4 teams called Conforto post-draft

South Side Hit Men

I would think he may end up signing a low-end deal that gets him playing for a team through 2023.  He's going to want a chance to rebuild his value.  He may or may not play in 2022, but he could use 2023 as a show-me season and hope for a payday starting in 2024.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I would think he may end up signing a low-end deal that gets him playing for a team through 2023.  He's going to want a chance to rebuild his value.  He may or may not play in 2022, but he could use 2023 as a show-me season and hope for a payday starting in 2024.

Yeah and use 2022 to at least rehab with a team’s medical staff.

I can’t believe people still trying/ hoping White Sox will get this stiff. All you guys calling for the Sox to go after this guy, just admit you were wrong. But no, you want to be proven correct. 

He’s of no value to the Sox at all. The same guys who complained about the Sox signing vets like VV or Harrison, want Sox to sign this guy in hopes he’ll be good NEXT year so they can say they were right all along for wanting the Sox to sign him before the season started, you know, back when Conforto was hiding his injury.

• Like 2
  • TLR 1

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I can’t believe people still trying/ hoping White Sox will get this stiff. All you guys calling for the Sox to go after this guy, just admit you were wrong. But no, you want to be proven correct. 

He’s of no value to the Sox at all. The same guys who complained about the Sox signing vets like VV or Harrison, want Sox to sign this guy in hopes he’ll be good NEXT year so they can say they were right all along for wanting the Sox to sign him before the season started, you know, back when Conforto was hiding his injury.

Huh? Why would we say we were right? Lol we would have been wrong to sign him to a multi-year deal last off-season. Gambling on basically a one year deal while giving up nothing seems fine for a team that doesn’t have anything to trade or spend for a star RF. Better than playing non-DH’s out there.

12 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Lol, yea, why would the Sox need an elite hitter against RHP? 

18 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Or, and this is really confusing so stick with me here, Sox fans want an elite OF LH bat to balance out this line up.

Hopefully you followed that.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

“Lol, yea, why would the Sox need an elite hitter against RHP? “

He’s batting 0.00 this season and he hit .232 last season. Your idea of “elite” and mine differ somewhat. 

If you go back further than that, you’re talking about back when Keuchel was good too. How relevant is that now.

You go back and look at stats back then, Pollack’s stats for that good run Conforto had, Pollack’s OPS was better. 

“And an actual OF at that. No more DHs playing OF.”

Pollock is an actual outfielder and when Vaughn plays RF; he too is actually an outfielder. 

I said this before: offer every team in baseball, you have a choice of Vaughn or Conforto in right field, but Vaughn can only play RF, who would you rather have? Because of his bat, every team would take Vaughn. Why. Because his bat truly is elite.

3 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

He’s batting 0.00 this season and he hit .232 last season. Your idea of “elite” and mine differ somewhat. 

If you go back further than that, you’re talking about back when Keuchel was good too. How relevant is that now.

You go back and look at stats back then, Pollack’s stats for that good run Conforto had, Pollack’s OPS was better. 

Now that is some circular logic.  We all know he is hurt, and has been hurt this year.  Again, that shouldn't be this confusing.  Let me break this down.

He also plays RF.  Pollock does not/cannot.

Conforto is 28.  Pollock is 34.  Which is more likely to recover back to their career numbers once health is resolved?

Including all stats going back to 2015, Conforto still has a higher OPS, even including his injury filled 2021 where he still put up a 100 OPS +  Pollock this season has put up a 70 OPS+

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Batting average is irrelevant.  He has a career 135 wRC+ against RHP.  That means he is 35% better against RHP than an average MLBer.  Even in his down 2021, he had 119 wRC+, which would be good for the 3rd best hitter on the Sox against RHP.

So yeah, he is an elite hitter against RHP.  Sorry you don't like stats that matter.  

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Batting average is irrelevant.  He has a career 135 wRC+ against RHP.  That means he is 35% better against RHP than an average MLBer.  Even in his down 2021, he had 119 wRC+, which would be good for the 3rd best hitter on the Sox against RHP.

So yeah, he is an elite hitter against RHP.  Sorry you don't like stats that matter.  

Again, how does any of this help the Sox in 2022?

Sox need 2022 help, not a lotto ticket for 2023.

13 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

“And an actual OF at that. No more DHs playing OF.”

