Loidel Chapelli

ron883

Loidel has been making a mockery of DSL. Below are his stats, along with Luis Robert's DSL stats.

Robert (19 years old): 28 games,3 HR, 22 BB, 23 SO, .310, .491, .536 (1.027 OPS)

Chapelli (20 years old): 27 games, 8 HR, 19 BB, 15 SO, .375, .483, .729 (1.212 OPS)

What can we get from these stats exactly? Obvious, he is too old and way too talented to be in the DSL right now. He's putting up even better stats than Robert was. I saw the updated Baseball America top 30 prospects list had him ranked 28 in the system (what a joke). Is this guy being slept on? Those are big time numbers. Maybe we struck gold and found a stud?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ron883 said:

Loidel has been making a mockery of DSL. Below are his stats, along with Luis Robert's DSL stats.

Robert (19 years old): 28 games,3 HR, 22 BB, 23 SO, .310, .491, .536 (1.027 OPS)

Chapelli (20 years old): 27 games, 8 HR, 19 BB, 15 SO, .375, .483, .729 (1.212 OPS)

What can we get from these stats exactly? Obvious, he is too old and way too talented to be in the DSL right now. He's putting up even better stats than Robert was. I saw the updated Baseball America top 30 prospects list had him ranked 28 in the system (what a joke). Is this guy being slept on? Those are big time numbers. Maybe we struck gold and found a stud?

I think given his age, you can’t put much stock into what he’s doing. He’s a top 30 talent, but he needs to be facing age appropriate competition before you can honestly evaluate him fairly. It would be amazing if his power stroke was legit. I’m really looking forward to where he ends up next season. Could be a fun one to watch come up through the system.

Robert was also a sculpted adonis with 70 grade speed at the time, and Chapelli is 5'8. I'm also unclear if DSL has better competition now with the consolidation of the minor league affiliates or if it's worse. 

But I doubt he has seen real velocity yet.

That said, he had a year off and this looks good. Look forward to his next move.

Basically there's no reason not to be excited by what Chapelli is doing. But there's also no reason to care whether he's ranked highly enough either. Game power is always cool, I don't care if he's 2 years older, Grandal didn't go to AA and hit 15 home runs in 4 games. He hit 7 home runs in 3x the games last time he played at 18. Now he's at 8 in 26 or something. If his bat can make contact in higher levels and he is a 10-15 hr guy, that's a very nice 2b prospect.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Basically there's no reason not to be excited by what Chapelli is doing. But there's also no reason to care whether he's ranked highly enough either. Game power is always cool, I don't care if he's 2 years older, Grandal didn't go to AA and hit 15 home runs in 4 games. He hit 7 home runs in 3x the games last time he played at 18. Now he's at 8 in 26 or something. If his bat can make contact in higher levels and he is a 10-15 hr guy, that's a very nice 2b prospect.

It is really, really hard to rank a 23 year old based off of what they do in little league in the DSL.  That stuff will all sort itself next year as he starts to hit more age appropriate competition.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is really, really hard to rank a 23 year old based off of what they do in little league in the DSL.  That stuff will all sort itself next year as he starts to hit more age appropriate competition.

whoa whoa whoa whoa...Chappelli is only 20 dude!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bmags said:

whoa whoa whoa whoa...Chappelli is only 20 dude!

Oh wow, I had 23 in my mind for some reason.  Must be mixing him up with another Cuban.  Even better.  At 20 you roll him out in Kanny to start the season and move him quickly if he stays blown up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

DSL stats are largely worthless, especially for a 20 year old player facing much younger competition. We will not have a good gauge on him until he plays in the states against more advanced pitching.