Fire Rick Hahn

Chicago White Sox

The rebuild peaked in 2020.  They could have beaten Oakland (in contrast Houston in 2021), and got Rickyed to some extent.  Could have beaten anyone in the league.  Since then, some downturn in performances and some atrocious Hahn moves (young for old is just a losing situation) and here we are.  It looks like an old, tired team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The rebuild peaked in 2020.  They could have beaten Oakland (in contrast Houston in 2021), and got Rickyed to some extent.  Could have beaten anyone in the league.  Since then, some downturn in performances and some atrocious Hahn moves (young for old is just a losing situation) and here we are.  It looks like an old, tired team.

They had 2 starters in 2020. They could have beaten Oakland, but that was about it.

• Like 1

Multi-Championship Window Report Card (2020-2022)

F+ 2022 Trade Deadline

• McGuire for Diekman
  • F- Nothing Else

2022 Offseason 

• F--- Pass on Rodon's QO 
  • F----- Kimbrel's Option
  • Graveman FA
  • Leury FA
  • D Kelly FA
  • Velasquez FA
  • Harrison FA
  • F - Kimbrel for Pollock
  • Collins for McGuire
  • D Crick FA
  • F - Right Field (Nothing)

D - 2021 Trade Deadline

• Heuer & Madrigal for Kimbrel
  • F - Pilkington for Hernandez
  • B+ Horn for Tepera

B+ 2021 Offseason 

• Dunning and Weems for Lynn
  • F- Eaton FA
  • A Hendricks FA
  • A+ Rodon FA
  • A+++ Hamilton FA
  • Lamb

2020 Trade Deadline

• Future Considerations for Dyson
  • Yolmer Sanchez FA
  • F- Nothing Else

D 2020 Offseason 

• A+ Abreu FA
  • Grandal FA
  • D Detwiler FA
  • Walker for Mazara
  • Burr FA
  • F Delmonico FA
  • D Gio Gonzalez FA
  • D Keuchel FA
  • F Encarnacion FA
  • D Cishek FA
  • Like 3

Actually, I just looked at Naquin’s stats so far with the Mets and I really want Rick Hahn gone.  Three bombs and 0.7 fWAR in 10 games!?!  For reference, Vaughn is at 0.8 fWAR in 88 games despite a 131 wRC+.  And no, I’m not suggesting Naquin would have been the perfect addition, but he was a legit upgrade that would have cost us basically nothing.  Alas, Hahn had to pretend he had a shot at Ohtani.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Actually, I just looked at Naquin’s stats so far with the Mets and I really want Rick Hahn gone.  Three bombs and 0.7 fWAR in 10 games!?!  For reference, Vaughn is at 0.8 fWAR in 88 games despite a 131 wRC+.  And no, I’m not suggesting Naquin would have been the perfect addition, but he was a legit upgrade that would have cost us basically nothing.  Alas, Hahn had to pretend he had a shot at Ohtani.

Yeah I saw Naquin’s homer early in the day yesterday while working and thought “damn, if only we had picked up even him.”

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I saw Naquin’s homer early in the day yesterday while working and thought “damn, if only we had picked up even him.”

Or Drury.  Or Gallo.

Do something.  At least find a competent defender if nothing else.  But no, we already have Engel and Leury on the bench.

Also, Elijah Tatis Era is officially over before it even got started in lowest A ball.  Brilliant.

Edited by caulfield12

White Sox executing Jerry Reinsdorf's third place carrot position.

PECOTA Projects on 8/11/22

AL CENTRAL

distribution chart
Sim
W
Sim
L
Sim
W %
DC
RS
DC
RA
Div
%
WC
%
Playoff
%
PAdj
%
WS
%
D1
%
D7
%
Cleveland 84.2 77.8 .520 712 704 44.0 13.8 57.8 28.5 2.1 8.9 12.9
Minnesota 83.2 78.8 .514 729 711 31.1 14.1 45.2 24.1 2.6 -6.1 -12.6
Chicago 82.4 79.6 .509 708 723 24.9 11.5 36.4 19.7 2.0 -2.2 -5.2
Kansas City 69.4 92.6 .428 661 788 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 -0.1 0.0
Detroit 66.9 95.1 .413 573 719 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

Rick Hahn was perfect as a White Sox GM this season. He put out just enough talent to convince everyone from Vegas to Soxtalk that this was a legit playoff team. Excitement, optimism, sales, sponsorships, it was all good in April. 

