

I also think they could be the high team on Florida right-hander Hurston Waldrep, who definitely fits in with some of the college starters they’ve favored over the last 10-plus years. This is just me talking here, but in their situation, with a weak farm system and their best prospect on the shelf, I’d be all over some of the college bats likely to be around here – Troy, Shaw, Bradfield (if he gets here), Colton Ledbetter and so on.

It's like the commentary was done completely independent of the mock pick.

Just looked over some mock drafts that were not behind a paywall. Most of them had the Sox taking Enrique Bradfield. Interestingly, the other 2 mocks that I saw had Bradfield going at #7. 80 grade speed and possibly 75 grade defense in CF?

8 hours ago, wegner said:

Just looked over some mock drafts that were not behind a paywall. Most of them had the Sox taking Enrique Bradfield. Interestingly, the other 2 mocks that I saw had Bradfield going at #7. 80 grade speed and possibly 75 grade defense in CF?

Maybe 40 power and he doesn’t hit the ball hard. I’d hate that pick. He’s not useless but they should have better options 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Maybe 40 power and he doesn’t hit the ball hard. I’d hate that pick. He’s not useless but they should have better options 

Is he one of those "you can't steal 1B" type of guys? 

5 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Absolutely not.

In your opinion, do you:

A. Like Bradfield at #15

B. Think he is a reach at that high

C. Think he won't get to #15

D. Think he's not a good fit for our Sox

15 minutes ago, wegner said:

In your opinion, do you:

A. Like Bradfield at #15

B. Think he is a reach at that high

C. Think he won't get to #15

D. Think he's not a good fit for our Sox

A. I'd be fine with Bradfield at 15.

B. No

C. Yes

D. I think he's a fine fit as a player but his timeline is wrong.  I think they have to draft as young as possible and do a total reset to rebuild the organization from the bottom up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think their strategy will be to take the best player for the most underslot deal.  I don't think a HS pitcher is going to be a fit.  I hope they go HS hitter but would guess it's a college guy.

I’d be all in favor of that. I’m hoping they have a draft like 2021, where they load up on prep hitters. I’d like to see them go underslot at 15 so they can have more money to sign prep guys later in the draft.

Dillon Head, George Lombard, Colin Houck, Aidan Miller. Arjun Nimmala and Rhet Lowder will be long gone by the time they pick. 

12 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

A. I'd be fine with Bradfield at 15.

B. No

C. Yes

D. I think he's a fine fit as a player but his timeline is wrong.  I think they have to draft as young as possible and do a total reset to rebuild the organization from the bottom up. 

True. I’d rather take Dillon Head underslot at 15 than pay slot for Bradfield 

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

True. I’d rather take Dillon Head underslot at 15 than pay slot for Bradfield 

If that's the scenario I'm paying full freight for Bradfield.  Dillon hasn't shown enough with the bat this spring to be in the mix at 1-15. Bradfield has performed for 3 years in the SEC and has legit game changing speed. This is off a potential 1st rounder this year. 

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If that's the scenario I'm paying full freight for Bradfield.  Dillon hasn't shown enough with the bat this spring to be in the mix at 1-15. Bradfield has performed for 3 years in the SEC and has legit game changing speed. This is off a potential 1st rounder this year. 

I get it. Game changing speed just doesn’t do much for me when it comes with max 40 power and low exit velo numbers. Sox just aren’t the org to maximize Bradfield. Now if it’s Chase Davis…

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I get it. Game changing speed just doesn’t do much for me when it comes with max 40 power and low exit velo numbers. Sox just aren’t the org to maximize Bradfield. Now if it’s Chase Davis…

Benintendi is proving to be a very valuable player for the Sox and he’s shown what, 40 power this year? Pro coaching can help develop the bay speed, I’m more concerned about that than his 40 power. 

2 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

Benintendi is proving to be a very valuable player for the Sox and he’s shown what, 40 power this year? Pro coaching can help develop the bay speed, I’m more concerned about that than his 40 power. 

How’s he valuable this year?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

He's shown more like 20 power.  Bradfield will also play a plus CF and be a menace on the bases.  Not the best comp, my guy. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's shown more like 20 power.  Bradfield will also play a plus CF and be a menace on the bases.  Not the best comp, my guy. 

It is a good comp in this discussion because it shows how you can be a valuable and contributing player with not the greatest ability for power. And like you said Bradfield is a better defender and a better base runner 

ESPN
KILEY McDANIELcws.png&h=60&w=60

15.Chicago White Sox

Colin Houck, 3B, Parkview HS (GA)

I'm again hearing a lot of bats here, mostly on the prep side, with catcher Blake Mitchell being another hot name the White Sox have been getting late looks on. Houck should go sometime between pick 10 and here. He gives me Evan Longoria vibes.

Definitely down with this pick. Glad to hear their mostly looking at prep bats.

For those looking for more information on Blake Mitchell as well. From BA. Ranked 25th overall.

Blake Mitchell

Sinton (Texas) HSC/RHP

Notes:

Ht: 6-1 | Wt: 207 | B-T: L-R
Commit/Drafted: Louisiana State
Age At Draft: 18.9

Preseason Report: The top high school catcher in the class, Mitchell is also a talented pitcher who has been into the mid-90s on the mound and was used in a two-way role for Team USA’s 18U gold-winning national team in 2022. For now, most scouts seem more excited about Mitchell’s pro potential as a powerful, lefthanded-hitting backstop. Mitchell is physically mature at 6-foot, 200 pounds, with well-developed lower and upper halves that provide an excellent foundation of strength and power. He has solid rhythm in the batter’s box, and a generally strong understanding of the strike zone, though his pure bat-to-ball skills need work. It’s not surprising for Mitchell to swing-and-miss vs. all pitch types and he’ll need to do a better job making contact in order to tap into his above-average raw power. While his pure hit tool remains a bit raw, he’s a polished and instinctual defender behind the plate. He received well and did a nice job handling the best arms in the class in 2022—including a few high-octane, poor control pitchers with Team USA—with solid agility and flexibility that should allow him to be a consistently strong blocker. His carrying defensive tool is his plus-plus arm strength, which allows him to produce in-game pop times in the 1.8-1.9-second range. He has the sort of arm to keep the running game in check, particularly with improved accuracy and refined footwork. Mitchell projects to be a below-average runner. He’s a first-round talent and committed to Louisiana State.

Edited by DirtySox

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic