2023 MLB Draft thread

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

If Shirley is at the Coral Gables regional Morales to the White Sox is a done deal.

He’s been great. I’m hoping for a prep that might stay up the middle though. I’m done with corners who don’t control the strike zone. 

• Like 2

BA Mock 3.0.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2023-mlb-mock-draft-version-30/

15. White Sox — Yohandy Morales, 3B, Miami

This was the pick in the last mock for the White Sox and I am sticking with it again considering how well he played down the stretch, highlighted by a 4-for-5 game with two home runs against Louisiana-Lafayette in the Coral Gables Regional. He finished the year with a .408/.475/.713 slash line with 20 home runs and 13 doubles. Morales has some swing-and-miss questions, but with huge power, and his overall production with Miami in three years is impressive.

1. Pirates - Dylan Crews

2. Nationals - Paul Skenes

3. Tigers - Wyatt Langford

4. Rangers - Walker Jenkins

5. Twins - Max Clark

6. A's - Rhett Lowder

7. Reds - Kyle Teel

8. Royals - Noble Meyer

9. Rockies - Jacob Wilson

10. Marlins - Jacob Gonzalez

11. Angels - Chase Dollander

12. D-Backs - Colin Houck

13. Cubs - Thomas White

14. Red Sox - Matt Shaw

Edited by DirtySox

Morales doesn't excite me. Curious on the consensus of him sticking at 3B as well.

More into some of the prep bat alternatives with the first pick. Houck/Miller/Emerson intrigue me the most.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Like 1

Here's Bowden on Morales, who he ranks as the 17th best prospect in the draft, keep in mind the Sox have shown 0 ability to improve hitters' chase rates:

However, he does have swing-and-miss in his game, including chasing out of the strike zone, which should improve in professional ball. I’ve seen him struggle against breaking balls enough that I’d want him to take a depth perception test before selecting him this high in the draft. 

18 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I think they're gonna take a college bat which is fine as long as they get him at a sizable underslot deal and it's not Shaw or Troy.

I’d much prefer Shaw or Troy to a definite corner type. I really hope they take a prep bat. I’d rather take Head way underslot than many of the college options 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d much prefer Shaw or Troy to a definite corner type. I really hope they take a prep bat. I’d rather take Head way underslot than many of the college options 

They could draft Head, cut a deal and bad another high school bat or arm who falls due to bonus demands, maybe two. 

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Hahn could overrule him and decide he wants a college pitcher who will move thru the system quickly.  Happens all the time. 

I get that. I’m just not sure that guy exists at 15 in this draft. They can easily do that in rounds 3-20. I like what they accomplished last year 

• Heads22 pinned this topic
  • bmags unpinned this topic