There just wasn't any margin for things to go wrong. Injuries exposed a weak bench, MiLB system, and manager. Multiple players slumps and declines exposed a declining manager desperate to preserve his legacy by taking huge gambles and questionable (at best) decisions. 

Fire Hahn? No. He's exactly what we Sox fans should expect. He's the gold standard. Just enough, but not too much. It's our history, our present, and our future. 

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Multi-Championship Window Report Card (2020-2022)

F+ 2022 Trade Deadline

• McGuire for Diekman
  • F- Nothing Else

2022 Offseason 

• F--- Pass on Rodon's QO 
  • F----- Kimbrel's Option
  • Graveman FA
  • Leury FA
  • D Kelly FA
  • Velasquez FA
  • Harrison FA
  • F - Kimbrel for Pollock
  • Collins for McGuire
  • D Crick FA
  • F - Right Field (Nothing)

D - 2021 Trade Deadline

• Heuer & Madrigal for Kimbrel
  • F - Pilkington for Hernandez
  • B+ Horn for Tepera

B+ 2021 Offseason 

• Dunning and Weems for Lynn
  • F- Eaton FA
  • A Hendricks FA
  • A+ Rodon FA
  • A+++ Hamilton FA
  • Lamb

2020 Trade Deadline

• Future Considerations for Dyson
  • Yolmer Sanchez FA
  • F- Nothing Else

D 2020 Offseason 

• A+ Abreu FA
  • Grandal FA
  • D Detwiler FA
  • Walker for Mazara
  • Burr FA
  • F Delmonico FA
  • D Gio Gonzalez FA
  • D Keuchel FA
  • F Encarnacion FA
  • D Cishek FA

It's really eye opening when it's all laid out. 

To me, it's the bullpen. You don't want to be the Phillies each year and piss away games right and left, but you also don't need to be the Yankees having $50mm in a bullpen, especially as a (puke) mid-market team. Hahn is smart enough to know the constraints he's working within. As such he has to be smart with his money. Now it doesn't help that Crochet was out for the season or that Bummer sucked and was out too. Joe Kelly though? I thought that price was high to start, let alone after learning he put it in his contract that he couldn't pitch back to back games ... like what... that means you know he wasn't fully healthy or were concerned and still gave that money. It's small moves when you're a good team trying to get over the hump to a WS that matter. Wasting the Kelly $$ and Leury $$ (on bullpen/util) is a dumb move. Guys like Leury are a dime a dozen. That's what? $12mm anually pissed away? $35mm over three years? Add in Eaton at his price... were up to $15-20mm annually wasted each year .... that money can land you a real difference maker like Rodon or a Castellanos. You don't win a WS because of Eaton or Kelly or Leury -- you win because of difference makers. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

The problem is with the owner.  If he fires Rick, which is a stretch, he will replace him with another internal "white sox" guy.  So what, Getz?  Major league organizations don't work this way.    

I have such little faith in the organization that at this point I’d just welcome seeing a different person fail in the role.

• TLR 1

8 hours ago, southsideirish71 said:

The problem is with the owner.  If he fires Rick, which is a stretch, he will replace him with another internal "white sox" guy.  So what, Getz?  Major league organizations don't work this way.    

I have been pleasantly surprised when Shirley changed the direction of the team somewhat at least as far as some acquisitions. So good things can happen with change, even if it’s blind luck. As long as JR gets his dusty  ass out of the way. He was moved aside when the rebuild began. I don’t know what stalled it out, but he again was a part of the stall at least.

• Like 1

The plan should be Kenny resigns, Rick gets canned, Tony goes home, and JR brings in a new staff. We know it won't happen, but the only reason it won't is because JR doesn't want different more competent people. What more do you need to see that will show you LaRussa is horrible? If the offseason didn't convince you, how could the deadline not convince you your GM is not capable of getting the job done? And what does KW do? If he is advising, you're. 500 with a bloated payroll, and he wants to retire. Let him.

White Sox fans are being held hostage by JRs stubborness.

This is a case of you can't teach an old dog new tricks on so many levels. The Sox have to quit operating like it was 20 years ago.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't see a high probability of Jerry. Hahn or Tony leaving after this season, setting aside a health issue or death.

Jerry still views this as a very successful season, regardless of what the team does.