Pollock is an actual outfielder and when Vaughn plays RF; he too is actually an outfielder. 

I said this before: offer every team in baseball, you have a choice of Vaughn or Conforto in right field, but Vaughn can only play RF, who would you rather have? Because of his bat, every team would take Vaughn. Why. Because his bat truly is elite.

Fortunately, Vaughn can also play 1B or LF so that scenario doesn’t matter or will exist next year.

I also don’t expect Pollock back next year as more than a platoon OF if he picks up his option. Or released and eat the money.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Lol, yea, why would the Sox need an elite hitter against RHP? 

To be correct, projected by some to return after a major injury as an elite hitter. Let's keep taking chances, eventually they will pan out. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

To be correct, projected by some to return after a major injury as an elite hitter. Let's keep taking chances, eventually they will pan out. 

Or we can keep running out an right handed heavy lineup that cannot hit RHP.  Surely our luck will change in that regard eventually, right?  Our team has been so poor against RHP this year we probably won't make the playoffs, but if we do, surely we'll be facing studly RHP.  Let's just cross our fingers our free swinging RHH club decides to learn how to hit it effectively that series! 

If you are signing him with the belief that anything he does this season is gravy, good. If you expect anything from him this year, bad. It was interesting to read what Boras said about Rocker in the article. I think the comp plan where they get a draft pick one selection lower, gives teams an out with any kind of alarm bell. I bet if the comp for not signing Rocker was a 2nd or 3rd rounder this year, he'd be a Met. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He's played 3 games in AA, with a few weeks left in the season. Perhaps he is an in season call up in 2023 if he is promoted and can mash in AAA the first half of the year, but he is not on the Opening Day roster.

Doesn’t matter. He should be up by Memorial Day 2023. Run Engel/Vaughn out there in RF for the first 6 weeks if you have to. Still a better option than a guy that is now a 1.5-2 WAR player (maybe) that had an entire season off due to injury and will be overpaid based on past performance.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Huh? Why would we say we were right? Lol we would have been wrong to sign him to a multi-year deal last off-season. Gambling on basically a one year deal while giving up nothing seems fine for a team that doesn’t have anything to trade or spend for a star RF. Better than playing non-DH’s out there.

I’d bet a combo of Engel/Vaughn outproduces Conforto in RF next season. And they’d be cheaper too. Cespedes and Colas are close as well. They should provide plenty of corner OF depth next year.

40 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Now that is some circular logic.  We all know he is hurt, and has been hurt this year.  Again, that shouldn't be this confusing.  Let me break this down.

He also plays RF.  Pollock does not/cannot.

Conforto is 28.  Pollock is 34.  Which is more likely to recover back to their career numbers once health is resolved?

Including all stats going back to 2015, Conforto still has a higher OPS, even including his injury filled 2021 where he still put up a 100 OPS +  Pollock this season has put up a 70 OPS+

Huh? Conforto will be 30 at the start of next season.

36 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Again, how does any of this help the Sox in 2022?

Sox need 2022 help, not a lotto ticket for 2023.

Agreed. Sox need someone to help THIS season. As in, someone that they can plug into the lineup within the next two weeks for the last two months of the season. I know it won’t happen but I’d be all for a Soto acquisition. The window is this season and the next two seasons anyways. Go for it. 

3 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’d bet a combo of Engel/Vaughn outproduces Conforto in RF next season. And they’d be cheaper too. Cespedes and Colas are close as well. They should provide plenty of corner OF depth next year.

There's room for both Vaughn and Conforto to both be in the lineup next season. Doesn't have to be either/or. Plus, Engel can still get plenty of PT against lefties for Conforto and late inning defense for Vaughn/Eloy.

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

There's room for both Vaughn and Conforto to both be in the lineup next season. Doesn't have to be either/or. Plus, Engel can still get plenty of PT against lefties for Conforto and late inning defense for Vaughn/Eloy.

Yea, I don’t see it. Not for what I would consider a marginal upgrade at best. You’ve got Eloy, Vaughn, Robert, Engel, Sheets, and Pollock fighting for 4 spots with Cespedes and Colas on the way next year. If you’re adding another OF, it better be a significant upgrade. It doesn’t have to be Soto, but at least someone on Brandon Nimmo’s level at least.